Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Drought affecting business?!

Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

MIldura next week,
    I was looking at ours at 38, 41, 43, 44. Then I thought to search Mildura.
    Think CUB have extra deliveries of Beer headed your way this weekend.
    How can grass grow in that weather.

BOM Weather Forecast 4.30pm 13 Dec

Monday 16 December
    SummaryMin 16Max 38Hot and sunny.Chance of any rain: 0%

Tuesday 17 December
    SummaryMin 21Max 41Hot

Wednesday 18 December
    SummaryMin 24Max 44Very hot

Thursday 19 December
    SummaryMin 24Max 46Very hot

Friday 20 December
    SummaryMin 28Max 47Very hot (It should be re named "Brutally Hot").
    Cheers Garry

even cactii would struggle ....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Well this is the worst xmas lead up and expected coming out of xmas in my 10 yrs doing this lawn trade. With no rain and continuous high 38, 40 or 40+ everyday.
    Next week is the same again 38,39,41 everyday with zero thunderstorm type rains or localised arvo showers. Although we enjoyed a cool change today 36deg, but it felt hotter with the thick smoked orange skies.
    18 cancellations this week with lawns just dead with many clients not wanting to me until into Feb. With others mowed say 2wks ago with no return dates on radar as the zero rain and steady heat remains.

The ones that water everyday in my client mix, don't seem to have much growth just holding their lawns alive and visits to them have become 3wks and will stretch out 4wks in the real heat of Jan, Feb.
    Xmas/NewYear & Jan/Feb were always the months I could hook up the Jayco and sneak in a week at xmas and a further 2 wks away usually leaving around the last day of the Aust long weekend.

Worst I've seen it not so much re heat just no rain long term and I'm not into the CC stuff as we always have a brutal hot summer but usually with some in between rains. Just stating how it has become along the Murray this season.

Yes, there will still be Turkey and Cold Crownies to be had throughout the festive season. But that will come from the fruits of my old career.
    Seriously, there must be lawnies out there in dry ass inland areas or fire effected areas in real trouble supporting a family & paying rent or a mortgage.
    I was offered a council job this week which i didn't see coming. It was just presented to me with out any conversation pertaining to lawn mowing. But nah!! happy in the freedom in what i do.

Edit;
    Have it in writting personalised to me easy understood supported rules working on TFBan days from CFA Central H/O for days in suburbanised built up green areas. Not taking about properties in the bush or adjoining bush, dry parklands or dry grassed playparks. Which is handy as there's always a someone who knows everything watching.
    Bolted me 9kg water rechargable red extinguisher to rear back inside trailer the other day instead of it being in a non seeable location. When I previously had the Workmate tray Hilux t was always on show bolted on the tray wall behind the rear window.

3 easy remove bolts for when I want the whole trailer clear on occassional tree/shrub heavy prunning jobs. Plus out of season you wouldn't carry this.
    Plus doesn't need removal to load the 42in onboard when needed.
    IMG_1079.jpg
    Cheers Garry

Seeing lots contractor gear for sale on Gumtree lately

Very Helpful Member

Changing a lot of clients over from 2 to 3 weekly now
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Well this is the worst xmas lead up and expected coming out of xmas in my 10 yrs doing this lawn trade. With no rain and continuous high 38, 40 or 40+ everyday.
    Next week is the same again 38,39,41 everyday with zero thunderstorm type rains or localised arvo showers. Although we enjoyed a cool change today 36deg, but it felt hotter with the thick smoked orange skies.
    18 cancellations this week with lawns just dead with many clients not wanting to me until into Feb. With others mowed say 2wks ago with no return dates on radar as the zero rain and steady heat remains.

The ones that water everyday in my client mix, don't seem to have much growth just holding their lawns alive and visits to them have become 3wks and will stretch out 4wks in the real heat of Jan, Feb.
    Xmas/NewYear & Jan/Feb were always the months I could hook up the Jayco and sneak in a week at xmas and a further 2 wks away usually leaving around the last day of the Aust long weekend.

Worst I've seen it not so much re heat just no rain long term and I'm not into the CC stuff as we always have a brutal hot summer but usually with some in between rains. Just stating how it has become along the Murray this season.

Yes, there will still be Turkey and Cold Crownies to be had throughout the festive season. But that will come from the fruits of my old career.
    Seriously, there must be lawnies out there in dry ass inland areas or fire effected areas in real trouble supporting a family & paying rent or a mortgage.
    I was offered a council job this week which i didn't see coming. It was just presented to me with out any conversation pertaining to lawn mowing. But nah!! happy in the freedom in what i do.

Edit;
    Have it in writting personalised to me easy understood supported rules working on TFBan days from CFA Central H/O for days in suburbanised built up green areas. Not taking about properties in the bush or adjoining bush, dry parklands or dry grassed playparks. Which is handy as there's always a someone who knows everything watching.
    Bolted me 9kg water rechargable red extinguisher to rear back inside trailer the other day instead of it being in a non seeable location. When I previously had the Workmate tray Hilux t was always on show bolted on the tray wall behind the rear window.

3 easy remove bolts for when I want the whole trailer clear on occassional tree/shrub heavy prunning jobs. Plus out of season you wouldn't carry this.
    IMG_1079.jpg
    Feeling your pain Gazza, if we dont get rain not many of us will be in this game same time next year.last friday december record
    heat day 47.9. it was 40 deg b4 ten am ,crazy weather.No-one on regular basis mows now just as required.

Edit;

IMG_1079.jpg
    Lawns not growing much here to seems to have gone into survival mode

Its got to the point where when people ask me what they can do for their grass , I tell them to get up on Sunday morning get dressed nicely go to church and pray for rain, otherwise you can just put your head between your legs and kiss your grass goodbye

It is beyond serious, we used to get a couple of over 40 days in a summer, we have already had a bout half a dozen this summer and its just started

More of the same again next wk, zero rain and 36,38,41,41,43. Never seen my own street with completely dead, dried, destroyed lawns.
    Best I go down to 1st Choice and get another box of beer as there's going to be plenty of home time to drink it. lol
    Cheers Garry

More of the same again next wk, zero rain and 36,38,41,41,43. Never seen my own street with completely dead, dried, destroyed lawns.
    Best I go down to 1st Choice and get another box of beer as there's going to be plenty of home time to drink it. lol
    Feel for all you guys doing it very very tough.
    All you guys in Vic and other places where there is rain and good times should be prepared for tougher times. I still remember the drought that broke in 2010? That was tough down here but we still had grass to cut and a little rain.
    Don't ever take anything for granted!!

Nothing to do with Topic Heading apart from working in hot dry conditions.

Was working today new yrs day and one job was at the Albury Airport which is very regular.

Some serious aircraft activity re the fires,
    The big 4 jet engined water carrying planes taking off one after the other, helicopters and one helicopter that was like a Blackhawk but larger at 5 side windows long (not 3) with a long sling air lifting some heavy equipment heading in the Corryong direction after lift off.
    They do base some serious Aviation craft there during the summer and usually amongst the Air Craft and Cranes are two Con Air 4 jet tankers.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Feel for all you guys doing it very very tough.
    All you guys in Vic and other places where there is rain and good times should be prepared for tougher times. I still remember the drought that broke in 2010? That was tough down here but we still had grass to cut and a little rain.
    Don't ever take anything for granted!!
    Seems like everything has really dried out in Melbourne over the last couple of weeks.
    Although probably not unusual

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Seems like everything has really dried out in Melbourne over the last couple of weeks.
    Although probably not unusual
    I’ll take that until the end of February!!
    Will let me catch up a little.
    I have a feeling though it may get quite a bit drier, not what we really need.
    What we need is a good long long soaking especially where the drought and fires are.

What we need is our house after this weekend. lol
    Had two vic gov texts tonight telling us to leave by tonight being in a risk area in an outer town rural edge and my daughter got the same. Don't really know why we got them, bit over the top for us at this stage. But have a Generator, fuel on hand if power is knocked out by fire areas affecting us down the transmission lines on saturday.

Massive community effort going on in town, of sending help to Cudgewa and Corryong like other Communities are doing about the state.
    Burrumbuttock Hay runners in town 5 big trucks. Hotels offering to assist people along with residents offering the same, Shops giving food and making food, people loading up 4WD's with water or food/equipment and heading down.
    Bunnings sending all their generators to the bush, Bunnings has been hit hard for emergency type stock. Trades people downing work and offering their services including an Electrician in our extended family offering his total team to help with electrics.
    It bigger than BenHur the Community support going on. The city is hosting people in need including at schools and Racecourse.
    41 deg tomorrow and 45 windy sat
    Finished work at 11.00am and we had over 380 on the air health app saying it hazardous to health and it was stinging the eyes and throat somewhat.
    Cheers Garry

Haven't worked much in past 2 wks due to extreme heat, fires,total fire ban, smoke etc.

But worked today on my 5 hr commercial job in this smoke today with the lower temp's. Yes-Stupid, but I hadn't done this job for close to 4wks and it can only be done on Sunday's. This picture was taken by local newspaper about 450-500mtr away from my worksite today.

I've always wondered why Ride On Mowers come with headlights, but I now know why. Cleaned the globes, sprayed WD40 in the connectors and on they come. It was only 3 wks ago I air gunned the insides of the lenses out.

Tough day for a lawnie, but not a touch on the conditions our firies are enduring or evacuated people in relief centres.

I think the picture maybe on zoom and showing it slightly more worse though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Garry

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast