Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Work Health and Safety Management plan

Default Re: Work Health and Safety Management plan

Was told he was working on a busy main road,i don't know if it was a passerby or a resident who called in the council.Then it carried on from there.
    Goes to show how a normal working day turns into a nightmare

Here's something interesting to know
    To set up a example..

Let's say your doing a set of units and you notice something that's not safe
    e.g.
    broken glass sticking out
    a large nail sticking out
    a large hole dug by someone and not fenced off

You have just finished mowing/gardening the hazardous area and you didn't report it to the nearest home occupier/strata president/committee member and someone gets hurt.

You as a business owner can now get prosecuted for your negligence for not making it safe or reporting it to anyone.you were there and it's very clearly seen that you did nothing about it.

This is now how it is in any work place including yours

As you have a duty of care with working safe and making it safe for others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of_care

I didnt see the nail, hole and glass!! Yes you did.. No I didnt.. Yes you did.. No I didnt

Even though you didnt see it you should have reported it or fixed it

That will be $40K thanks
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

If some one points the finger at you your gone and done for it.You would have to prove no negligence on your behalf.

I was just looking on the rapid response form. It says the safety plan is customised to my (your) business. Whats involved in getting it customised to what I do?

Is there any way someone could put a screen shot or something up of the plan, just to see whats involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I was just looking on the rapid response form. It says the safety plan is customised to my (your) business. Whats involved in getting it customised to what I do?

Is there any way someone could put a screen shot or something up of the plan, just to see whats involved?
    Been thinking the same, just shot off an e-mail to Dean as my registered business name is based around Name+Mowing, but my rig/trailer signage has an extension to that captures sooo much more.
    But I really think I didn't need to e-mail Dean and may have me looking like a dick, as he knows we do a heck of a lot more than just push a mower or sit on one.

Best I log off and go to work, - ADJ Mowing that was funny your post; lol

Edit; Can I ring myself up like mobile to house phone and pull a sickie today as I can't be bothered working.??
    Cheers Garry

If you look like a d!ck then so do I! I just email him as well! ha

My business is pretty straight forward, acreage and commercial mowing. Ride on only! But thats different to a lot of you guys who do gardening, landscaping etc as well.
    Thats what got me thinking about it being customised to "my" business.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Been thinking the same, just shot off an e-mail to Dean as my registered business name is based around Name+Mowing, but my rig/trailer signage has an extension to that captures sooo much more.
    But I really think I didn't need to e-mail Dean and may have me looking like a dick, as he knows we do a heck of a lot more than just push a mower or sit on one.

Best I log off and go to work, - ADJ Mowing that was funny your post; lol

Edit; Can I ring myself up like mobile to house phone and pull a sickie today as I can't be bothered working.??

I did that once and it ended in an argument ended up sacking myseff

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    To set up a example..

e.g.

You have just finished mowing/gardening the hazardous area and you didn't report it to the nearest home occupier/strata president/committee member and someone gets hurt.

You as a business owner can now get prosecuted for your negligence for not making it safe or reporting it to anyone.you were there and it's very clearly seen that you did nothing about it.

I think thats drawing a very long bow Beetle. Lets use the example of a hole dug by someone else. You turn up do your job and leave. The hole poses no danger to you or your work. At a later date someone else falls down the hole and injures themselves. What your saying is that because you didn't take action to fix it your responsible for it. The primary duty of care rests with the person digging the hole and /or the owner of the property. They are responsible for making it safe not you. There could be some argument that you should have reported it but that would hinge on the fact that you actually realised it was a hazard and had the ability to report it. You would actually leave yourself open if you tried to fix it and caused a dangerous situation ie you stick a board over it and the board doesnt hold someones weight.

Best bet is if there are dangerous situations to you is not to do the work and report it to the owner. If the danger exists and does no immediately effect you but you understand it is a danger report it to the owner. If you do either of those your doing what is reasonable in the circumstances.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think thats drawing a very long bow Beetle. Lets use the example of a hole dug by someone else. You turn up do your job and leave. The hole poses no danger to you or your work. At a later date someone else falls down the hole and injures themselves. What your saying is that because you didn't take action to fix it your responsible for it. The primary duty of care rests with the person digging the hole and /or the owner of the property. They are responsible for making it safe not you. There could be some argument that you should have reported it but that would hinge on the fact that you actually realised it was a hazard and had the ability to report it. You would actually leave yourself open if you tried to fix it and caused a dangerous situation ie you stick a board over it and the board doesnt hold someones weight.

Best bet is if there are dangerous situations to you is not to do the work and report it to the owner. If the danger exists and does no immediately effect you but you understand it is a danger report it to the owner. If you do either of those your doing what is reasonable in the circumstances.
    What i'm trying to say is cover your own ass so it can't come back and bite you.
    At least make a attempt in saying something and noting it down with a persons name ,date and time of the report.

Too many get caught out thinking nothing will come of it.Wife spent time with company lawyers hearing examples and the end consequences where you/we lose.

Beetle, interesting stuff, but can you give us a little more detail when it becomes available.
    Surely its more than not having steel caps etc that would get you a fine of that magnitude ?
    Was he a repeat offender ?
    Cheers Fred.

yes with great interest on this one....a little while back i met a work safe person who had fined the roof spraying guys down the road from us...he said usually first strike is a warning and a list of things to get right,repeat offenders he said get fines..the more repeats the bigger the fine..unless it was really serious like injury etc

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    To set up a example..

e.g.

But did I actually notice it??

If I take action to notify or remedy it I obviously did, but if I didn't take any action what then?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Commercial Mowing View Post
    But did I actually notice it??

If I take action to notify or remedy it I obviously did, but if I didn't take any action what then?
    if you didn't take any action and some said you were there and didn't do anything about it,that's when your duty of care wasn't used.

You have now been given the responsibility in making things safe for strangers,how can any negligence be proven by some one else.
    A simple thing as close circuit TV recording,a by standers statement.Proof.

Deny whatever you want,explaining yourself can be a totally different story.Denial sometimes won't work even if it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Beetle, interesting stuff, but can you give us a little more detail when it becomes available.
    Surely its more than not having steel caps etc that would get you a fine of that magnitude ?
    Was he a repeat offender ?
    Cheers Fred.
    At a guess i'd say the owner knew nothing about the safety laws and was paying the lad cash,by the time they finished with him the penalty added up to that figure.Or as said warned and then got caught out again.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast