Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: New System Install

Default New System Install

Have not put in a system since my first house 25+ years ago.

This regular clients has had a garden revamp and now wants a basic low cost system in.

Most is simple - approx 100mtrs in length, a little digging through lawns, under paths but mostly just laid and hidden under mulch (requested)
    Water pressure is good and can run off three taps. No outdoor power so manual timers. One length would be approx 60 mtrs in length but can split it in two if any problems.
    It is mainly along fencelines and around house BUT it also has many trees and 3 gum trees.

Suppliers and service in Melb south east? Who provides good literature to guide you through it?

What hints and tips or likely problems should I look for. Would a drip or spray system be best?

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

Default Re: New System Install

i dont know who sells in the your area, but i know down here that one of the irrigation suppliers i went to said "if you ever need an irrigation plan, we'll do it for free, as long as you buy everything from us". its easy for them. they know what and how many sprinklers can be run off a line without losing pressure. i think most irrigation places would have this service. however, my particular supplier gave me f all to no trade discount and from now on ill be buying from wetearth. http://www.wetearth.com.au/content/trade.asp. also globe australia sell irrigation but i was told i have to email a list of what i want to get prices on. very long list so havent bothered. anyone got any prices from globe out there? would love a copy of it.
    it pays to do your research on prices first, so you dont get completely ripped off like i was (still really sore about it). dont think just cos your trade they will look after you.

most irrigation shops will run up a plan for you free as long as you buy the parts from them which is fair enough. they will also be able to tell you about all the battery powered timers. just make sure that they give you detailed copy of the plan sothat you dont end up with a jigsaw puzzle that doesnt have the picture on the front of the box
    Indy and proud

Sent you a text today about this SEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Sent you a text today about this SEM.
    Got it mate, thanks. forgot to reply

Is it just for garden beds or lawns? If its just gardens I would go for drip line. As a rough guide you can run about 400 lineal metres of drip line on one zone. Take off the tap and install a brass tee, ball valve, and dual check valve for back flow prevention. Install a Hunter Node battery operated solenoid valve. They are very easy to use and are a proper solenoid valve. Install a pressure reducing valve after the Node and then run our 25mm poly pipe. You then connect the drip line using elbow start connectors and a special punch tool. Just run the drip line next to the plants or every .5m if you want it perfect.

If you need 2 zones just do the same setup in the middle and install a 25mm tee after the dual check valve and run a Node for each half or third if you need 3. Measure the square metres and basically double it to work out how many metres of drip line you need. At the end of the dripline you have a collector pipe which is just 25mm poly again which makes it form a grid. Install a flush valve at the end of the collector line to ensure any rubbish is flushed from the system each time it turns on.

Reece plumbing have irrigation stores throughout Melbourne and are very good on pricing and they can also tell you everything you will need and give you advice on installing it.

Feel free to give me a buzz if you need to know anything.

Any chance of a diagram....i got lost in translation..............

Cheers
    Independent and i know it