Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Honda Power Equipment

Default Re: Honda Power Equipment

Thanks Dylan for the reply. Sadly i didn't get either of the reps names. If it happens again i will be sure to get those details. I might send you a private message with the details of the shops and the date (roughly) it happened. Haven't seen a Honda rep in years so they may have moved on or been moved on by now. Cheers.

Dylan, just wanted to ask too about the pricing on some accessories. Sometimes genuine parts are actually cheaper at the dealer than buying aftermarket parts online but why the huge difference in the price of air-filters for the GXV160 motor?

$30 vs $8 for essentially an identical item.

Paul you could say the same about quotes on jobs .Franchises are more expensive than Independents but sometimes they are better .Then you have the cowboys even cheaper lol

If you put a non gen part on a mower that has a warranty and something happens it could be the cause of the non gen part or they could blame the non gen part .

i am only guessing that the domestic market sales out weighs contractor sales by a huge amount .I know (Domestic User )Ray has a Hru 194 and has had it for 23 years and may of only changed his filter 10 times .

Online shopping has become huge in the last 2-3 years imports into this country is massive anybody can import a container of anything if they so desired .
    Some chainsaws only cost 20.00 to manufacture in China.

If you sell one filter for 30.00 and you sell one filter for 8.00 four times as much work to make the same money . Bit like us we have 40 hours in a week we can do those hours for 30 bucks and hour ,quickly your 40 hours is taken up .Then you figure ok on all my new customers ill try and get 40 bucks and hour drop off the 30 an hour customers and so on .Or you can work out your market and go straight to 50 all about working out your market and competition .

One thing about Honda Australia they will be able to supply you any part for any mower they have sold .The other company may only have 1-3-5- parts .You want to have that convienience you have to pay for it .Swings and roundabouts

Just my view

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Franchises dearer than independents and cowboys cheaper again? Not always the case and we all know that. It's possible Honda could try to refuse a warranty claim but from what a lot of guys have said on here over the years they seem to be pretty good at that anyway. Isn't it law that to refuse a warranty claim because of an aftermarket spare part Honda (or any business) has to prove that the problem was as a direct result of using that part?

Was thinking about % of domestic sales to contractor sales. When you take into account the amount of turnover contractors go through I bet the difference is almost nil. I would even say that we spend a lot more on consumables than domestic clients.

The air-filters I mentioned are case in point - after fuel they would be my most frequent consumable. Domestic clients might change their filter once a year if they're lucky. I've bought plenty of genuine Honda items when the price is right but I buy carefully for the things where a good deal of money can be saved too. $30 vs $8 for a filter is ridiculous especially when there is next to no appreciable difference in quality. If someone can show me that the filter construction and micron size of a 'Honda' stamped filter is vastly superior I may reconsider my thoughts but why would anyone pay $30 each for something that has to be changed so often - every day in some cases of very dry, dusty weather. I usually wash the outer pre-filter three times and blow the dust out of the filter each time as well just to make them go a little further.

Are the Honda filters made here (which seems to be a business' justification these days as to why things are so expensive) or are they made in China just like the $8 units that do just as good a job?

Double Double...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Dylan, just wanted to ask too about the pricing on some accessories. Sometimes genuine parts are actually cheaper at the dealer than buying aftermarket parts online but why the huge difference in the price of air-filters for the GXV160 motor?

$30 vs $8 for essentially an identical item.
    Thats what i was getting at Paul swings and roundabouts so the way you are purchasing it may work out your spending the same either way overall.Sometimes genuine parts are actually cheaper at the dealer than buying aftermarket parts online you said .

Heres an example on my store you can buy a filter for 18.00 or you can buy three for 33.00 .The person just wanting one filter pays 18.00 better than paying 33.00 for 2 extra filters he is not going to use .

Did you buy one filter 8.00 plus postage online
    Last edited by administrator; 22-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.

off topic sorry
    Time is a very important and in my view the most expensive part of your business .

If you have seen the movie In Time with Justin Timberlake www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNzhEKm3w4

The characters have a time code on there arm and when time runs out you drop dead bit more in depth but you get what i mean lol .

If we had a watch like that would we all live our lifes differently and i reckon everything would be heaps more expensive lol .

dont answer as its off topic .

Very Helpful Member

Paul this may interest you
    http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...r-higher-costs
    namely
    Microsoft Australia managing director Pip Marlow said it was the global software giant's right to charge what it thought the market would bear for its products.

"We don't operate on a single global price because we don't believe every market is the same," she told the committee in Canberra.

I know this is microsoft but i think a lot of 'global'companies think the same whereas the Chinese companies don't care if they can get US$10 from some one in the U.S or US$10 from someone in Australia so they will charge the same before government and transport costs
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Did you buy one filter 8.00 plus postage online
    I usually buy ten at a time with free postage. They actually cost $7.50 each and even cheaper again to buy 20 at a time. I'm not wanting to pick a fight or split hairs but I just can't work out why the Honda filters cost $30 each. Even most car and truck air-filters don't cost anywhere near that.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    namely
    Microsoft Australia managing director Pip Marlow said it was the global software giant's right to charge what it thought the market would bear for its products.

"We don't operate on a single global price because we don't believe every market is the same," she told the committee in Canberra.

I know this is microsoft but i think a lot of 'global'companies think the same whereas the Chinese companies don't care if they can get US$10 from some one in the U.S or US$10 from someone in Australia so they will charge the same before government and transport costs
    Yep bend over Aussies, more big surprises coming your way!
    www.SouthEastMowing.com.au
    Mob: 0423 091 182

www.southeast-mowing.com.au
    0411 040 026

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    namely

I heard an excerpt on radio today Ian from the Parliamentary Inquiry into Adobe's software pricing. Their only defence/excuse was that they provide customers a 'total experience' when they visit the AU Adobe website. I nearly had to stop the car and pull over as I was laughing so hard .

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I just can't work out why the Honda filters cost $30 each. Even most car and truck air-filters don't cost anywhere near that.
    i would guess it's the same reason the cost of most lawnmowers have either dropped or not increased in the last 10 years except Hondas which have increased
    another example is the HRC 216 rrp in the U.S is about $1300 in AU it costs over $3000 they charge us more because we can pay more and most people are like sheep and just keep paying it as far as I'm concerned the main reason to by Honda is simply because of the plethora of cheaper after market parts
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

How often do you guys change air filters? ive never changed one ever lol

6-12 months.............. closer to 12-24 actually lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Depends how dusty and dry it is been priity good here lattley....Honda 216 filters me every to months but if heavy dusty one a month....had a person roll over to the state's bought me a box of them back I'm like you real....bye in bulk the way....anyway yeah....

Last time i bought a filter $30
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast