Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What we want from honda.

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: What we want from honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    They make far more out of their retails sales, they can spend less on the product and charge much more for it, plus it tends to not break down within the warranty period.
    That's why they don't care. Pure economics unfortunately
    I've had 6 of 8 in for warranty repairs within a month
    but yes you are correct and while contractors still continue to use them they will get the free advertising of it's the one contractors use, even a lot of contractors use them because that's what they see others using
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

so long as people are silly enough to keep buying them ($1400+ ) why would they change? the vast majority of faults/complaints on here relate to honda yet everyone keeps buying them - does my head in

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    so long as people are silly enough to keep buying them ($1400+ ) why would they change? the vast majority of faults/complaints on here relate to honda yet everyone keeps buying them - does my head in
    Yes... there are alot of silly people out there. Lets be honest... Honda doesn't want "your" business except for the initial sale so your a rolling billboard.

From what i have heard countless of times before is Honda makes you battle them with any warranty issues and aftersales support... The current model is "apparently" an inferior product that isn't anywhere close to the standards required for the Australian market.

You can bring in a Honda from the US cheaper with better specs... so it is available!

Not to mention, You could almost purchase 3 rovers and give them an easy life of running only 1 or 2 days each a week for almost the same price.

I wonder when Honda will be replying to all this feedback Great marketing for them though!!!!

Has anyone considered buying or bought the "commercial" model? is it worth the extra $$$$ or another marketing ploy to make the "average one to look reasonable value!

There is no competition for commecial grade mowers... so why would they change anything?

Simmo.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I've had 6 of 8 in for warranty repairs within a month
    but yes you are correct and while contractors still continue to use them they will get the free advertising of it's the one contractors use, even a lot of contractors use them because that's what they see others using
    So why do you continue to buy them?

Ian, Do you think they would have still gone in for warranty within a month if it was a dedicated domestic user? (lets say 25 mows a year x 2 years warranty = 50 lawns) That's only a weeks work for most established contractor's. Wouldn't that mean a months work for a contractor be equivelent to 8 years for domestic use???

This is why Honda (in my opinion) needs to produce a quality and robust commercial mower.

Anyway... that's enough of me promoting honda.

Simmo.

I'd be interested in trying one these mowers that people keep saying will fill the bag with no blocking in high moisture conditions. I've got two 216Ds and although I like them generally with the current high moisture content in the grass I'm having the same problem, they mow fine but don't fill the bag. Even after a week of sunshine the moisture content is very high

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post
    So why do you continue to buy them?

Ian, Do you think they would have still gone in for warranty within a month if it was a dedicated domestic user? (lets say 25 mows a year x 2 years warranty = 50 lawns) That's only a weeks work for most established contractor's. Wouldn't that mean a months work for a contractor be equivelent to 8 years for domestic use???

This is why Honda (in my opinion) needs to produce a quality and robust commercial mower.

Anyway... that's enough of me promoting honda.

Simmo.
    1st warranty 2nd 195 was a broken starter spring mower was only i think about 2weeks old
    2nd was i waited for the new 195 with reinforced lower handle and axles the rear axle snapped the weld on the 1st lawn
    3rd was a 196 backfiring from the 1st lawn in for repair started backfiring again on the 2nd lawn had the carby replaced
    4th 1st 197 the blade carrier fell to the ground on i think the 1st lawn the bolt had sheared off
    5th kept playing up in the end found part between carby and engine had been put in backwards
    6th mower kept stalling eventually realised it was the mower not the way the wife was using it took it back nd part of the engine housing wasn't machined/cast properly fix under warranty
    so 1st 195 and last 197 have been the only ones not put in under warranty and i think 4 of the 6 would have been picked up by a consumer the other 2 may have been or may have just had them saying it was a useless piece of c***

note after the initial repair they have all given years of hard service and the old 19" models suited my setup the new ones don't so it will be repair what i have,find another brand I'm happy with or change my whole setup but if i change my setup it probably won't be with Honda i will probably from reviews change to Rover or MTD
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Hi folks, my name is Dylan and I work for Honda head office in the marketing & PR area. I've been working at Honda for six months so I will in no way be able to answer all of your questions at once. Personally, my technical knowledge is still building but rest assured that I will be passing many of your concerns on to our senior management.

I want to let you know that yes, we really do care that contractors such as yourselves have concerns about some of our products. We realise that the contractor market for Honda has decreased over the past few years and this is something that we want to rectify. Research & Development is something we contribute to a lot, and most of the suggestions that we forward on to our R&D teams overseas are spawned from comments and suggestions like the ones you have mentioned.

You may be aware that in late 2012 Honda introduced the 'Big Bag Kit', which is designed to make life easier as you mow the many lawns that contractors do. For more information you can read more about it here: http://powerequipment.honda.com.au/L...gh_Jobs_Easier but it is designed with a larger chute and a larger catching bag. It can be attached to all Honda 19" mowers, and your local Honda dealer will be able to fit it to your existing mower in about half an hour.

Again, thanks for expressing your concerns and feedback about these couple of mowers. They are being taken on board and you can rest assured that, as I mentioned, I will raise them with senior management.

Regards,
    Dylan.
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Hi dylan welcome aboard.

I have just checked out the Big bag kit and spoken to a dealer (no names). The big issue I can see and this was the general view he has gotten from contractors, as soon as you attach the big bag kit, no mulching plug. Bingo, useless for contractors. Its interesting you say that honda have lost market share to contractors, this is exactly one reason why, you introduce a retrofit (which we have to pay for), to supposedly make it better for contractors, your advertising blurb says it, but you take away one of the things a contractor wants.

welcome Dylan ....

yes , loss of mulching plug is a detriment and far from being an upgrade

3 steps back , 1 step forward

Nice to meet you, Dylan.

I hope that your kind greeting and introduction can become the genesis of an effective resolution of the troubles which contractors have with your brand, and perhaps something more useful for both your company and we contractors, moving forward. It is hoped that the change can occur at a fairly quick rate.

We recognise that you, as a person, will be forced to tow the corporate line. We hope that your modes of influence and evidence-based encouragement can cause the necessary members of your firm to think and act favourably. The busiest part of the season is slowing now, for some. You're lucky enough to have a small number of weeks on your side so that you can help your company and a market sector who is feeling somewhere between "unloved" and "forcibly abused".

Please remind the management that the revenue and profit streams which they are not receiving benefit from are:[*]Machinery sales[*]Consumable sales

Likewise, they need to be reminded that some imported Honda-engined appliances may have different performance characteristics and durability, and may impact Honda's preferred brand reputation in this market segment. For Honda and its agents to say "Yes, they're copies, but we're better" is of little value. Honda needs to consolidate its support for a market segment which provides profitable and loyal revenue.

Disloyalty to the brand, by commercial clients choosing clone or similar products, is because the brand has been disloyal and, dare I say it, arrogant toward commercial clients.

It's all up to you. I hope that you don't sully the brand, or your own name, with some shallow platitudes. That kind of mess is very hard to remove from a company's name and reputation, and may take many years and much expense to repair.

Good luck, man. Good luck.

Best Regards - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

Hi Dylan, and welcome!

Not sure if this thread has helped you with varied opinions of what we all want yet but here's hoping. However as you probably know all good conversations never stay on the same topic.

Hi Dylan
    Question why hasnt Honda returned the HRU 216 AND 196 BACK INTO THE MARKET .

Question see link http://www.masters.com.au/product/90...er-530mm-tn011 Why do you let all your competition take more sales from your Australian company .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

One of my local mower shops does a 216 copy for $1000. Only looked at it briefly as I was looking for parts for my Atom edger, but will probably check it out soon. I'm not a fan of the blade brake on the new Honda's, although I can see the benefits regarding safety, as it's one more thing that can break down on a mower that just doesn't seem to be as solidly built as they used to be. I'm still considering the rover, great price, but I like a 3 speed gearbox. My other option is the one Arfa imported. Just want to wait another 6 months or so to see how it goes longterm, but seems good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Hi Dylan
    Question why hasnt Honda returned the HRU 216 AND 196 BACK INTO THE MARKET .

Question see link http://www.masters.com.au/product/90...er-530mm-tn011 Why do you let all your competition take more sales from your Australian company .
    Another question for Honda, whats happened to Dylan, no posts since early April, does this show what honda thinks about us contractors, the sales pitch didnt work,

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Hi all,

In regards to the TPE mowers that you've referred to, although they have what appears to be a Honda engine on their mowers, we are very concerned with their appearance in the marketplace because these units are not designed for Australian conditions.

If you look closely, you will see that these TPE mowers have had their engine serial numbers ground down. As I'm sure you can agree, this is very concerning as these mowers will not be covered by any Honda warranty, and really question the motives of the seller.

For more information on these ground down serial numbers, I encourage you to visit www.hondaserialoffenders.com.au

The HRU216 and HRU196 are both available currently - you should find them at your local authorised Honda dealer, or by visiting our website at http://powerequipment.honda.com.au

I hope that helps!

(Also, I haven't gone anywhere - it doesn't seem that there have been any posts on this thread in the last 4 weeks or so, so I haven't had any questions to answer! Don't think I haven't forgotten about you!)

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast