Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Drought affecting business?!

Default Re: Drought affecting business?!

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I've now had 127mm for March Back to fortnightly mowing.

Started cutting firewood a couple of weeks ago thinking the mowing was finished for the season, but will be lucky to get back to it before Easter now. Cool nights forecast for the next week, so the tourists will be burning it now on the mountains.
    Hi Ed, good to see you're still kicking on! Season here got off to a great start but died in the azz with lack of rain. Newbies came and went in a blink of an eye.
    The old hands are still around! Would of been a terrible year to try and start up thats for sure. Local dealer had a shocker with sales of new machines!

But as usual, the rains ar ear, and the lawns are cranking. Late but would be a great lift for as, Winters coming!

By the way Ed, Im spewing I sold you that Magnamatic! Hope its doing you well!

Hi Mick. Good to see you here again.
    Are you back in the mowing game?

yep. We had a storm in Oct that brought a fresh crop of lawnies out. Next storm was just before xmas & another crop showed up. Now there's another new batch again. It's been a tough season here. Even a couple of the established fellas have given it away.

MagnaMatic is going great. Haven't had to use it much this year though.

Not back in mate, thank fk!

So dry Northwest vic [mildura region] 9 mils for the year .lawns slowed now

Drought really bad here in Stanthorpe. So far I have been safe from the bushfires.

Stay safe mate, it's a horrible situation all through Qld atm

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

It's probably not as bad here as the Southern Downs, but bad enough. Had about 45% of our average YTD rainfall.

We're on Total Fire Ban, so no acreage mowing and no welding or grinding. Had plans to stockpile some firewood until the lawns kicked in again, but not even game to do that at present.

Adelaide is already showing signs of drying out,bit too soon for us.Long term rain forecast is saying not much rain to come.

There is a 40% chance of rain here at the end of the week. But cant see that being over land though. I have lost about 60-70% of my business this season as nothing is growing around our area.

Im thinking it is nearly time to hang up the tools soon, and move into something else. Debt is slowly piling up and having two young children, we need a more permanent income. I may have one of my old regulars who manages a couple of Unit Complexes with some regular work, so that may help to tie us over till the drought breaks (hopefully). I quote that one tomorrow.

Not to mention so many new lawnies starting around here undercutting us big time. I lost a contract to a new contractor who undercut me $20 (I was charging $65). I'm hoping to get that one back as they do a terrible job.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Drought very much starting to make a impact here not many customers watering lawns
    never seen conditions so dry as this year.
    there is approx a dozen new lawnies /gardeners started out in the last few months,hoping
    this will be last year of the drought.dust storms shocking.

I haven't turned a wheel in the last six weeks - very dry here on Sunshine Coast and hardly no rain. Poor guys who have financial commitments etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMS View Post
    I haven't turned a wheel in the last six weeks - very dry here on Sunshine Coast and hardly no rain. Poor guys who have financial commitments etc.
    About the same here. I actually have a few big jobs next week or the start of the following week, They will bring in a couple of thousand dollars total, but the cheap owners only want the job done yearly.

I have already started looking for a new job. As much as I love doing this work, there has to be a point where finances and family come first.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    About the same here. I actually have a few big jobs next week or the start of the following week, They will bring in a couple of thousand dollars total, but the cheap owners only want the job done yearly.

I have already started looking for a new job. As much as I love doing this work, there has to be a point where finances and family come first.
    Really feel 4 u guys but, IF? u can hang in there, WHEN? it turns around, you're one of the few left in the game.
    Maybe you might be able to find some part time work to tie u over ?

Good luck.

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Really feel 4 u guys but, IF? u can hang in there, WHEN? it turns around, you're one of the few left in the game.
    Maybe you might be able to find some part time work to tie u over ?

Good luck.

Cheers Fred.
    Im hoping to hang in there. I have a minor side business doing Leatherwork. So if anyone wants, Belts, Collars, bag, wallets, etc. made up. Look up DJ's Leathercraft on Facebook. But even that business has slowed right down due to people not having much money.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867

Well the drought has had no effect on new start ups around here, I have never seen so many new lawnies ever , and the workmanship of some of them shows that some don't know one end of the whippy from the other. Even the water restrictions hasn't put em off. Lucky us hey, we are dealing with drought and more competition than ever makes it hard to make an honest living,

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast