Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new mower

Default Buying a new mower

Hey guys, this is my second season with all my gear, and I'm thinking after this season finishes I'm going to update my gear, think 2 years is a good time to change, now first thing is my mower, it's a Chonda, I'm very happy with it, never had any major issues, now business is good, should I now buy a genuine Honda or keep with the Chonda, bearing in my I can buy 2 chondas for the price of 1 genuine,
    I get a better warranty with the genuine Honda, with the Chonda I get nothing at all.
    Or what other mowers have a good rep as Honda I'm open to suggestion,
    Also as a whippy I really like the Stihl, sounds like a 4 banga and has lots of guts...
    Thanks guys
    Stevi

Default Re: Buying a new mower

Steve I would buy another chonda I am happy with mine. I am also happy with my honda 4 stroke whippy. I had one in 97 but that was way to heavy but they are a lot lighter now. But hey if I was a rich dude like ya self I would get the real deal and get a genuine honda with a snorkel and all the bells and whistles
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

honda......mum always said "if you don't have something nice to say......."

well, they DO make nice bikes I s'pose

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I like my rover its been good and it already had the snorkel fitted and it only cost $560 for the 20inch. I wouldn't buy another honda just due to the price noway are they 3x better then the rover

I would ask if you current gear is still ok, why purchase new stuff, keep going with the old gear till it gives up or becomes unrealiable.

once it becomes unreliable, it is too late and it costs you.
    If it is still ok you can ebay it and recoup a good whack of the original outlay.
    My stihl blower was many years old, got 170 for it off ebay, the new one was 399, so a good turnaround me thinks.
    saying that with good gear (unsure about chondas, as i have no experience with them) 2 years is probably shorter than i would turn them around.
    Sold my last 2 hondas after 5 years, got 200+each for them.
    I have a honda pushie and a rover self proplelled.
    The pushie will last forever now, as i am a lazy bstard and use the sp most of the time these days.
    Dunno how i went for 14 years without one

The rover, i bought a good base 2nd hand and stuck an 850 briggs (off ebay, 370 new) on it.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

if you never had a problem with the chonda stay with it.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

YuH the way I see it if I get rid of them now they are still worth something, and it should only cost me 1/2 of the total value of the new equipment to replace,
    Say for instance my whippy I honestly can't remember what I paid for it but say I paid $400 I'll ask $200 to $250 so I only have to come up with $150 to replace the whippy, but if I wait till its totally knackerd I'll get nothing for it,and I have to fork out $400
    Umm I like the rovers, but not keen on the Chinese motors I really like the Briggs but none available any more....

I would upgrade now if you have the coin and keep the current Chonda as a backup. For the sake of a few hundred bucks you will have a good backup mower. Service it, put new blades on it, and keep it there ready to roll in case of a breakdown.

As for Honda mowers I think they are very overrated. I had Rover and Honda and preferred the Rover. There is also the Proscape option as well. It has the 6HP Kawasakie engine.

http://www.hillslawnandgardenequipme...ndex.php?p=1_7

so long as you have reliable backups in case you need them, seems a good idea to sell them

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    so long as you have reliable backups in case you need them, seems a good idea to sell them
    I agree but then again if you have a reliable backup why not just use it until you have to replace it i keep thinking i should get a new shindy t260 as mine are both over 12 years old but they both still go and do what i want them to so why spend money until i need to
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

do you have the link as to which chonda you brought buying
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I agree but then again if you have a reliable backup why not just use it until you have to replace it i keep thinking i should get a new shindy t260 as mine are both over 12 years old but they both still go and do what i want them to so why spend money until i need to
    I agree with you Ian personally, I've never sold any gear - either ran 'em til they died or I've still got 'em stashed away as backups

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thinking about it i dont know why you would sell if the mower is under $750 i would run it to the ground the longer you have it the more money you would make off it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast