Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Honda Power Equipment

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Default Re: Honda Power Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    If he has come on here for the right reasons he is going to be a very busy man.
    South East Mowing, thanks for your concern

I will do my very best to respond to as many of your concerns as possible. I have been at Honda for only six months and am the Marketing & PR officer, so for some of the more technical questions it might take a while to get back to you. Of course, some might not be answerable, but rest assured that I will take the time to read every comment both negative and (hopefully) positive, and take your collective concerns up with our senior management staff.

I'm sure you can understand that many overarching decisions are made well above my head, but taking contractor suggestions is something that we are very serious about and I will do everything I can to pass your suggestions and concerns on.

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    We I have one suggestion for honda. The black covers over the cloth catchers are great in dry dusty conditions. However, now that we are experiencing a "grass wave" in Sydney, it is very restrictive of air flow with the amount of moisture the grass is holding. So the other day I took out my knife and cut some large flaps along the top, sides and back of the black dust cover. This allowed significantly more air flow ensuring that the catcher gets packed full in all but the most extreme of cases. So my suggestion to honda would be that the dust cover is made to be removable. Maybe fixed by either heavy duty press studs or a zipper or something like that. Those of you who complain about the small chute are kind of missing the point to some degree. The smaller chute actually means that the air is forced through at higher pressure that the larger chutes as long as the airflow is not restricted somewhere.
    Thanks for that Jason - that's a pretty interesting move, glad to hear it's working for you (although I don't know how it'll affect your warranty)! I will definitely add this to the (growing!) list of suggestions for our senior staff.

Cheers,
    Dylan

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGuy View Post
    It would be nice if Honda would have a contractor supply program to consolidate and grow their position in the commercial user market. Owing to the current price point, they are experiencing market fragmentation almost as significant as some current political parties.

The start of such a program should be special prices for bona fide contractors, perhaps by direct sales only or by a rebate after purchase. How about it, Honda?
    Hi GardenGuy, I have forwarded your entire comment to our National Sales Manager. Coming from a marketing & PR background I personally recognise the importance that contractors can play in this market. From a purely economical standpoint you make a lot of sense, and I will do everything I can to try and help make this happen.

Have a great weekend, and watch this space!

Dylan

Hi Dylan, i wish you luck in your new role and you are a brave man coming into the forum.

I have no dramas with Honda mowers, mine seem to be unbreakable and have lasted 7+ years. Honda brushcutters are another story altogether, i have had nothing but problems with them and Honda have refused to repair/replace them under warranty.
    I have found this aspect of Honda's business most unsatisfactory, customer service when it comes to warranty.
    Check out my thread titled 'Honda MPE disguisting' and you will see what i am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Mr Honda and Dylan welcome to the forum/site.
    I'm running 3 honda engined Commercial Victa lawn mowers. Mainly because I was not hearing good reports on the slightly narrower honda chute blocking. But the Victa is poor in the grass catcher mounting method.

Feedback.
    Ok a small but annoying concern re the Honda GVX160 on my two Victa 530 Turfmasters.
    The Honda exhaust outlet is a straight out forward exhaust almost flush with the exhaust body. It needs a very small, say 10- 15 degree upturned piped deflector, which can be home made.

As when there are dried leaves on the lawn surface in front of mower the exhaust can blow them around and can hinder the mower picking them up. Particularly on a quality lawn low cut lawn.
    With the prolonger hot summer condition experienced and trees dropping leaves in heat stress survival mode it can be annoying. Along with during Autumn and early winter with mega leaves on the lawns.
    Would you prefer polished chrome or polished stainless Gary?

Very Helpful Member

Just a note on the Big Bag Kit i believe if you fit it you can't use the mulching plug so it's catch or rear discharge
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Would you prefer polished chrome or polished stainless Gary?
    Black would do fine as it would then match the exhaust's color at the tip.

Today I was mowing a very fine low cut lawn that is sometimes mowed when it doesn't need it, but the costumers wants it done.
    It was covered in yellow heat stressed Silverbirch leaves and yep with the horizontal exhaust outlet was doing its thing until i put the SP in reverse.
    Nothing to do with the under carriage blade carrier or rotational angle.

Have Sunday off so I may make a little tiny deflector.
    It's as stressful to me as a Paddle Pop melting and dripping onto ones fingers
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

Garry maybe try doing it sideways as if you put an upwards facing deflector this could cause rain/water to be deflected into the exhaust outlet unless you have it attached starting under the outlet with it connected on the sides of the deflector and a gap between the bottom and the exhausts body
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Garry maybe try doing it sideways as if you put an upwards facing deflector this could cause rain/water to be deflected into the exhaust outlet unless you have it attached starting under the outlet with it connected on the sides of the deflector and a gap between the bottom and the exhausts body
    ian, you are on the money in your engineering design thoughts and must/could be an under cover Honda Consultant. Yes the way my gear box sliding pawls wear & clag up sometimes, side ways mowing is very possible and achievable. This could be a assest though when manovering around water meters.

PS I don't work in the rain, but I do ride my motorbike in the rain and it has an up sweeped exhaust. Maybe a little cocktail umbrella is required over the exhaust tip there.
    Cheers Garry

Welcome Dylan, good to have you here.

Two issues immediately spring to mind for us (we have been using Hondas for over 20 years).

One - your reps don't seem to care what contractors have to say. I have mentioned many times over the years about how heavy the mowers have become and the usual response from various reps is....... you must be getting old mate no body else is complaining about it. Nice response, so for me be nice if our opinions were taken on board rather than just brushed off. Same happened when the issues with the brushcutters started (early models).

Two - the weight of your mowers has steadily risen over the years to a point where its now a serious issue not only to the user (fatigue) but also to the lawns where if you are using them on a softish lawn damage is easily achieved. With all the materials available today im sure a weight reduction could be achieved and yes i personally would pay more for a decent weight saving. Cheers from Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Welcome Dylan, good to have you here.

Two issues immediately spring to mind for us (we have been using Hondas for over 20 years).

One - your reps don't seem to care what contractors have to say. I have mentioned many times over the years about how heavy the mowers have become and the usual response from various reps is....... you must be getting old mate no body else is complaining about it. Nice response, so for me be nice if our opinions were taken on board rather than just brushed off. Same happened when the issues with the brushcutters started (early models).

Two - the weight of your mowers has steadily risen over the years to a point where its now a serious issue not only to the user (fatigue) but also to the lawns where if you are using them on a softish lawn damage is easily achieved. With all the materials available today im sure a weight reduction could be achieved and yes i personally would pay more for a decent weight saving. Cheers from Craig.
    Hi Craig, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you feel that Honda's reps in your area have 'brushed you off'. If you have any details on who these reps are, can you please send them to me in a Private Message and I will forward them to our Sales Managers. Obviously this does not reflect well on the Honda name and if we can do something to stop reps giving you these impressions then we will.

As to your comments regarding the weight of the mowers, obviously the words I write on this forum will not immediately see any change in design. However your points - and those of your fellow contractors - are not falling on deaf ears, and you can be assured that all concerns raised here will be forwarded to senior management. Change on this scale, as I'm sure you can appreciate, does not happen overnight (or even over the course of a year), but it all begins with customer feedback such as this.

Thank you again, and I'm glad to see that you're still using Honda products after 20 years!

Cheers,
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Official_PR View Post
    Hi bb1, thanks for asking! Late last year Honda introduced the Big Bag Kit, which can be fitted onto all 19" models (except Mulch & Catch models). It retails at $80 and can be fitted by your local authorised Honda dealer in only half an hour. It has a larger tang and a 10% larger catching bag, and is designed to make life easier. For more information click here

The up-take of the Big Bag Kit has been very impressive over the past few months - of course, most of the country has been pretty dry conditions over the summer so the conditions could've been better! The Big Bag Kit has also been nominated for 2012 Product Of The Year in Power Equipment Australasia magazine, so I would encourage you to drop by your local dealer and give it a try.

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Dylan, you must have miss read my comment, I was talking about the 196 which is a mulch and catch. Rang a dealer and he actually has never fitted one, because as soon as he mentions that you loose the mulch function, most contractors dont want it. So I am still left with a poorly designed 196 mower. Rememer this was the new and improved one, which in my view was ten steps back from the original 196.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Official_PR View Post
    Hi Craig, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you feel that Honda's reps in your area have 'brushed you off'. If you have any details on who these reps are, can you please send them to me in a Private Message and I will forward them to our Sales Managers. Obviously this does not reflect well on the Honda name and if we can do something to stop reps giving you these impressions then we will.

As to your comments regarding the weight of the mowers, obviously the words I write on this forum will not immediately see any change in design. However your points - and those of your fellow contractors - are not falling on deaf ears, and you can be assured that all concerns raised here will be forwarded to senior management. Change on this scale, as I'm sure you can appreciate, does not happen overnight (or even over the course of a year), but it all begins with customer feedback such as this.

Thank you again, and I'm glad to see that you're still using Honda products after 20 years!

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Dylan, I am still using Honda products after 19 years - mowers that is. A bunch of 195's and 215's that are good general mowers - even if a little under powered. The newer heavier mowers, with motors made in China I do not know much about, except what I hear from other contractors and don't really want to try them out until MAJOR changes have been made. I have enough mowers to see me through the next 5-10 years at least based upon previous experience with the 195's and 194's. Maybe the self propelled will need a new motor but thats all. It's something I dont think would happen if I had the newer mowers (motors made in China). Because of the range of mowers available and how us Aussies seem to have absolutely no say in the gear they get dumped upon them I would change mowers in a heartbeat if something with the reliablity, weight and performance of the 195 (with a little more HP) was made by any competitor. At the end of the day I just want a good general all round push mower and then a self propelled mower that handles most conditions quite well AND doesn't leave me feeling like I have finished a weights session at the end of that 8hr day. With the Aussie dollar high we are starting to import our own gear in from USA and for some this is the best option, but we would like to see some of the different models available in USA on the shelves in Australia (at a reasonable price)

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I ordered a new starter assembly on saturday for a hru 196. Got told they could fix it but I don't want to be without the mower at the moment so told them just order the whole thing. What I would like to know is why it would only cost me $45 for an after market assembly compaired to $200 for a honda unit? I cannot understand how a starter assembly can cost that much.

BTW I ordered the after market unit. If I had no choice, I would just get the rover back out.

Very Helpful Member

John i agree i have the 197's as i didn't like the weight of the 196's and that was the old style before they added the extra 10kg when mine brake i will be replacing parts including the engine or buying another brand

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast