Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: honda isssue

Default honda isssue

After a few weeks of using, My 196 mulch n catch decided to play up.
    The cord wouldnt budge at all when starting to pull it. After a a few minutes it did.
    After 6 pulls, The motor started, blows white smoke then dies.
    There is fuel pissing out the front muffler?????
    What the heck???
    Any ideas???
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Default Re: honda isssue

There's others threads on this somewhere. Clean your carby. You probably have a tiny bit of crap in it blocking the needle....You'l have to change the oil too!

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Junior Member Honda_Official_PR's Avatar

Thanks for helping out there fairdinkum. Imoww, did that help? If not, you might want to give your local Honda dealer a call?

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Honda - The Power of Dreams
    powerequipment.honda.com.au

Thanks guys.... havent had a chance to look at yet. Ill let you know how i go.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Use your warrenty................ as mr honda said

why waste your time when they can fix it for free
    Independent and i know it

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SM MOWING View Post
    Use your warrenty................ as mr honda said

why waste your time when they can fix it for free

Simmo.

i used to have this problem on my old ride on with a briggs motor, if you forgot to turn off the fuel tap, it would flood into the engine, diluting the oil with fuel, and youd have to change the oil (that machine got SO many oil changes, lol)

like the guys said, its a bit of grit in the carby or the needle not seating properly (allowing fuel to flow into the sump)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post

Simmo.

SM I don't think Honda would cover dirt in the carby under warranty (if that's the problem).

The problem with trying for a warranty claim is the down time. It's a 30 minute job max to fix yourself. To send it to an authorised honda repair place could see you without the machine for more than a day. I know of some bigger places that just add it to the queue behind all the broken down sanlis which could leave you waiting weeks. Another problem may be - can you claim warranty for using dirty fuel? It would be hard to prove dirt in the carby came from the manufacturing process. Then you would be slugged with the cost of labour (and parts if applicable.

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Ran out of warranty last year...

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    The problem with trying for a warranty claim is the down time. It's a 30 minute job max to fix yourself. To send it to an authorised honda repair place could see you without the machine for more than a day. I know of some bigger places that just add it to the queue behind all the broken down sanlis which could leave you waiting weeks. Another problem may be - can you claim warranty for using dirty fuel? It would be hard to prove dirt in the carby came from the manufacturing process. Then you would be slugged with the cost of labour (and parts if applicable.
    an advantage of being in a big city if a dealer did this to me it would be the last time that dealer got anything from me. Like most contractors i spend a lot more $ with the dealer than the average person so i expect priority service
    Pretty certain Dirt or grit in the carby wouldn't be covered under warranty unless it was on maybe the 1st or 2nd lawn
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Now it blows oil out of the exhaust.

Did you check/clean the carby?

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Give Greenie a call
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

The cord wouldnt budge at all when starting to pull it. After a a few minutes it did.
    After 6 pulls, The motor started, blows white smoke then dies

Now it blows oil out of the exhaust.

I have had these problems a few times with my Briggs 850.( 3 times in over 2 years and always before 1st job of the day) The engine runs perfectly any other time.

My theory is this; I travel up to 30km with the mower getting a rough ride in the trailer/trayback. The oil in the engine would be getting splashed about a fair bit, and the float in the carby could be bouncing letting in excess fuel. If the engine has one or both valves open, I think it's possible that some fuel or oil could make it's way into the combustion chamber and even into the muffler.
    When I unload and try to start, the engine can't go past compression stroke because liquid can't be compressed.

Rather than risk breaking the starter cord, I disconnect the spark plug and turn the cutter disc by hand (usually backwards). If it's excess fuel, it evaporates quickly when the valve opens, but oil takes a bit longer to disperse but still only a few revs of the engine. Once I can turn it past compression by hand, I connect the plug and start it with the starter cord,then stand back while the smoke clears.
    I try to remember to pull the engine to compression stroke before I load it to stop this happening, but it happens so rarely I never do it.

That's just my theory. Don't know for sure if it's possible.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast