Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Securing a Domain Name

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Default Re: Securing a Domain Name

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    A broker can't be in trouble for holding a domain name or breaching a trademark if you haven't even registered the company and applied for a trademark.

Nothing criminal about what they are doing either, they are in business trying to make money like the rest of us. Domain name selling was a big thing a few years ago and this broker is obviously still in the game.
    I agree they aren't in breach of trademark as I haven't applied for a trademark yet.

The reason why i say "in my eyes" it's criminal is a .com.au domain is ment to be owned by a business that is directly related to the domain name. As they are part of the 40 or so registered domainers in the country... they can hold and have "inactive" names just incase they can sell them. They hold dozens of names like this each day...

The part where they make the money is charging you to transfer into your name (although it is inactive) and then make you register through them.

So you think that is a level playing field

It is hosting business using there authority to catch domains using sophisticated software to maximise profit... they aren't a domain broker... they are a domain hosting service and in there words - Australia's most advanced drop and secondary market domain service. Most of there sales are less than $100 but cost $300 - $400 to transfer etc.

Domain name selling is still very big business... most are for .com as there are almost no restrictions and that is a level playing field.

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by dooley View Post
    Domain names have no bearing on the strength of "keywords" for a site. Google indexes the actual content of the site, and cross references this to links to and from other sites, and also to Google places and Google maps.
    This cross referencing builds the authenticity"of the site, and as such improves the position of the site in Google searches.
    Your domain name is simply eye candy, nothing more, and is an easy way for us humans to remember how to get to your website.
    I could get www.spamspamspam.com to rank in the top 10 for mowing in cairns if I was so inclined
    Do you have evidence from Google to back up that?

Simmo.

Show me an industry with a level playing field.
    They are just doing what they can and of course in it to profit.
    I am well aware of the practice having looked at many lucrative superannuation .com.au domain names in my prior working life and realising they are parked, for sale etc.

Domain names have no bearing on the strength of "keywords" for a site. Google indexes the actual content of the site, and cross references this to links to and from other sites, and also to Google places and Google maps.
    This cross referencing builds the authenticity"of the site, and as such improves the position of the site in Google searches.
    Your domain name is simply eye candy, nothing more, and is an easy way for us humans to remember how to get to your website.
    I could get www.spamspamspam.com to rank in the top 10 for mowing in cairns if I was so inclined
    Ok.. i will take the bait.

Here is an example of - Lawn Mowing

these are the search results -

1. www.expresslawnmowing.com.au/
    2. www.jimsmowing.net/lawn-mowing.html
    3. http://www.viphomeservices.com.au/.....mowing-service
    4. www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au/
    5. www.yellowpages.com.au › Home & Garden
    6. www.indmowing.com.au/
    7. www.lawnmow.com.au/
    8. http://www.jameshomeservices.com.au/...es/lawn-mowing
    9. www.themanwiththelawnmower.com.au/

You take what you want from those results... There is a reason why domains are fetching top dollar for strong keywords.

I know it isn't everything and content, links and other strategic methods are required to get noticed by google (and no one can confirm 100% what is the best combination or you will be an SEO billionaire!)... but in a competitive market it is the name that "usually" pulls the top 10.

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Show me an industry with a level playing field.
    They are just doing what they can and of course in it to profit.
    I am well aware of the practice having looked at many lucrative superannuation .com.au domain names in my prior working life and realising they are parked, for sale etc.
    your missing the point... ausregistry is the governing body to create a level playing field for .com.au domains... yet they allow them to take advantage. There are around 40 registered business that could do what they do, but they only do it for domain where people pay for a backorder (this is fair!)

I realise they are a business and are in business to profit... it would be like a franchise is able to quote every job just before you arrive... just to put it in perspective!

Luckily, Lawn mowing is a level playing field

Anyway... not trying to debate. They do what they do, i just don't agree

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post
    That is what they count on.

I do SEO for tourism companies for a living, its a part of my job. But if you wish to hear it from the horses mouth, Matt Cutts, a former software engineer who pioneered the search algorithms Google uses says:

"Finally Matt mentions that in the past Google has been giving a little too much weight to keyword domains and they have been thinking of adjusting the mix a little bit to even this out, so given two domains it would not necessarily help you out as much now as it did in the past with a domain that has a bunch of keywords in it""
    link : http://bloggingtactics.com/matt-cutt...main-name.html

That is what they count on.

I do SEO for tourism companies for a living, its a part of my job. But if you wish to hear it from the horses mouth, Matt Cutts, a former software engineer who pioneered the search algorithms Google uses says:

"Finally Matt mentions that in the past Google has been giving a little too much weight to keyword domains and they have been thinking of adjusting the mix a little bit to even this out, so given two domains it would not necessarily help you out as much now as it did in the past with a domain that has a bunch of keywords in it""
    link : http://bloggingtactics.com/matt-cutt...main-name.html
    So before it was crucial to have a keystrong domain... but now google is "thinking" about adjusting it (not 100% confirmed that they have in fact "slightly adjusted it").

If it doesn't help me out as much as a few years ago... that's fine... it will still help out as i mentioned in my previous post.

I understand your point... a good SEO site will outpull a "bad" strong keyword name for - lawn mowing cairns for example. but overall, most top 10 sites have strong domains and half decent SEO.

We both can't prove our points as we don't know how google algorithms work exactly... but i see enough paterns to justify a strong keyword domain, or weak domain names followed by ( /lawn-mowing-service) for example to know keywords within a domain name matter.

Simmo.

Mate if you just want to come on here making statements that you know best, and don't want to listen to what obviously-knowledgeable people have to say, why do you bother posting at all...... Seriously!

Paullo.

SEO will out gun a keyword laden domain name 100 times over. thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.
    Facebook, twitter, reddit, digg, whirlpool, isohunt, piratebay, google, redhotpie. None of those domains have anything to do with the content of the site.
    The reason most successful sites have a strong keyword laden domain name is because the business name is similar to the industry and content of the site, and therefore gets repeated and indexed.
    Cairns mowing for example, I have used a domain to match the industry, and referring to my business throughout the site also ladens the site with keywords, but having the domain name cairnsmowing.com does not influence the SEO ranking of the site.
    It could be called spamspamspam.com, but so long as I refer to cairns mowing and mowing in cairns constantly through the site, I will get well indexed. Similarly, also having google places set up correctly to reflect my business goes a lot further to good SEO than a keyword laden, and back links from other sites too are more important than domain name types.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post

Here is an example of - Lawn Mowing

these are the search results -

1. www.expresslawnmowing.com.au/
    2. www.jimsmowing.net/lawn-mowing.html
    3. http://www.viphomeservices.com.au/.....mowing-service
    4. www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au/
    5. www.yellowpages.com.au › Home & Garden
    6. www.indmowing.com.au/
    7. www.lawnmow.com.au/
    8. http://www.jameshomeservices.com.au/...es/lawn-mowing
    9. www.themanwiththelawnmower.com.au/

You take what you want from those results... There is a reason why domains are fetching top dollar for strong keywords.

I know it isn't everything and content, links and other strategic methods are required to get noticed by google (and no one can confirm 100% what is the best combination or you will be an SEO billionaire!)... but in a competitive market it is the name that "usually" pulls the top 10.

Simmo.
    I think a good example is google.com. How would you know it was a search engine. No keywords there
    I agree with Dooley. If he had a site name of hooleydooley.com and had his site structured right, he'd still do well.

Surely mowinglawns.com or .au would have to be a ripper wouldn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Mate if you just want to come on here making statements that you know best, and don't want to listen to what obviously-knowledgeable people have to say, why do you bother posting at all...... Seriously!

Paullo.
    Hey Paullo.. here is another one to your collection

I have agreed with Dooley... SEO is important, but a strong keyword domain is 100% beneficial to rank 1st.

Simmo.

SEO will out gun a keyword laden domain name 100 times over. thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.
    Facebook, twitter, reddit, digg, whirlpool, isohunt, piratebay, google, redhotpie. None of those domains have anything to do with the content of the site.
    The reason most successful sites have a strong keyword laden domain name is because the business name is similar to the industry and content of the site, and therefore gets repeated and indexed.
    Cairns mowing for example, I have used a domain to match the industry, and referring to my business throughout the site also ladens the site with keywords, but having the domain name cairnsmowing.com does not influence the SEO ranking of the site.
    It could be called spamspamspam.com, but so long as I refer to cairns mowing and mowing in cairns constantly through the site, I will get well indexed. Similarly, also having google places set up correctly to reflect my business goes a lot further to good SEO than a keyword laden, and back links from other sites too are more important than domain name types.
    I understand your point.

I just searched for - search engine and google came up 4th.

I searched - soft drink and Saxby's soft drinks ranks better than Coke and Pepsi.

Google doesn't need to rank good on a google search lol that would be bias!

As for coke and Pepsi... poor SEO efforts... or is it because they don't include the words - soft drink!!!

softdrinks.com.au didn't even come up due to poor content (as you rightfully state!) and they are basically an adwords site and google has penalised them severly!

Maybe soft drinks is a bad example as it isn't searched much in coke's eyes... actually, branding would allow coke, ebay, google to have any name and people will type in there branded name... i for one don't have a billion dollar marketing campaign to promote my business online and offline!

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by cadase View Post
    I think a good example is google.com. How would you know it was a search engine. No keywords there
    I agree with Dooley. If he had a site name of hooleydooley.com and had his site structured right, he'd still do well.
    You only know about google from there offline marketing campaigns... You don't go onto a search engine to search for a search engine and the same goes for facebook etc!

see my previous post why.

Would www.hooleydooley.com do as well as cairnsmowing if SEO was done identical to both sites? who would rank first and have the competitive edge for search - cairnsmowing? just as an example!

Simmo.

Thanks Simmo , you're doing a great job of validating my position

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast