Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Considering a stand behind or small ZTR for residential lawns

Default Considering a stand behind or small ZTR for residential lawns

Hey guys, I've read through some older posts on here about using a stand behind or ZTR for residential lawns. I wanted to revisit this on here to see how ppl are going with it & what new machines are on the market these days.

My work load is 3-4 days of acreage lawns with a hustler 60" ZTR. Then the rest of the week is filled in with about 15 resi lawns per week, in growing season. May not seem much but it gets a little tiring for me, I also have a couple strata jobs where I work every sunday, so this time of the yr the legs are getting a real workout. Anyhow I have toyed with the idea yrs ago on buying a 30" dixon, never got serious enough about it.

My concerns, would the clients be happy with the quality of cut from a ride on/stand behind. I think 30" would be the limit of width I could use, not only for access to back yard but I worry that anything wider would be just scalping over any undulations and it would be very difficult to turn without having one side of deck cutting lower resulting in an uneven job. I think if I was going to try utilise it for as many resi lawns as possible then a catcher will be a must.

I've had a brief look at whats on the market, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys who may already be doing this? Does anyone know of a stand behind with abilty to catch, that is 30"

Thanks guys.

Default Re: Considering a stand behind or small ZTR for residential lawns

Forget about catching at that size, a mulch kit might be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrtl81 View Post
    Forget about catching at that size, a mulch kit might be good enough.
    Mulching would be easier & a little quicker. But If I cant get away with mulching most of my resi's with a 21" SP then how will I go with a 30" mulching? in the winter and a month either side of it this will be fine. But what about in peak times.

Maybe these stand behinds will do a better job of mulching? Do you use a ZTR or SB

I wouldnt worry to much about the scalping. Once its been mowed a few times the lawn should get trained to the different machine. Same thing happens when you change for one rider to a new one with a different wheel base.

You've seen what they use in the USA, I dont see anything wrong with using a big machine on a small lawn.

Why dont you try and get a demo of a Wright stander. I think Scag, Toro and Deere have standeers as well. Wright being arguably the best since that have the best stance and body position between the wheels and is where I'd look first.

You may be able to get one of these too...http://www.acceleratorindustries.com

You already have a hustler. Why not try the 36" hustler with gator blades. I mulched a thick damp kyk lawn last week and it did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I wouldnt worry to much about the scalping. Once its been mowed a few times the lawn should get trained to the different machine. Same thing happens when you change for one rider to a new one with a different wheel base.

You've seen what they use in the USA, I dont see anything wrong with using a big machine on a small lawn.

Why dont you try and get a demo of a Wright stander. I think Scag, Toro and Deere have standeers as well. Wright being arguably the best since that have the best stance and body position between the wheels and is where I'd look first.

You may be able to get one of these too...http://www.acceleratorindustries.com
    Thanks Mick, gee that Wright stander looks like a good machine! If this was successful then it would slash the cutting time in half on most resi lawns & the energy saved from cutting would allow me to get through the extra edging/blowing from cutting an extra few lawns in a day.

Looks like finding a dealer for wright/s will be an issue. I see an importer in vic so far. I have a couple Toro dealers nearby to me, Scag and Deere not too far away. Either of these may be good options, will have to look into them.

When I do a days resi lawns, I leave the trailer at home. I find it much quicker to get around in traffic, find a parking spot (some jobs cant pull up with a trailer). I would need to make up a quick ramp system for the back/side of ute tray. Failing that I could consider a mini trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1972 View Post
    You already have a hustler. Why not try the 36" hustler with gator blades. I mulched a thick damp kyk lawn last week and it did a good job.
    Hmm, 36" might be getting a little too wide. I will have to start measuring gates. Is this the trimstar that you were using to mulch the kyk? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cylo View Post
    Thanks Mick, gee that Wright stander looks like a good machine! If this was successful then it would slash the cutting time in half on most resi lawns & the energy saved from cutting would allow me to get through the extra edging/blowing from cutting an extra few lawns in a day.

Looks like finding a dealer for wright/s will be an issue. I see an importer in vic so far. I have a couple Toro dealers nearby to me, Scag and Deere not too far away. Either of these may be good options, will have to look into them.

When I do a days resi lawns, I leave the trailer at home. I find it much quicker to get around in traffic, find a parking spot (some jobs cant pull up with a trailer). I would need to make up a quick ramp system for the back/side of ute tray. Failing that I could consider a mini trailer.
    Phil on this site used to run a Wright ztr so may be worth asking him.

The other option if you just wanted to use the ute would be one of those big WB's like the yanks use. Youd need some long ramps but probably wouldnt need a trailer. World Lawn have a WB here but made in china etc I believe. Best looking into a better brand. Im sure I saw a Hustler in the back ground of a photo of a used SZ that was for sale recently. Long story but just saying they may be available here. I dont think they have the VX4 deck on them, not even sure what size they have either but excellent control system by all accounts. Probably to big actually!
    I still dont understand why more larger WB's arent here in Aust. If you have a 1/4 acre block and can access the back yard, they would be great for cutting time. But, they would be up around $7 or $8000 I reckon.

Toro may be coming out with s 30" pushy with a bag. You may of seen them already. You wouldnt get the domestic version like this ...http://youtu.be/TJEQ1EYyo0w but the commercial one may be ok. There only new and would be very expensive and maybe the engines to small as well. Just putting it out there

Ferris have a sit/stand on machine. Rides like a bike kinda thing. they look sweet.

Im sure someone on here bought a Toro stand on. maybe try searching and see if you can find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Phil on this site used to run a Wright ztr so may be worth asking him.

The other option if you just wanted to use the ute would be one of those big WB's like the yanks use. Youd need some long ramps but probably wouldnt need a trailer. World Lawn have a WB here but made in china etc I believe. Best looking into a better brand. Im sure I saw a Hustler in the back ground of a photo of a used SZ that was for sale recently. Long story but just saying they may be available here. I dont think they have the VX4 deck on them, not even sure what size they have either but excellent control system by all accounts. Probably to big actually!
    I still dont understand why more larger WB's arent here in Aust. If you have a 1/4 acre block and can access the back yard, they would be great for cutting time. But, they would be up around $7 or $8000 I reckon.

Toro may be coming out with s 30" pushy with a bag. You may of seen them already. You wouldnt get the domestic version like this ...http://youtu.be/TJEQ1EYyo0w but the commercial one may be ok. There only new and would be very expensive and maybe the engines to small as well. Just putting it out there

Ferris have a sit/stand on machine. Rides like a bike kinda thing. they look sweet.

Im sure someone on here bought a Toro stand on. maybe try searching and see if you can find anything.
    Cheers, Ill do some more searching.

Looking at the Ferris evolution, it may be suitable. the widest point is 36.5" so I will measure the tights spots over the next couple weeks & see how restrictive this would be.

I was thinking I could make up some slide out ramps, I've seen them before I think, they slide in/out from underneath the ute tray.

Not so sure on the walk behinds, I imagine they would still take some effort to maneuvere.

Theres a new thread on LS discussing stand ons, may be worth checking out.

The smallest stand on I could see is about 32", http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/stander/

That Ferris looks pretty sweet I reckon, and fun!

You'd probably want some curved ramps or at least ramps with a bend in them. Standers seem to have a short wheel base so you dont want the angle from tray to ramp to severe or you could get hung up.

The walk behinds, if you get a full hydro unit is pretty much the same as a ztr. You steer with levers, not necessarily man handling the thing. But yeah, a rider of some type would be preferred Im sure.

Of course, all of this depends one whats actually available here in Aust. I doubt everything will be!

I've got a wide slide out ramp under my tray cylo. It still has a jump up of about 100mm from the ramp onto the tray though. Could easily make a small removable bridge to fix this though.
    I'll take some pics tonight.

Mate I had a 34 inch toro commercial ztr for a while but found it didn't really get into the tight spots being that syle, I switched to a 36 inch walker mb and being an outfront style it gets into many more areas than the toro even being wider. But yes 36 inches doesn't let you through some gates, so I am thinking that the stand on in your case might be the go if you can get one small enough. I have never seen one in use around here though .

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Fantastic, thanks mate for taking the pics! That looks ideal, the angle will be the only tricky part but there will be a way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Mate I had a 34 inch toro commercial ztr for a while but found it didn't really get into the tight spots being that syle, I switched to a 36 inch walker mb and being an outfront style it gets into many more areas than the toro even being wider. But yes 36 inches doesn't let you through some gates, so I am thinking that the stand on in your case might be the go if you can get one small enough. I have never seen one in use around here though .
    Hey thanks for your advice. I was thinking a mid mount deck would make it difficult to get closer to the edge of corners etc, so would end up doing a lot of trimming. I think 36 would be quite restrictive for me, if I can picture my jobs correctly.

How do you find it on residential lawns, do you mulch & how do you find the finish. ever had any clients request for you to catch the grass as they dont like mulching or side throwing

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast