Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 123

Thread: Drought affecting business?!

  1. #106
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,472

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    this was the view out my bedroom window on 4 jan

    81610428_10215012077846555_9206335301750882304_o.jpg




    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  2. #107
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    That's Bl**dy Horrendous, I knew you were in a badly affected area, but not that close.
    I've got some G/Trees like that in the 2 acre block behind us that I wish he would cut down further as there close to our boundary.

    Pulled the pin on working today, smoke as bad as yesterday and zero P2 Musks in town as I tried from early this morning at all places on the off chance. Officeworks even closed due to smoke.
    Daughters in medical field and scored some today for dear ol dad for work tomorrow. Not all customers will accept repeat delays. (doh)
    Cheers Garry

  3. #108
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    That's Bl**dy Horrendous, I knew you were in a badly affected area, but not that close.
    I've got some G/Trees like that in the 2 acre block behind us that I wish he would cut down further as there close to our boundary.

    Pulled the pin on working today, smoke as bad as yesterday and zero P2 Musks in town as I tried from early this morning at all places on the off chance. Officeworks even closed due to smoke.
    Daughters in medical field and scored some today for dear ol dad for work tomorrow. Not all customers will accept repeat delays. (doh)
    Stay safe everyone

  4. #109
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Thanks kevinsuzanne,

    Yesterday our area had 999 as an air index, above 300 is considered hazardous. it could have been higher as the equipment maxed out.
    Last night as the sunset you just couldn't see, street lamps did the fog thing.
    I texted most clients that i wasn't coming yesterday as working in that stuff and on Sunday had consequences to me with Monday just as bad.

    Today Tue was smokey ass in the morning with conditions getting better in the arvo but not as severe as Monday was (461 today midday) two clients asked why I didn't work yesterday WTF.
    Had to take off the P2 Mask at 1.00pm as it was unbearable as the day got hotter and Ive got the better exhale valve type release one.
    Even when it over 40 for a week and like 41 this Friday and 46.1 the other day, there's bugger all compassion by some.

    Seriously as of late this arvo I have enough of this game.
    This could be my last year doing this, as Super says I'm OK till 115.

    Maybe 3 cold Crownies will settle me down tonight for tomorrow.
    Edit, Just had a regular customer text for their lawn to be done just as I'm typing this with an "Only do it when Heat and Air Quality is Ok attached", What a champ she is, i texted back a thanks for their kindness and thought.

    Rant Over,
    Cheers Garry

  5. #110

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Thanks kevinsuzanne,

    Yesterday our area had 999 as an air index, above 300 is considered hazardous. it could have been higher as the equipment maxed out.
    Last night as the sunset you just couldn't see, street lamps did the fog thing.
    I texted most clients that i wasn't coming yesterday as working in that stuff and on Sunday had consequences to me with Monday just as bad.

    Today Tue was smokey ass in the morning with conditions getting better in the arvo but not as severe as Monday was (461 today midday) two clients asked why I didn't work yesterday WTF.
    Had to take off the P2 Mask at 1.00pm as it was unbearable as the day got hotter and Ive got the better exhale valve type release one.
    Even when it over 40 for a week and like 41 this Friday and 46.1 the other day, there's bugger all compassion by some.

    Seriously as of late this arvo I have enough of this game.
    This could be my last year doing this, as Super says I'm OK till 115.

    Maybe 3 cold Crownies will settle me down tonight for tomorrow.
    Edit, Just had a regular customer text for their lawn to be done just as I'm typing this with an "Only do it when Heat and Air Quality is Ok attached", What a champ she is, i texted back a thanks for their kindness and thought.

    Rant Over,
    Maybe just tell those few clients without compassion to stick their job where the sun don’t shine.
    From experience that should make you feel much better
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  6. #111
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    You replied to quick, i relogged in to deleted my typing to put a thanks to kevinsuzanne only. Oh well the post can stay, I'll get over it by tonight. lol
    Cheers Garry

  7. #112
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    I'm good,

    Came home late from a long hard day and exhausted, giddy from recent heat, plus hazardous off the scale smoke over the last week also making it feel even hotter with sore eyes.
    From the 7news tonite East Gippslands smoke is coming our way on top of what we already had from Corryong and Tumbarumba/Snowy. But it was better in the arvo today.
    If you wear a P2 in our environment on warm days its like a pizza oven clipped to your nose. Just no Hawaiian Pizzas to eat though. lol
    Many in our town are doing the wet towel with slight vinegar mix over a drying rack with fans blowing to minimise smoke in the house. My house is well sealed using split systems with downlights all fire capped sealed. So only done that towel trick yesterday, jury is out on how effective.

    No beer tonight, it will give me a bigger headache, so its Gatorade and bed early.
    Re the drought, I have noticed many of the start up operators gone in my travels. Only seeing the Franchise operators and established guys like me about. These guys are maybe selling hay now or on a PO cruise. lol
    Friday 41 and 40km winds according to Bom, lets hope for the best in the fire regions.

    Often thought about posting a topic when guys thought it was time to retire or slow the businness right up. Be it in good health or health issues like hip, back, age,or just time to chill, etc. But that's for another time.
    Cheers Garry

  8. #113

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    I'm good,

    Came home late from a long hard day and exhausted, giddy from recent heat, plus hazardous off the scale smoke over the last week also making it feel even hotter with sore eyes.
    From the 7news tonite East Gippslands smoke is coming our way on top of what we already had from Corryong and Tumbarumba/Snowy. But it was better in the arvo today.
    If you wear a P2 in our environment on warm days its like a pizza oven clipped to your nose. Just no Hawaiian Pizzas to eat though. lol
    Many in our town are doing the wet towel with slight vinegar mix over a drying rack with fans blowing to minimise smoke in the house. My house is well sealed using split systems with downlights all fire capped sealed. So only done that towel trick yesterday, jury is out on how effective.

    No beer tonight, it will give me a bigger headache, so its Gatorade and bed early.
    Re the drought, I have noticed many of the start up operators gone in my travels. Only seeing the Franchise operators and established guys like me about. These guys are maybe selling hay now or on a PO cruise. lol
    Friday 41 and 40km winds according to Bom, lets hope for the best in the fire regions.

    Often thought about posting a topic when guys thought it was time to retire or slow the businness right up. Be it in good health or health issues like hip, back, age,or just time to chill, etc. But that's for another time.


    After divorce no.2 I could be working up until retirement age - mine is 67 but it could be 70 by then for others. Health issues I will just have to manage and make sure the body can still function when I am retired. No good if i can't hold a fishing rod, swing a golf club, hold a cold beer, or tie my shoe laces etc etc
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  9. #114
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post

    After divorce no.2 I could be working up until retirement age - mine is 67 but it could be 70 by then for others. Health issues I will just have to manage and make sure the body can still function when I am retired. No good if i can't hold a fishing rod, swing a golf club, hold a cold beer, or tie my shoe laces etc etc
    I'd reckon a divorce would mess the financials big time, let alone the mental side.
    Working is optional for me and has been for sometime and I only get the "why I'm doing this" in our brutal summers and OH - pee soup smoke doesn't help lol.
    I'm just frightened to stop, I get bored on extended days off, ie due to rain, Christmas or limited work period in winter.
    I've a nice boat to take out that's in showroom condition in my shed or the 1250cc Bike. But working hard is in my blood as its what I did in my old career and it remains with me.
    Around Sept I drafted a post in detail to launch the topic as some members here I believe would relate to it fully and might like to put their thoughts into. But l never got to hit the send button, just the Preview Post button.
    Anyhow its a post topic of interest I think.

    Tomorrow a lazy 37 with 20km winds. But Friday now forecast 42 and 40 km winds with Mt Hotham 50km & Tumbarumba/Snowy region 55km winds + thunderstorms according to bom. It's not looking good again.
    Windy at the moment and smoke thickening again as night falls, thanks to Total Tools today got some Premium Prochoice P2 valved masks. Bunnings have had no stock for some time.

    A few calls coming in too from non regulars which I knock back, which could reinforce my comments that newbie victa corvette, curved shaft whipper mower guys have disappeared somewhat with the drought.
    Cheers Garry

  10. #115
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    this was the view out my bedroom window on 4 jan

    81610428_10215012077846555_9206335301750882304_o.jpg
    That is definetley a redeye looking window ;-)

    That is the sort of view where you start running around the house with buckets/ hoses/ ladders etc, think about shoving the family in the car, put some cotton clothes on and either just wait or get the **** out of there. It's nowhere near over yet.

  11. #116
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Maybe just tell those few clients without compassion to stick their job where the sun don’t shine.
    From experience that should make you feel much better
    egg zachary. There is never a shortage of crap customers. There is however a shortage of good ones.

  12. #117
    Senior Member NLALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    1,751

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Steve that quote is gold.....

  13. #118
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,472

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    egg zachary. There is never a shortage of crap customers. There is however a shortage of good ones.
    spot on
    .....................




    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  14. #119
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,839

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I mowed my first green grass since July yesterday. A small area was lucky enough to be under 2 storms of 10-15mm, but the growth is wilting already.

    Most of my service area hasn't had enough rain to grow anything but a few weeds.

    Attachment 9529

    Attachment 9530
    I just mowed this one again for the first time since the end of October.
    Had a bit of rain for January, but the response is slow.
    I mowed this at full speed overr most of the area today.

  15. #120
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Its so dry now if you even look at a tree it will explode in flames. Dunno if it is true but 12million hectares burnt and still going.

    bushfires.io is a great little website if anyone has a fire in there area or is just interested in the scale of this. Gathers all the info into one site.

    You might find it handy for down your way redeye.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •