Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedge Trimmer - 600mm vs 750mm

Default Hedge Trimmer - 600mm vs 750mm

Thinking about buying a new hedge trimmer as my proscape sh!t itself ran too lean burned out only got about 5 or 6 hours $250 down the drain.

Anyway, I was wondering what would you buy if you could only have one hedge trimmer, I was thinking its easier to have one big one so I could tackle a 3-4M Photinias and on smaller stuff although it would'nt be as easy, I tend to use the hedge trimmer a fair bit with gardening just cutting things back.

I had a look at Shindaiwas, Husqvarna only around 22-23cc,Stihl too expensive, I could get a 750mm 25c.4c Maruyama for $650 Im tending towards this model, thoughts?

Default Re: Hedge Trimmer - 600mm vs 750mm

Stihl have some special s on hedge trimmers at the mo I think
    Indy and proud

I have the Sthil HS81R which is 750mm, powers through the bigger jobs, and the reach is a bonus. If you get the right touch it still works well on the smaller jobs. Would recommend the longer blade anytime. I have 10 hours of pruning tomorrow, and with a smaller cut it would take me heaps longer. It does most of the jobs, and for the higher bits I get out the extension pole pruner.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    I have the Sthil HS81R which is 750mm, powers through the bigger jobs, and the reach is a bonus. If you get the right touch it still works well on the smaller jobs. Would recommend the longer blade anytime. I have 10 hours of pruning tomorrow, and with a smaller cut it would take me heaps longer. It does most of the jobs, and for the higher bits I get out the extension pole pruner.
    I agree, I have echo trimmers the short blade model and the 750mm, since buying the longer blade I hardly ever use the short one. In saying that though I couldn't live without my pole hedger any big stuff is done with it. Like bb1 I did 8 hours on Monday trimming, with a smaller machine it would take 2 days

I was looking at the Stihl HS81R at $999 it looks expensive compared to the Maruyama for $650 which has a touch more power and is still lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
    I was looking at the Stihl HS81R at $999 it looks expensive compared to the Maruyama for $650 which has a touch more power and is still lighter.
    I think ipaid $850 for mine, they are fantastic!!!!!!

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I bought a husky 750mm & paid $850, with the swivell handle. Very happy. Had the 600mm before & sometimes its too short. Even the 750 is not quite long enough sometimes. Go the swivel handle, its worth the extra for the comfort. You can be on these machines for hours.

What is the most powerfullm hedgecutter u have used & what will it CLEANLY cut through?
    Cheers Fred.

Get a 4 stroke.. No need to mix
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

as I've posted before, get the lightest one you can get - pole or handheld, def 2 stroke for me, otherwise the weight will bugger you on big jobs.....still amazed how many people use handheld hedgers regularly, go and try a pole hedger

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    i had the honda 4 stroke, before the sthil 2 stroke, and it was as heavy as. 2 stroke for me..

Very Helpful Member

boys it's Fred asking the question i think he may know a bit about hedging

i use a Tananka tht210s and it will chop through about 25mm but CLEANLY probably about 15mm maybe a bit thicker but i think it starts chopping at around the 20mm mark
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I would disagree having tried one i think you need a good mix of pain killers and steroids to handle the weight
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    boys it's Fred asking the question i think he may know a bit about hedging

i use a Tananka tht210s and it will chop through about 25mm but CLEANLY probably about 15mm maybe a bit thicker but i think it starts chopping at around the 20mm mark
    Ian, just to clarify (appologies to original poster) I seem to be doing more & more hedge reduction as opposed to hedge trimming jobs.
    Im looking to aquire the most powerfull, clean cutting machine on the market.
    I wont use a chainsaw on anything under 50mm, preferably 70mm. It just makes too much of a mess, poor healing & greater risk of infection.
    So I have an area between 15-50mm that has to be done by hand to get a good result.
    It has been a long time bugbear of mine & if I ever overcome it................ Im home
    Cheers Fred.

Redeye i took your advise on a pole hedger works a treat its lighter,easy to handle,heaps more reach and the jobs done a lot quicker, also got a ozito lithium battery trimmer from bunnings for small jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast