Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: BG86 blower service saga

Default BG86 blower service saga

here is for want of a better name a rant about the service on my BG86 blower. The blower lost its huff and puff last October, took it into the dealer whom i bought it from about 5 yrs ago...won't name him here but he's a mower dealer in Geelong. After about ten days got it back, $130 poorer for a carby kit and service clean. Ran ok but not great got harder to start and run, eventually took it back, and got it back a aday later, they said I had flooded it and had got petrol in the exhaust. Told them my starting process, choke, prime, pull cord, off choke, pull cord again and away it usually/mostly went. they told me that I shouldn't be using the choke especially in this warm weather. ok take your point (but thats the way i have started it for five f''ing years and why all of a sudden is that wrong ? ) any way off I go, and over the next few weeks still don't have much joy with the blower, take it back and just happen to see the mechanic that worked on it. Thats right this is the time that I tell them about my starting process. anyway off I go again and over Xmas don't use the blower for nearly two weeks, go to pick it up in shed, pool of oil under it , obviously leaked petrol and oil was left after evaporation. So I take the carby apart, after advice from mates who suggest such things as ruptured diaphram, missing screws, etc, blow it out and put it back together again. It seemed ok but it ran better than before. It died again this week, so I take it back in, start talking to someone else there about it, straight away he says that the spark plug is not theirs, they only use Bosch and that I had put another sparkie in it post service...I haven't.....comes back with the age of the blower, possible blowen worn rings etc, look how dirty it is (its always looked liked that for 5 yrs?) , I may be bringing in another blower. etc. Anyway I tell him I am not trying to rip him off etc, I just want the blower to go or an honest appraisal on it...Can you tell me just where the blower is at in its life...can you tell me professionally to toss it or buy a new one. He couldn't..only be guessing...Anyway he eventually takes it into the work shop, can't get it going...pulls the spark arrester out...black as black...I have never seen the spark arrester with that much carbon on it..he pulls the arrestor off puts the plug back in and the blower fires up as good as new. But what remains in my mind is that I usually only clean the spark arrester about once a year, it was ok two months ago when I last checked it. why the sudden build up of carbon.. any way thats the side issue.. the blower had a service and run poorly after the service, took it back a few weeks later, they found the first thing wrong with it user error , flooded exhaust. But my question is why has tha carby continually blown excesss fuel thru the the extent that I have had to take the air filter off to get it to work was it a poor service in the first place or what.

Default Re: BG86 blower service saga

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    here is for want of a better name a rant about the service on my BG86 blower. The blower lost its huff and puff last October, took it into the dealer whom i bought it from about 5 yrs ago...won't name him here but he's a mower dealer in Geelong. After about ten days got it back, $130 poorer for a carby kit and service clean. Ran ok but not great got harder to start and run, eventually took it back, and got it back a aday later, they said I had flooded it and had got petrol in the exhaust. Told them my starting process, choke, prime, pull cord, off choke, pull cord again and away it usually/mostly went. they told me that I shouldn't be using the choke especially in this warm weather. ok take your point (but thats the way i have started it for five f''ing years and why all of a sudden is that wrong ? ) any way off I go, and over the next few weeks still don't have much joy with the blower, take it back and just happen to see the mechanic that worked on it. Thats right this is the time that I tell them about my starting process. anyway off I go again and over Xmas don't use the blower for nearly two weeks, go to pick it up in shed, pool of oil under it , obviously leaked petrol and oil was left after evaporation. So I take the carby apart, after advice from mates who suggest such things as ruptured diaphram, missing screws, etc, blow it out and put it back together again. It seemed ok but it ran better than before. It died again this week, so I take it back in, start talking to someone else there about it, straight away he says that the spark plug is not theirs, they only use Bosch and that I had put another sparkie in it post service...I haven't.....comes back with the age of the blower, possible blowen worn rings etc, look how dirty it is (its always looked liked that for 5 yrs?) , I may be bringing in another blower. etc. Anyway I tell him I am not trying to rip him off etc, I just want the blower to go or an honest appraisal on it...Can you tell me just where the blower is at in its life...can you tell me professionally to toss it or buy a new one. He couldn't..only be guessing...Anyway he eventually takes it into the work shop, can't get it going...pulls the spark arrester out...black as black...I have never seen the spark arrester with that much carbon on it..he pulls the arrestor off puts the plug back in and the blower fires up as good as new. But what remains in my mind is that I usually only clean the spark arrester about once a year, it was ok two months ago when I last checked it. why the sudden build up of carbon.. any way thats the side issue.. the blower had a service and run poorly after the service, took it back a few weeks later, they found the first thing wrong with it user error , flooded exhaust. But my question is why has tha carby continually blown excesss fuel thru the the extent that I have had to take the air filter off to get it to work was it a poor service in the first place or what.
    Probably a combination of things but I find the shops often go for the easy most profitable fix for them, unless you get along really well with some particular mechanic. If you are not using Opti2 start using it now. All my decoking problems fixed since I started on it probably 2 years ago now.
    And that type of service was why I told one partcular mower shop to after similar type problems. I now have at least 2 of most things so am not at their mercy when something goes wrong. I also learn to take them apart and play around with them (the older machines) so I can fix most of the basic problems - often trial and eror

Default Re: BG86 blower service saga

After 5 years of use and it broke down ,if i couldnt fix it myselve i would of retired the unit and bought another one.Popped her in the shed and said thanks old girl well done .
    Buy exactly the same unit if available and used the old girl for parts .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton