Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU ???

Default Re: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU

Gentlemen. New to the forum but not the condition.
    I understand your frustration with the HRU and Honda in general but I am perplexed by your solution. Trading the flawed local Honda product for an American "tastes" version which is unsuited to our conditions (unless suitably modified) appears counter productive. Once imported, the HRX is well over 1k. It carries no warranty or local parts back up and clearly requires significant modification in order to operate effectively. Moreover, it is still a Honda; the very brand which seems to have garnered so much criticism of late.
    Why not simply purchase a locally available product from another brand?

Default Re: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU

Might be worth reading the whole thread first. Arfa has had his for over 12 months and has held up quite well. Mods have been minor compared to those he did on his HRU's (would be worth searching for that thread also). It has a bigger engine, 190cc v's the 160cc on the local Hondas, so not the same underpowered one everyone complains about. Those who have bought them so far are extremely happy. The only mod I will be doing at this stage is the spacer under the blades to bring the height down (need to find someone to do that for me). In terms of no local backup, I've made 1 warranty claim in 9 years (for a broken axle) and have done all servicing and repairs myself. Parts are easily ordered from America and sometimes get delivered faster than australian ordered parts. My mower should be here today sometime so will let you know how I go.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddy View Post
    Gentlemen. New to the forum but not the condition.
    I understand your frustration with the HRU and Honda in general but I am perplexed by your solution. Trading the flawed local Honda product for an American "tastes" version which is unsuited to our conditions (unless suitably modified) appears counter productive. Once imported, the HRX is well over 1k. It carries no warranty or local parts back up and clearly requires significant modification in order to operate effectively. Moreover, it is still a Honda; the very brand which seems to have garnered so much criticism of late.
    I'm wondering - are you a mowing contractor, a Honda rep, or someone looking to sell equipment?

Take the time to read some of the background, as already suggested.
    This is a forum for us mowies to help and support each other, trying to make a living.
    I don't make a single cent from my efforts - it's all karma to help my brothers of the great lawn.
    If you are one of us - welcome to the forum, I hope you find something usefull.
    If not - be carefull your sales tactics don't backfire on you.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Ordering HRX is a risky business since no support locally...parts wise, you need to order it overseas cause some parts are not available here.

HRX217HYA will cost $1200 (via fedex) or less than $1000 (via sea) VS $1400 for HRU
    I doubt that we would get good warranty support locally either
    I have $300 value of HRX parts which could lasts me for 1 year
    (read my post)...I never touch HRU anymore

so if you think another brand is better than HRX, then tell us WHAT BRAND(S)??? I'm pretty sure that my self and others will willing to try it and support it

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    I'm wondering - are you a mowing contractor, a Honda rep, or someone looking to sell equipment?

Take the time to read some of the background, as already suggested.
    This is a forum for us mowies to help and support each other, trying to make a living.
    I don't make a single cent from my efforts - it's all karma to help my brothers of the great lawn.
    If you are one of us - welcome to the forum, I hope you find something usefull.
    If not - be carefull your sales tactics don't backfire on you.
    I started to wonder as well after seeing he was selling some mowers in another thread.

Hi Arfa, Matt et al.
    I have been one of you for longer than most. Please don't mistake my newbie status on the site as inexperience in the game.
    The sale of two Rovers (one a NOS Briggs 850 from 2 models ago) certainly doesn't make me a dealer, rep or charlatan; simply a lucky bloke who was in the right place at the right time. I bought the last of a defunct operators small stock holding which contained a mix of 910 and 850 engine machines. The two machines for sale are simply excess to my current needs.
    Hope that this addresses the conspiracy theories.
    I can't help but think that my main point has been missed. If you are SO dissatisfied with the Honda product, WHY go to the trouble and expense of sourcing yet another Honda (but this time from another country)?
    After my last experience with a pair of HRU's, I swore blind that I would never again touch a Honda product. I just naturally thought that most people would feel the same way. After all, once bitten, twice shy.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddy View Post
    Hi Arfa, Matt et al.
    I have been one of you for longer than most. Please don't mistake my newbie status on the site as inexperience in the game.
    The sale of two Rovers (one a NOS Briggs 850 from 2 models ago) certainly doesn't make me a dealer, rep or charlatan; simply a lucky bloke who was in the right place at the right time. I bought the last of a defunct operators small stock holding which contained a mix of 910 and 850 engine machines. The two machines for sale are simply excess to my current needs.
    Hope that this addresses the conspiracy theories.
    I can't help but think that my main point has been missed. If you are SO dissatisfied with the Honda product, WHY go to the trouble and expense of sourcing yet another Honda (but this time from another country)?
    After my last experience with a pair of HRU's, I swore blind that I would never again touch a Honda product. I just naturally thought that most people would feel the same way. After all once bitten, twice shy.
    No conspiracy theory. I too will never buy another local Honda, overpriced for what they do. If you read the start of the thread you will see why Arfa and others rate the US Honda as one of the best mowers on the market. Sorry for the misunderstanding and welcome to the forum.

Sorry Fast freddy
    Ya gotta be on yer toes, so I'm wary of new blokes by habit.
    Like you said - once bitten, twice shy.

Thanks for your opinion
    The only reason I use the USA Honda is because it would cost me more to make one as good from scratch, and the Rover's I've used in the past have had durability issues.
    I've tried Proscapes attempt and been very disappointed, checked out Toro's, Husqies, Masport (good pushy mulch mower like the old Bolens), Ariens (only offer the 160cc), and all the Fleabay stuff (cr@p). But the best I've been able to find is the HRX
    It's probably because I'll only use self drive mowers (local area is all steep hills) that I don't go for another brand in a pushie.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

New toy arrived yesterday arvo. Will play with it home today. Looking forward to next week.

Had a play with it on my back lawn. A lot quieter than my old mowers. Nice cut. One curious thing I came across was the height setting. In Arfa's review he said he put a 9mm spacer to bring the blades down to about 5mm above the bottom of the deck, but mine seems to be about there without the spacer. So on the 2nd setting it cuts the same as my 196 on a 5. Which is fine as most of my lawns are on that setting, will have to investigate further. The down side so far is the mower bay on my trailer. It was designed for 2 HRU's side by side. The wider deck means the old 216 won't fit. Got around it by folding the handle down on the HRX and putting the catcher on top. Annoying but not a deal breaker. Would still have bought it regardless. Looking forward to getting it out there next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1972 View Post
    Had a play with it on my back lawn. A lot quieter than my old mowers. Nice cut. One curious thing I came across was the height setting. In Arfa's review he said he put a 9mm spacer to bring the blades down to about 5mm above the bottom of the deck, but mine seems to be about there without the spacer.
    FWIW I've just used the mower as it came out of the box, never had the need to lower the blades with a spacer or anything else for that matter.

They do a nice cut huh!

Quote Originally Posted by yard mates View Post
    FWIW I've just used the mower as it came out of the box, never had the need to lower the blades with a spacer or anything else for that matter.

They do a nice cut huh!
    Very nice. Had to adjust the throttle cable a little as it wasn't hitting full revs. With the raining finally arriving I'm looking forward to testing it properly.

Ordered my new Honda HRX this morning, spare blades are on backorder so it might be a couple of weeks before it arrives. Looking forward to giving it a good workout over the busy christmas period (now that we have had some rain). From reading other posts on this thread it seems like this is a far superior mower to the HRU so really looking forward to using it. Thanks to all you guys who have posted on this thread.

How's the pricing with exchange-rate at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    How's the pricing with exchange-rate at the moment?
    Around $1350 with 6 sets of spare blades, a bit more expensive than earlier posts but still cheaper than the Aussie HRU.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast