Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Honda Power Equipment

Default Re: Honda Power Equipment

You cant blame Honda though for the dealer being hopeless.. I have a big Honda dealer 5 minutes from my hut, but if I need anything for a mower I drive 30 minutes to another dealer who looks after me the big dealer couldn't care less so fark em no doubt this happens with other brands too

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    You cant blame Honda though for the dealer being hopeless.. I have a big Honda dealer 5 minutes from my hut, but if I need anything for a mower I drive 30 minutes to another dealer who looks after me the big dealer couldn't care less so fark em no doubt this happens with other brands too
    Couldnt agree more .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Yeah Im a bit over the Honda bashing, have look around 9 out of 10 guys use Honda mowers, Im not saying they are the best mowers but they are by no means the worst. Sometimes its not the mower but lack of experience, from the operator. Anyone can run a Honda into long grass and block it up, but a good operator knows the limitations of his machines

Honda are designed for a specific market , they are pricy for a reason, look at there advertising and you can see tthey are a premium mower for someone who takes pride in their lawn and can afford 1k for a mower with premium features , someone who cuts their lawn weekly or two weekly, not for someone who is 4-8 weekly with over grownn kikuyu grass.
    Independent and i know it

Rover is maarketed in a diferent way and is priced accoooordingly, its just a shame Honda market the 216 as a contractor mower yet it can't handle the variaty of types of. Lawns like the rover can
    Independent and i know it

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Seems to me that everyone has problems with any S/P mower. I haven't had any problems or costs with mowers for a long time. Ever since I went back to pushing a mower. I've gone to Masport now and couldn't be happier. Still have an old 196 which I really like too, but cant see myself buying another S/P. My gut muscules have never looked better, infact just bought 2 new pairs of jeans yesterday... size 32.

Yeah Im a bit over the Honda bashing, have look around 9 out of 10 guys use Honda mowers, Im not saying they are the best mowers but they are by no means the worst. Sometimes its not the mower but lack of experience, from the operator. Anyone can run a Honda into long grass and block it up, but a good operator knows the limitations of his machines

Now that's the most sensible thing I have heard on here for ages It does not matter what you run there is a limit to what it can do.

That's right a good operator knows the limit of their machine, but if the machine has such a limit as the 216 Honda then yes it should be discarded for something better, not saying that a Rover can't be stopped or blocked up as I have done that with my Rover a few times but it usually handles what I point it at. For those who push a mower then Honda is probably the best but because my back is crook I need a SP and I have found the Rover far better than the Honda. Horses for courses. Yes we bash Honda but if we don't who else are we going to have to pick on. Honda build a lot of good equipment and I have had some of their equipment over the years and if I was going to stay in this business I would probably buy more.

Im not very good at typing if I was I would sit and write a few pages that would help everyone understand what the problem is with cutting wet grass. But a little of the science of it to think about. cut one dry leaf blade and weigh it ,yes hard to do, it wouldn't be much, then cut one wet leaf and do the same , the weight would be many times more then the dry leaf. Its not just the surface water but the amont of water the plant cells have absorbd, can you see what Im getting at. The mower has to work much harder to throw the grass into the catcher.
    When I was greenkeeping we used 30 inch 3 phase scott bonnar queen mowers. I would backlap the cylinder every morning they were kept in top shape, would cut cigarette paper no problem, but when the grass was wet you would have to stop every few runs and scrap the grass back from the lip of the catcher. I don't know about the limits of the 216 mine has done 60 odd lawns this week 2 sets of blades and clean out the air filter a few times so I wouldn't say high maintenance

yah I agree in a way

but the prob is we cant choose the condition of the grass we mow - its not like its our own lawn and we can do her weekly or 2 weekly "when dry perfect conditions"

we have to mow what is there when we turn up. and if its heavy dew or rained the night/day before, or a bit long the Honda makes hard work of her

and if its longer than a "normal cut, what do ya do, say sorry missus my Honda cant cut that get another guy in with a rover? what I used ta have ta do is cut third or half width strips, and or cut at full height of the mower then the proper height - so it meant I was cutting the lawn 2, 3 or 4 times - with the rover its ONE cut and im goneski

rover not so much of a problem in those conditions, the extra power helps as does the bigger discharge port

still love the way she packs the catcher full, in almost any conditions

just cos "a lot of contractors" still use Honda doesn't make her the best mower.

try a rover if ya havent already its the best 700 bucks youll ever spend.

and merry xmas to ya all

nothing personal to all the honda fans, but I'm nonplussed at people defending them despite the endless pages here stating their problems

merry christmas

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Im not very good at typing if I was I would sit and write a few pages that would help everyone understand what the problem is with cutting wet grass. But a little of the science of it to think about. cut one dry leaf blade and weigh it ,yes hard to do, it wouldn't be much, then cut one wet leaf and do the same , the weight would be many times more then the dry leaf. Its not just the surface water but the amont of water the plant cells have absorbd, can you see what Im getting at. The mower has to work much harder to throw the grass into the catcher.
    When I was greenkeeping we used 30 inch 3 phase scott bonnar queen mowers. I would backlap the cylinder every morning they were kept in top shape, would cut cigarette paper no problem, but when the grass was wet you would have to stop every few runs and scrap the grass back from the lip of the catcher. I don't know about the limits of the 216 mine has done 60 odd lawns this week 2 sets of blades and clean out the air filter a few times so I wouldn't say high maintenance
    hi mate, you may be able to help with this one...

I have 2 clients with couch grass that have been let go but now am getting them back to good lawns even though they don't water them anywhere enough. They both have some shady areas which have very sparse lawn. what is good to oversow with? also for winter months!

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    nothing personal to all the honda fans, but I'm nonplussed at people defending them despite the endless pages here stating their problems

merry christmas
    Don't get me wrong I am not defending them and don't care what anyone runs , The main issue guys have is the chute blocking up, common sense should tell anyone that a mower with a full chute will collect better than one with a half chute. When Im out mowing I might collect one lawn than mulch one, and so on ,some I mulch with the catcher on so the client thinks Im picking it up , the Honda in this case is right for me, I also have run victa 550s the only reason I don't now is if I am mulching a big lawn I hit it with the walker.AS I say I only run their mowers and would be the first to bag their other gear

Yes I "bash" Honda. Not because they are bad equipment, but because they are pretty much the best equipment available until being ruined by silly design faults
    It shouldn't be possible for your average backyard bloke to take a welder, grinder, and some basic hand tools - and be able to significantly improve the abilities of a mower designed by a multi billion dollar corporation with more R&D funds than I will earn in 10x lifetimes.

It's the frustration of dealing with blatantly stupid, design faults.

It's the gouging of excess profits from contractors

It's having to pay a kings ransom for a mower, and then fix it to run properly before you even mow a blade of grass.

It's the arrogance of a company who treat the customer like an idiot.

And it's annoying because it doesn't have to be that way.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

I use a JS 48 (john deer)..does fine for me, a 909 18'" from Masters, its ok considering the price, A Parklander set of stuff, cheap but gets me thru, and a Troy built bent shaft 4 stroke whipper,plus a Homelite blower from Buntings, all cheap and seem to run fine, however I'm not doing 10 lawns a week. Had a honda in the very early 80's with 4 adjustable wheels and used it domestic until 2000, fully neglected the thing and it ran fine until it just gave up, so I put it out for the rubbish collection, went within 2 hrs, I seem to assume anything Honda these days aint the real deal, so I buy cheap....Am I alone here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    Yes I "bash" Honda. Not because they are bad equipment, but because they are pretty much the best equipment available until being ruined by silly design faults
    It shouldn't be possible for your average backyard bloke to take a welder, grinder, and some basic hand tools - and be able to significantly improve the abilities of a mower designed by a multi billion dollar corporation with more R&D funds than I will earn in 10x lifetimes.

It's the frustration of dealing with blatantly stupid, design faults.

It's the gouging of excess profits from contractors

It's having to pay a kings ransom for a mower, and then fix it to run properly before you even mow a blade of grass.

It's the arrogance of a company who treat the customer like an idiot.

And it's annoying because it doesn't have to be that way.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast