Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Honda Power Equipment

Default Re: Honda Power Equipment

OK I have 2 genuine things to report now...

I believe there is a manufacturing or design flaw in these:

Honda front axles. I've had multiple break where the axle is welded to the triangular bracket that holds the wheel. (its like the factory weld doesn't penetrate the metal properly) think ive had 4 break on me in the last 2 years

Also have had 2 of the new m2 mowers handle bar snap on the left side above the controls - seems that the metal is too weak or thin in that area... also that side seems to have a lot of tension / presure from the control levers / springs etc???

I am disappointed in the wear rate of the rear wheels and the scroll underneath the mower, and the sides of the deck, however when the above two problems occur there is no warning and the mower is rendered useless instantly ( usually damaging the ground when the wheel falls off! and hurting your hand when the sharp broken metal handle bars scrape and jam your finger in between the broken parts!!!!)

I don't know how many of these issues are actually reported as I welded both broken handle bars back together myself and also fixed one or 2 or the broken axles.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I have had these exact problems even back 6 yrs ago, to the point where I weld the front stub axles as soon as I get a new machine. At least the engines keep thumping along. Thinking of trying proscape 3 in 1 mower. Anyone had good result with these?

Very Helpful Member

I'm pretty sure TLLG has the 3 in 1 i have the non side throw with the kawa engine and am happy with it but due to my setup i only use it on larger lawns so has had more of a large homeowner style usage in the 2 years I've had it than a contractors useage the problem is see with the proscapes are that with out the speed up kit(an added expence about $60-$70 i think) they are quite slow and even after adding one it's a good idea to increase the revs
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    I have had these exact problems even back 6 yrs ago, to the point where I weld the front stub axles as soon as I get a new machine. At least the engines keep thumping along. Thinking of trying proscape 3 in 1 mower. Anyone had good result with these?
    thats a good idea... would be easier than repairing as you know its nice and straight!

this is a totally honest opinion on the honda vs the rovers. i have no axe to grind, i am not taking the p!ss, not meaning to offend. just being totally HONEST, if thats ok?

same axle thing happened to me when the honda was near new, the dealer welded it for me n/c

i have had a honda hru216d for about 3 years, what i WILL say is that hondas seem over engineered (bullet proof if you like) but that makes them heavy and expensive in and of itself.

in that time, i have had a rover pc 560 for about 15 months. since buying it i only use the honda when the rovers getting serviced. it since needed a few repairs in the back end, (lol i said back end) and i chose to buy another rover pc 50 instead of fixing the 560 at this time. (had the 50 for about 3 weeks now, and am loving it)

EVERY mow i had to do with the honda while the rover was in the shop was just plain PAINFUL. i HATE the honda now. just plain hate the thing.

why?

the honda is HEAVY - the pc50 actually feels SO LIGHT after using the honda for a couple weeks, i feel i can just pick it up under one arm and walk away. the 50 is a pleasure to use. the honda - a dog.

the handles on the honda are WAY too low (i am 6'2") and shorter it seems - the rovers are easy to wheelstand and move around. the honda not so.

on the honda, to get a full catcher in slightly wet/long/thick grass, you have to stop 3 times, and use a stick (which you have to carry on the deck) to poke in there and get the clippings out of the chute, then pack the clippings into the bag with your hand. then you get to the ute, empty the catcher, and use the stick again to clear the chute. RARELY do the rovers need clearing in this way, and they ALWAYS pack the catchers full - to the extent that a rover catcher altho 10 litres smaller, weighs just as much as a honda catcher

the honda engine is far underpowered compared to the rover - far far far underpowered. even more so now rovers have the 910 (9.1 ft-pounds of torque vs 8.5 ft-pnds for the 850 series)

the speed they travel along the ground - rovers one gear is like about 3.5 on a honda - and yes you can safely ride the clutch of a rover, the mechanics checked out my 15 month old 560, it was still on its "first position" and had no discernible wear.)

the 50 has a new drive bar that makes it easier to "ride the clutch" to make your ground speed slower. (the big bar in the middle where the old 560 had its bar is the ENGINE STOP - its not a blade brake, not an engine brake, it just "turns off the engine") - the drive control is under your right hand, a little hand sized bar thats comfortable to use, and easy to "ride"

imho the ONE advantage that honda has is the gearbox - but its also the one thing (aPART from engine size) which makes it a dog - that small opening for the clippings to get out of.

i have identified a few practices with the rover that could potentially make it last a lot longer, which i'll post later, but $700 compared to $1600 odd for the honda? no thanks mr honda - you can keep your heavy, overpriced, stick in the chute mower. i'll keep buying rovers.

and IF i couldnt buy a rover, i'd buy a bushranger or mtd 509 x , or yes even a chonda. (btw redeye, bushrangers are being made again in NZ as bushrangers now mtd has stopped licensing them to make them as 509x's, i found a shop that stocks them - pricing anomaly, though, you can still get the 509x for about $650, the bushie was $1250. but they HAVE beefed up the control linkages for your extra $600 lol.)

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Dylan, just wanted to ask too about the pricing on some accessories. Sometimes genuine parts are actually cheaper at the dealer than buying aftermarket parts online but why the huge difference in the price of air-filters for the GXV160 motor?

$30 vs $8 for essentially an identical item.
    Hi PaulG,

I have spoken with our Senior Engineer about your question, and have received the following feedback:

Obviously, as you have pointed out the dealer-bought Honda air-filters for the GXV160 are more expensive than other aftermarket parts. Compared though to these copy Air filters, there are many benefits to be had by purchasing the original Honda replacement parts.
    i.e.
    The micron rating of the paper and foam will be correct to ensure optimum engine running in terms of air/fuel mixture. This minimises the release of harmful CO emissions and other nasties on our environment.
    Also the Air filter, being the major component of the engine filtration system is to Honda standard and quality controlled, so will ensure long engine life if correctly maintained.
    The bonding, seals and materials used in the filters construction are all top notch and this ensures long life and reliable long term filtration performance.
    Finally, and importantly, the original part is guaranteed and has our back-up.

I hope that the above facts make it a little easier in justifying a higher cost basis for the original part.

Regards,
    Dylan
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    That honda guy should send me some honda shin pads for that last post....

They like $70 crazy prise....
    Hi 63impala,

Thanks for posting that video, the Hedgetrimmer attachment actually has an RRP of $429, not sure where you got the $70 from? Compared to the standard Honda hedgecutter it is almost half the price, but if you've got a Honda straight shaft brushcutter (UMK425/UMK435) it'll save you a fair bit of storage space - and engine maintenance. You can see from the video how easy it is to attach.

We also introduced a Pruner attachment last year, which has an RRP of $399. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL82d74MFqY

Alternatively, versions of both these attachments are available on our recently-released VersaTool.

As for the Honda chaps, well, I'm on the lookout for some myself! Much classier than a couple of bits of cardboard taped around my shins!

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Very Helpful Member

Dylan it appears you may need others to act as interpreters for the imp until you get your mind twisted enough to understand him i think he was saying you should send him a set of Honda shin protectors apparently they have a rrp of $70 not the hedge trimmer
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Ian the decoder so true....What he said dylan.

I can field test them and write report for honda....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

i like the cardboard duct taped to the shins, simple, easy, and environmentally recycable.

no doubt we'll be seeing them in the honda catalog:

Honda Environmentally Sustainable Shin Guards RRP $39 (In Consultation With Lawn Mowing Contractors)

HAs anyone had any experience with the Honda leaf Blowers?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Very Helpful Member

yes they're a 4 stroke heavy and under powered had 2 seized them brought the makita 4 stroke lighter,more powerful and heaps cheaper managed to seize that as well so back to 2 strokes never to change again

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

I bought a Honda blower in 2009... i had it for around 2 months before i sold that run with all honda equipment (mower, whipper and blower)

Long story short... I have since bought a pope blower, pope whipper and rover mower for my current run... i will probably buy honda gear just before i sell this run

They are expensive, under powered and heavy in my opinion. good if you only want to use ULP for all your equipment but i don't care to use 2 stroke.

Simmo.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of changing everything to 4 stroke
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Very Helpful Member

if you do i would go the makita over the honda i found it lighter,more powerful and a heap cheaper but the problem i found is that in spring, summer when you are working your hardest and it's the hottest this is the time when you really have to be vigilant with keeping an eye on the oil level and changing the oil regularly but it's also the time when all you want to do when you get home is go inside to the air conditioner not stand out side in 35oheat much easier to just make up a 5lt container of 2 stroke and use this to refill blower and brushcutter maybe twice a day no harder than refilling the mower and an extra 5lt container takes up bugger all space

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast