Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prado v Terracan

Default Re: Prado v Terracan

I've never found Toyota to be any more reliable than the other Japanese ( or Korean ) brands. In fact in my experience owning a Landcruiser and Hiace- less reliable. They are bland, have less power than comparable models- take the Hilux for example, and are usually a few years behind other companies in terms of innovation, design and especially safety features. Well marketed for sure...

Oh and a 2005 Terracan has ABS, EBD and dual airbags

Nothing beats a yoda. Except maybe a nissan.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmates View Post
    Wouldn't even touch a Prado that old, No ABS, no EBD no airbags. Toyota, most overrated car company ever... period
    It has drivers and passenger air bags and ABS, but no Ebd it's not the standard model it's GXL Snowy
    Thanks for the reply's looks like a Prado is the go but might hunt a bit more for a Manual
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Good luck then! I still wouldn't touch it...

If you decide to go further afield (i.e. long desert trips), the Prado will be better as there are more parts more easily available in more remote locations. If you break something, there is a better chance that there will be someone else around who might be able to help you get going again. They're definitely more popular among the 4WDers than the other option.

Also, there is more technical info around if you want to mod or DIY anything.

HTH.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

I bought a 06 Terracan and its been great. Size and performance is very similar with the Prado but for the same money you will buy a 6 year younger Terracan. And they are really nice: seats, aircon, airbags, ABS etc etc.

They still make the Terracan, they just don't send it to Australia anymore.

The terracans have a very soft suspension.. make sure you like it before you buy one or get ready to drop 2k on new shockers.

I asked a lot of mechanics and they said the terracan was good mechanically but buy one with low KMs and move it one after a couple of years before it depreciates too much.. and its true, the early Terracans are worth nothing much. The Prado will hold value better.

Tom

Funny thing when I went to look at a Terracan advertised as full log book services, Then got there to find a few missing out of the book, His explanation was that it was serviced at a local servo that didn`t stamp it on those times. So I open the bonnet check the dip stick and it has barely a drop of oil on it with a cold engine..Walked away..
    Then go to a dealer look at a kia sorento 22,000 klms on it asked him for towing capacity he has no idea so goes to the glove box owners manual, and in the mean time I find it on google on my phone, Then he looks at me still with the book open and says OH it has only had one service at 3500klm`s and none since WTF...Well that balance of new car warranty is useless and I walked away...
    Have looked at 3 other cars advertised and told by the owners on the phone that log booked serviced up to date only to get there and look at the log book and reciepts to find a few missing or not stamped,They haven`t even washed it and just a reply of oh I don`t know much about cars ...
    Am I to fussy or do these people think I`ll just hand over the cash and drive away...

Simo, we bought a Kia sorento in Jan & so far have been very happy with it.
    We did our homework & it ticked more boxes than most, for us.
    Bought it for similar reasons to you, shopping trolley, caravan etc.
    If u consider one, i would suggest one before 2009. That's when they dropped the ladder chasis & low range.
    The tow rating also was downgraded to 2000kg from 2800kg.
    When the earlier models were intoduced, Kia were trying to get a foot in the door & represented great value for money.
    Their safety rating is up there with the best.
    They pack a punch with 400nm of torque (diesel) & very comfy to drive. Perhaps the susp a bit soft?
    If you're interested google Kia forum for more info.
    Cheers Fred.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Am I to fussy or do these people think I`ll just hand over the cash and drive away...
    Yes and Yes

Most people will buy a second hand car without checking the log books, check the oil or even drive the car... I've bought and sold dozens of second hand cars over the years (i even did it as a hobby in my 20's buying and selling mainly honda civics) and it makes me wonder what goes through some people's head when buying a car...

My theory is people usually buy when there emotions are running high, when emotions kick in... people's intellegence naturally drops as a result.

So when you get someone selling a car... if the seller gets emotional (usually being desperate to sell) basic commonsense won't kick in... When selling make sure logo books are filled in and readily available in the glovebox, car is fully detailed (clean), all fluids are filled (including wipers) always remain confident and proud of the car and you will usually get your asking price as the buyer should become emotionally attached.

I believe Simo, you are at the opposite end of the spectrum... your not getting emotionally attached,your checking the basics (which clearly aren't being performed), have a good idea of what yo want and what you are after...and walking as your not confident to purchase. They may call you a tire kicker... i would call you a wise man!

Good luck... i'm sure you will find one in top notch soon. Just remember not to let the seller know how hard it is to find a decent car when you find it (emotion may kick in)... I forget how many times i was told this ooops, there goes the negotiating table lol

Simmo.

Thanks simmo
    I`am ready to pounce on the right one and barter is my middle name..
    Just got to find that little old man that wants to down size or too old to drive..

Thanks for that info fred the one i test drove was a 09 model and there was confusion as to it`s tow rating, the dipstick dealer thought it was 1200 off the top of his head...
    The missus wants an x trail with 2000 kg tow rating and its her shopping trolley may have to compromise and walk down onto the beach with a soft roader, But 5 speed, v6, good ground clearance is stuck in my head ...

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Funny thing when I went to look at a Terracan advertised as full log book services, Then got there to find a few missing out of the book
    Have looked at 3 other cars advertised and told by the owners on the phone that log booked serviced up to date only to get there and look at the log book and reciepts to find a few missing or not stamped,They haven`t even washed it and just a reply of oh I don`t know much about cars ...
    I know what you are going through. Recently bought a little barina for my daughters first car. 90% of the ones looked at had not been serviced , what the hell, do people think they will be reliable like that.

In the end bought one with a few more Kim's but perfect log books.

One of you blokes have gotta change your name,, its just too hard Simo and Simmo
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

I wouldnt buy a terracan nor would i buy a 14 year old prado with 200k on the clock as a few more kays and you
    could be looking at major repairs an as well as a dump in depreciation

but from my last looking at hilux's of similar mileage the prado does sound quite cheap , any reasons ??

i would likely look at another 5-10 grand and find something with a lot less kays

Yes Im with you.
    Get a Ford...
    Hey no Found On Rubish Dump jokes ok
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast