Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92

Thread: Drought affecting business?!

  1. #76
    Senior Member djkgrounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deception Bay Qld
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Thanks all. I have a background in Warehousing and Machinery operation, as well as manufacturing. So I should be able to find some work in that industry again. Its not easy looking for work though. After running a business for the last 7 years, everyone want certificates in everything for an entry style job. Not easy for us who have been out of the industry for so long. Might end up back at Tafe yet to expand my knowledge again.

    But I also have a Builder mate they may be able to put me on as an apprentice. He has some major reno jobs coming up over the next few years. He is an ex Tafe trade teacher, so has all the necessary qualifications to be able to train and assess me as we go.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

  2. #77
    Member of forum ASTRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BRIDGEWATER S.AUST
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Sorry to hear Damien.
    Wishing you and all the contractors in Qld/NSW all the best + some bloody spring/summer rains.
    Thankyou for your input over the years to the forum.
    Tomorrow is a brand new day to a wise man.
    Cheers Astro.

  3. #78
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    2,075

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Djk,

    That's very sad to read your posts to leave mowing, but i can fully understand having the need to support a family in this highly seasonal game. Best wishes for the future and hoping you and the family have a good Christmas with the current uncertainty re employment.

    Re the Big Dry,
    Dry ass here in Albury/Wodonga, but calls are still pouring in surprisingly and some of these jobs are big offers. (I only do my normal clients and knock them back).
    Fire hazards are so concerning personally that I've personally taken action at home and with an adjoining rural property. One of my customers and her neighbours incurred serious fire damage & potential fire damage to hers that hit local news last Thursday. I visited her house yesterday and saw what a grass fire can do in gale force winds - I've experienced Lara Fires as a Kid too. The local confined fire by the way is very suss.

    I'm forecasting some serious water issues for the Murray System next Summer with the Hume Weir at 35% and the Dartmouth major back up had 30% taken from it last yr to support the Murray System and they'll take another 30% this summer. (Thats what Dart is for by the way).
    If its a dry winter in 2020 the Murray System will be in NSW/Qld's current situation, but next yr.
    Hume Weir was 32% the other week so big releases are coming from the Snowy and Dartmouth to hold current or 2% higher levels at 35%.
    Dartmouth has high volume holding but poor catchment, so its usually takes a couple or several good winters to get close to filling it. Dartmouth can provide 3 yrs of back up support without good Winter rains. Plus when water levels get low at Dartmouth its Black dead smelly water that gets released.

    Must say traveler's from North coming back through our twin cities say we are greener than what there've seen up North.

    Damien,
    Yes they all want higher education, certificates and more certificates and the competition is fierce. I was a snr Mgr responsible for 150 staff prior to the wind down mowing lifestyle. The bulldust coming out of HR Dept re employment application testing, mind game tests, certificates, commitments to enter into formal training. District Mgrs often required to approve an application, it was becoming a circus.
    So for you being out of it for seven yrs there will be a challenge ahead as your've recognised, but at least your've identified the need for a more consistent reliable income. Whilst not procrastinating on it and making a move, Best Wishes again
    Cheers Garry

  4. #79
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Hi Gaz, Yep the big dry alright ,most of the lawns l do are complete dust .Dust storms most days and stage 1 restrictions
    just started not looking good going into summer,but heard might get good rains in January.

  5. #80
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    2,075

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    Hi Gaz, Yep the big dry alright ,most of the lawns l do are complete dust .Dust storms most days and stage 1 restrictions
    just started not looking good going into summer,but heard might get good rains in January.
    I'm lucky to have a mix of properties with many luxury larger properties that irrigate twice a day. So work load can be what I want or not want it to be.
    For some reason only basic restrictions in town that no one follows.

    After that mega 42deg hot wind day last Thursday every home has been covered in dust and been using the Backpack blower on all jobs and de dusting their windows/sills as I go. But i saw the wind/dust and zero visibility videos on the news from Mildura - far worse than we got.
    Spent the day at a huge working farm today and all the dams are 90% full, but had to have my fire gear onsite just in case as dried grass is so high. That's were the battery whipper is good to reduce risk - used 5 X 9.4amp batteries just on the whipper.
    I've got 2 more days there by end of next week. Sure met "Louie the Fly" and his entire extended family today. lol

    That person you heard that "good rains in January" are you sure they weren't pissed or smoking something!!!
    Cheers Garry

  6. #81
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    I'm lucky to have a mix of properties with many luxury larger properties that irrigate twice a day. So work load can be what I want or not want it to be.
    For some reason only basic restrictions in town that no one follows.

    After that mega 42deg hot wind day last Thursday every home has been covered in dust and been using the Backpack blower on all jobs and de dusting their windows/sills as I go. But i saw the wind/dust and zero visibility videos on the news from Mildura - far worse than we got.
    Spent the day at a huge working farm today and all the dams are 90% full, but had to have my fire gear onsite just in case as dried grass is so high. That's were the battery whipper is good to reduce risk - used 5 X 9.4amp batteries just on the whipper.
    I've got 2 more days there by end of next week. Sure met "Louie the Fly" and his entire extended family today. lol

    That person you heard that "good rains in January" are you sure they weren't pissed or smoking something!!!
    Yep ,most likely

  7. #82
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Thanks all. I have a background in Warehousing and Machinery operation, as well as manufacturing. So I should be able to find some work in that industry again. Its not easy looking for work though. After running a business for the last 7 years, everyone want certificates in everything for an entry style job. Not easy for us who have been out of the industry for so long. Might end up back at Tafe yet to expand my knowledge again.

    But I also have a Builder mate they may be able to put me on as an apprentice. He has some major reno jobs coming up over the next few years. He is an ex Tafe trade teacher, so has all the necessary qualifications to be able to train and assess me as we go.
    good luck mate.

  8. #83
    Senior Member NLALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    thick smoke everywhere today and it got worse this afternoon we had ash from the fires thick in the air, the lawns really struggling lucky I do a lot of hedges, or I would be really worried

    The weather man had some satellite pictures from last year and now to compare , difference is amazing but then he put one up from 10 years ago at this time , unbelievable all green

    forecast temps into the 40s next week that will really slow the mowing , no turkey this christmas

  9. #84
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    43 today with late dust storm.

  10. #85
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    2,075

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    43 today with late dust storm.
    2 wks back I said things were still ok, but things are changing fast.
    The big non stop dry inland is now biting for me, customers who don't water lawns don't want you as their lawns are turning into crispy short hay.

    Must be doing it pretty hard in Mildura again like every summer, breed em tough up your end of the Murray. We are only 39 and 38 tomorrow so not real hot yet.
    Had today off to arrange stuff re new pool regulations and speak with council building inspectors. Didn't have anything booked I would have liked doing today in 39 deg. Not doing hedges in 39

    No dust but smokey hazed
    Cheers Garry

  11. #86
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Same here many customers not watering lawns ,looking like it might be a lean summer.

    work slowing up leading up into christmas this year,temps up next week going into 40s.
    dust storms are the new normal now& they just announced murray river blue/green algae again.

  12. #87
    Member Macka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    No drought here, I just do Lawns, hopping for a dry summer to get the boat wet. grass can grow all year round it can be a long season. 2 weekly for last 5 months so looking foward to 3 weekly after Christmas.

    I cant see how anyone can just do lawns in northern areas. Wouldnt up North "eg. Brisbane" just be Seasonal work for mowing ?

  13. #88
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    No drought here, I just do Lawns, hopping for a dry summer to get the boat wet. grass can grow all year round it can be a long season. 2 weekly for last 5 months so looking foward to 3 weekly after Christmas.

    I cant see how anyone can just do lawns in northern areas. Wouldnt up North "eg. Brisbane" just be Seasonal work for mowing ?
    Wherabouts are you in SA Macca if you don't mind me asking? It is so dry in Canberra even the couch grass is still dormant or dead. Unless it is watered its dead. Needs an inch of rain to fire up the summer grasses but that just didn't happen. There are loads of gumtrees carking it or about to cark it. Planted saplings don't have a chance. Interesting though that there is still snow up on the main range in the snowies off in the distance when I drove past there last week. The snowy monaro area has just introduced water restrictions as most of the rivers that water the townships have stopped flowing. NSW South coast must be tinder dry too. Its not looking good either. I feel sorry for anyone with stock to feed.

    What sort of fishing you do? My boat aint seen much action lately. Too busy with life getting in the way but if you aint fishing you aint living. Hopefully this xmas I'll catch a much needed feed of fish or yabbies.

  14. #89
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    Same here many customers not watering lawns ,looking like it might be a lean summer.

    work slowing up leading up into christmas this year,temps up next week going into 40s.
    dust storms are the new normal now& they just announced murray river blue/green algae again.
    Feel for you mate. I grew up along the Murray, great people, great communities.

  15. #90
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Wherabouts are you in SA Macca if you don't mind me asking? It is so dry in Canberra even the couch grass is still dormant or dead. Unless it is watered its dead. Needs an inch of rain to fire up the summer grasses but that just didn't happen. There are loads of gumtrees carking it or about to cark it. Planted saplings don't have a chance. Interesting though that there is still snow up on the main range in the snowies off in the distance when I drove past there last week. The snowy monaro area has just introduced water restrictions as most of the rivers that water the townships have stopped flowing. NSW South coast must be tinder dry too. Its not looking good either. I feel sorry for anyone with stock to feed.

    What sort of fishing you do? My boat aint seen much action lately. Too busy with life getting in the way but if you aint fishing you aint living. Hopefully this xmas I'll catch a much needed feed of fish or yabbies.
    Gum trees and other native trees dying here in mildura to

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •