Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Work Health and Safety Management plan

Default Re: Work Health and Safety Management plan

WHS
    Very disappointed in reading how people are profiteering on these documents

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Just because people dont ask you for your documents of lawfull business trade doesnt mean you dont need them . if they dont ask pass the documents to them regardless and teach them ,they surely wont hire the next guy that comes along without them ,once you have shown them what their duty of care is .

im sure some of you are doing work for kindergartens etc and they havent asked you for a police check or WHS .Ignorance is not an excuse .Your duty of care is to supply one even if they dont ask . PROTECT YOURSELVE PROTECT OTHERS .
    Thanks for the reply.

I've found it unusual for a business not to ask for the documentation even when one prompts to give them such documentation.
    Personally I will not work for any business in what I perceive to be a high risk industry or dodgy premises that can finger point blame to a mowing contractor. Also wont work for any customer that puts the parking of my rig in a high risk area ie getting rear ended. Don't think mowing contractors are held high in the picking order and can be an easy target.
    Already had two incidences where I immediately (within 12hrs) provided formally written business letter responses strongly correcting allegations blaming the uneducated, lower class mower guy with promptness.

So Agree with the admin wording "PROTECT YOURSELVE PROTECT OTHERS".
    Cheers Garry

Are the WHSM plans a long term thing, or will need to be renewed every year/s like e.g. White cards (or whatever)?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Are the WHSM plans a long term thing, or will need to be renewed every year/s like e.g. White cards (or whatever)?
    Will only need to be updated if the law changes may get some additions along the way in the next three to four years if a major change happens we will let you know but we certainly wont be expecting any depends on the government of the day .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

One of the questions was:

"In the event of a fire, what steps would you take?"

Apparently "f**king big ones" was incorrect???

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    How does this Management Plan compare to management plans by http://www.safetyculture.com.au/

I don't have preference over any system its just that we have been talking to this group and from the outside the products look the same but who knows.

What I do know is their system meets Australian Standards and will allow for quality assurance certification relatively easily does the management system at the top of this post have the same benefit. Also the management plan and SWMS are two different purchases meaning if you by a management system you don't get SWSM documents they are a separate purchase. Would this be the same situation here
    You get the complete plan exceeeds the legislation .Yes more than meets Australian Standard CanT be WHS SAFETY PLAN WITHOUT SWSM ETC .

Glad, I'm reading all this safety stuff in between working up in my house garage roof today installing 4 ceiling open/close vents to assist in keeping my Solar Invertor cooler in summer which is in the garage.
    Hate getting cramp up there in confined spaces with cobwebs and big gaps between the wooden sticks to stand on.

It's all right, did a safe work method statement, confined space entry sign off, checked roof temperature/humidity - dehydration, signed of five SWP's, one risk assessment, built way after 1987 = no asbestos, ppe, safe fibreglass ladder, working at heights, shut down power, took my mobile up, did a online course on basic circus acrobats to fit and swing between the rafters. No hot works permit required- good.
    Could really see a plumber and sparkie doing inner roof work up to 70yrs of age - not!!
    Cheers Garry

Don't shoot the messenger, but yes it does mean he needs one of Dean's WHS safety management systems, even if he only does this lawn mowing by himself for cash and has no employees.

Hobbyist? No, he's not (good on him!) - he is regarded as working and he's earning money doing it, no matter how little he gets. Since 1st Jan 2012 in NSW he is regarded as being a "Person Conducting a Business" (PCBU) by the NSW WHS Act & Regulation 2011. Furthermore, wherever he works is regarded as his "workplace" and as part of his "Duty of Care" (even if it's only to himself) he has to have an effective safety system to identify hazards and mitigate them. Even if he's worked safely and injury-free mowing these same lawns for 30 years!

That's just how it is in our nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by WHS PR View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger, but yes it does mean he needs one of Dean's WHS safety management systems, even if he only does this lawn mowing by himself for cash and has no employees.

Hobbyist? No, he's not (good on him!) - he is regarded as working and he's earning money doing it, no matter how little he gets. Since 1st Jan 2012 in NSW he is regarded as being a "Person Conducting a Business" (PCBU) by the NSW WHS Act & Regulation 2011. Furthermore, wherever he works is regarded as his "workplace" and as part of his "Duty of Care" (even if it's only to himself) he has to have an effective safety system to identify hazards and mitigate them. Even if he's worked safely and injury-free mowing these same lawns for 30 years!

Thankyou Chris .
    I would like to introduce you all to I.L.M.C.O.A. Safety Advisor aka WHS PR .

Chris knows the legislation back to front and upside down and hopefully clear up many myths but more importantly give you a clear mind on your obligations as per the law .

Thanks Dean,

You missed "inside out" which sounds even more painful. I also write these horrible WHS/OHS/OSH Safety Management Systems for you, Oh well! Somebody's got to do it. Just hope I'm not the only one who reads them.

Cheers,

Chris

Its a sad but true indictment of our society. Soon we wont even be allowed to exist without some overiding safety requirement. And people wonder why all our major manufacturing is gone overseas.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

There's always NSW mentioned in these WHS posts. Does it concern us contractors in South Australia?

yes South Australia 2 anybody running a business micro cash or otherwise .

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Glad, I'm reading all this safety stuff in between working up in my house garage roof today installing 4 ceiling open/close vents to assist in keeping my Solar Invertor cooler in summer which is in the garage.
    Hate getting cramp up there in confined spaces with cobwebs and big gaps between the wooden sticks to stand on.

It's all right, did a safe work method statement, confined space entry sign off, checked roof temperature/humidity - dehydration, signed of five SWP's, one risk assessment, built way after 1987 = no asbestos, ppe, safe fibreglass ladder, working at heights, shut down power, took my mobile up, did a online course on basic circus acrobats to fit and swing between the rafters. No hot works permit required- good.
    Could really see a plumber and sparkie doing inner roof work up to 70yrs of age - not!!
    Your so young at heart thats all that matters

I'm with Bluey. WHS documentation and bureaucracy is a complete scam dreamed up by the government and insurance companies. We all know what we need to do to stay safe on the job, We all know what to look out for. I could see training being required if you have employees but as a sole trader this is just an absolute crock dreamed up by some guy to bring in more money for the government and private training organisations. Where the hell is it going to stop.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast