Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Which Laptop

Default Which Laptop

I have been having trouble with my laptop and reading some other posts so have some other guys like Ian and redeye, So I was wondering what everyone is using ie brands and whether it is worth switching to apple, I think mine is cactus so will have to get a new one soon.

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Which Laptop

compaq presario cq62
    as for apple v pc i think i paid just over $400 for my laptop an apple would have set me back closer to $1500 at the time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

stick with the trusted brands i.e. hp/compaq, asus, fujitsu, panasonic, sony, toshiba.... avoid others i.e. acer, dell, gateway.... I just got a asus k56c from dick smith on special for $820 boxing day special but they're well over a grand again now; go for a intel core cpu (i5 or i7) and try and get win 7 NOT win 8, unless you're prepared to get a touchscreen computer and are quite nerdy ( this new one of mine is win8 unfortunately, finding a few work-arounds, but its doing my head in all the same)

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I have had an Apple for about 4 years now and love it. I have had no issues with it and is still in great shape. I think most Mac users wouldn't recommend anything else.
    I expect my laptop will last twice as long as my wife's laptop which is an Asus, purchased 6 months after mine.

Depends what you need it for really. If you're paying more than around $600 for something decent you are getting ripped off. Something like this for example http://arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23948&pid=52121&p=product should run all your office applications, email, browse the web, watch movies, listen to music etc etc. For around $50 you can open the back and replace the 2 x 2gb ram modules with 2 x 4gb ones (or maybe 2 x 8gb ones if it supports it). And if you need more storage just get a usb HDD. Something like this is not top of the line but unless you are running high end gaming or video applications it's all you would ever really need. Before considering switching to apple, bear in mind that it's a completely different operating system which, if you are not familiar with, can take a bit of getting used to. If you know windows, stick with windows.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

My old laptop is getting pretty sad, so I got myself a new one this morning. Asus with Windows 8.1. Good way to fill in a wet day. It's going to take some time to find my way around it all as it seems a lot different to Vista.

With win8, there are some updates/settings or 3rd party software (free) you can addin to get you the more standard windows 7 / vista interface rather than the 'tiled' desktop which many ppl don't like.

retro ui, costs 4 or 5 bucks

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thanks Paul & Joe. I'll look into that.
    Is there a program/app installed to import photos from phone/camera? Like Win Photo Gallery? Looks like I might be able to do it from Paint? I could install the progs from motorola and Canon but didn't really want to do that.

Have to pump out a few 600's this week to pay for the thing now

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Thanks Paul & Joe. I'll look into that.
    Is there a program/app installed to import photos from phone/camera? Like Win Photo Gallery? Looks like I might be able to do it from Paint? I could install the progs from motorola and Canon but didn't really want to do that.

Have to pump out a few 600's this week to pay for the thing now
    Sometimes you can plug your phone in to the laptop via USB and the phone comes up as a device and then you can navigate through your phone files and download what you want. What I find quicker for a few photos though is to email from my phone to an email account on the laptop or desktop.

I use moborobo to d/load photos off my phone

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Having come from an IT background, I have never had any issues with Dell or HP, in fact I run a fleet of dell's at the moment and just upgraded my own laptop last week.

Steer clear of Acer and Lenova