Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Securing a Domain Name

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Default Re: Securing a Domain Name

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    simmo,

you have to be careful with what youre doing.

in my old business we did something similar,

i was told that i was lucky we didnt run afoul of the franchising laws, even if you dont sell it "as a franchise" theres lots of laws in place now that force you to do things "the right way"

i was told that i would have had to spend many tens of thousands of $ to set it up in a way that a disgruntled "purchaser" wouldnt be able to take everything off me.

franchising "properly" not only protects the zee but the zor too.

imo when you add up all the costs of setting it up, in a way that ensures safety for everyone, the 30,000 a zee is cheap.
    The model is very different to a franchise model...

I won't go in detail here how it works exactly but it's a pretty simple set up with minimal risks.

Simmo.

Thanks Garden Guy.

I don't know the guy so i will probably put in a backorder... The laws are alot more strict here with .com.au domains so hopefully all will go well.

Thanks Again

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    My head hurts, I got lost after the first sentence, I like this KISS theory, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
    Lol not sure why u make everything so difficult Simmo.
    Sorry that your head hurts... i'm assuming you know nothing about expired domain names.

If it's to difficult to read and comprehend... maybe stop reading would be the idea. Now that would be keeping it simple.

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Cmon fellas, leave the poor guy alone. He just has big dreams is all.

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    I'm with you greenie. Why unnecessarily over-complicate the uncomplicated?
    I'm not interested in working a 40 hour a week mowing lawns as a single operator until retirement (30 more years)... I understand that the majority on here do and are happy to continue to work like this... everyone to there own.

Many say growth can't be done in this industry successfully as there are to many variables - rates per hour are to low, weather conditions, start up costs, growth costs etc.

Owning a "successful" business is very complicated without the right knowledge... this is why the majority of businesses fail within 2 years! People that are self employed (as i am now) usually last longer but reality is they don't own a business but instead own a job... it is what it is... Being Self employed is being a self employee with all the business headaches associated but with some flexibility. If you don't work, you don't get paid... a business is an entity within itself and if it is runnning profitable it will continue to make money if it is rain, hail or shine with or without you.

I have decided to back myself and use my knowledge and previous experience to create a business in the coming months. In my opinion, if things don't work out... i can always build up another mowing run as a self employee within a few weeks and be exactly where i left off.

As i had mentioned previously, the concept of growth isn't for everyone... people that have an established run arn't usually interested in expanding or becoming a business owner. This is the main reason why i need to be very careful who is part of the group... I need to be alligned with like minded individuals who have vision and goals.

It isn't a franchise... It's a marketing strategy that generates lead for business owners within the group. I only need to have a licenced agreement for the name for the simple fact that everyone will be promoting the brand and It is the only way to protect everyone within the group.

Simmo.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Not that its something that would interest me but if it works well done if it doesn't at least it hasn't cost you your life savings.

I own a domain name with strong key words but haven't really looked at how to buy 1 that is already owned by someone else. So I cant help you there sorry Simmo.

just out of curiosity...has anyone ever seen Simmo and Garden Guy in the same room??

Sterlo
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sterlo View Post
    just out of curiosity...has anyone ever seen Simmo and Garden Guy in the same room??

Sterlo
    I haven't.... well, not to my knowledge

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by lawn mowing professionals View Post
    sorry that your head hurts... I'm assuming you know nothing about expired domain names.

If it's to difficult to read and comprehend... Maybe stop reading would be the idea. Now that would be keeping it simple.

Simmo.
    don't feed the troll

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    don't feed the troll
    Noted and confirmed lol

Simmo.

Very Helpful Member

good luck hope it goes well and you are happy and enjoy what you get
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Lol hope we can get some of this bandwidth back hahaha

Just an update...

The Domain name has dropped but been captured by a domain broker (shock horror)... The domain name is inactive, which means they haven't purchased it but simply holding it until someone makes an offer.

I can probably buy it for $1 off them... but then they sting you with few hundred dollars to transfer and then to register the domain name of them.

I will wait a few more days and see if they purge the domain back to the public domain due to lack of interest.

The lesson is if you have a domain name that is coming up... don't check it until after it is ment to be released. These companies have software to track how many searches have been made and any interest.

If i register the company and trademark it i will "most likely" be entitled to the name anyways if a broker is "holding it"... this particular company has had plenty of high profile rulings against them for breach of trademark... they are registered with ausregistry and allowed to "hold names" just in case they can sell it... in my eyes its criminal.

Anyways, i will wait and see if i still want to use the name if and when it becomes available.

Simmo.

A broker can't be in trouble for holding a domain name or breaching a trademark if you haven't even registered the company and applied for a trademark.

Nothing criminal about what they are doing either, they are in business trying to make money like the rest of us. Domain name selling was a big thing a few years ago and this broker is obviously still in the game.

Domain names have no bearing on the strength of "keywords" for a site. Google indexes the actual content of the site, and cross references this to links to and from other sites, and also to Google places and Google maps.
    This cross referencing builds the authenticity"of the site, and as such improves the position of the site in Google searches.
    Your domain name is simply eye candy, nothing more, and is an easy way for us humans to remember how to get to your website.
    I could get www.spamspamspam.com to rank in the top 10 for mowing in cairns if I was so inclined

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast