Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Websites

Default Re: DIY Websites

try circlepad.com just drag and drop

Quote Originally Posted by Neil&family View Post
    Digital pacific are great and australian. Allways inform you on whats going on and very easy to get help when needed.
    I'll have to look into them. I must say that crazy have fixed up their cpanel a bit recently. But hostagator still has more functionality and I think from memory that their packages have unlimited everything compared to 25gb at crazy. I would love to use someone who has a non indian call centre.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    lol, ajd, maybe, mate, maybe.

and i think googles free one, you cant have your own address, its like www.google/something/something/happysmowing.com

imho, "professionalism" is over rated in our industry

what i think is that someone picks up the local paper, or your flyer, or googles you, then they just pick one, any one - lets face it, if they giove you a go and you stuff it up, its like a bad haircut - in 2 weeks no one will know or care, and theyll just get someone else the next time if you did a bad job - its not like we're building them a house theyll be stuck with forever. (yes, sure, you need a certain level of professionalism, but imo, some go too far.)

so for my needs, a basic website (as long as they can shoot an email from it) is all i need

i have an entry at true local (free listing) which is very basic, and i get a couple jobs a month from THAT.

the only thing i dont know about is the "SEO" part of websites - how to get your site higher in google searches etc.

perhaps the pros set all that up for you too, so maybe thats why they charge accordingly.

but if something is so cheap to TRY, hey its not that big a risk to take, and if it earns a couple jobs a year, it pays itself off.

i see this type of thing as a learning curve, you gotta start somewhere, even if in the end you pay someone a couple hundred to finish it off for you or do the "SEO" stuff.

but a few guys on here seem to know about SEO, so maybe thats all good too.

again, woodchip, thanks for sharing !!!

I think it is very important to look professional because lets face it we are talking about someones home and family. Most people not only want a good job but more importantly want someone they can trust, someone that takes pride in their work with competitive rates with their tools with their vehicle the way they speak the way they dress = professionalism.
    It is my aim to leave a job so the customer is happy because they will tell others..

As far as websites go it is my belief that you have a well sign written vehicle/trailer so when customers come across your website they will instantly link that website with the guy they have seen in their area and say "hey thats that AJD guy he does a good job I have seen him around lets give him a try"
    I know this is true because that's been my approach and it works
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

i dont agree with you totally ajd - surprised? lol

theres not looking like a beer money bob, then theres professional enough, then theres over the top - "ultra pro" as i like to call it.

between the professional and the ultra pro, i dont believe (well, in my residential experience, and not in the "rich peoples suburbs") theres any difference to how much work you can bring in or how much you can get paid - but theres a hell of a big cost difference between the two.

and again, where i mow, they dont care about all that hoity-toity stuff, they just want someone reliable who does a neat job cutting the grass - and if you do a bad job, they will just get someone else next time.

ive had tradies turn up to do work at my home in singlets and non workwear shorts with their builderscrack hanging out, and one electrician wore SANDALS, lol - did i care - NOPE. they turned up on time, they did a good job and i'd recommend them to someone else. If they turned up in a tux driving a limo would it have made any difference? (maybe as then id say to myself, he's over charging me to pay for his fancy stuff)

my opinion, if you look neat and tidy, do a decent job, are reliable and dont offend them, thats all they care about.,

trailer signage is often imo a waste of money if you spend up big. (but, hey, it keeps sign writing guys in business, so thats a good thing, right?)

same goes for flashy websites - imo - they just want to get a number off the internet for a mower guy - i dont reckon they care. (proof in the pudding the free directories like true local

but hey, im happy to accept your opinion differs from mine, mate !!

Crazydomains are OK for a site where there isnt a requirement for high up-times. Lets be honest, if your lawnmowing site goes down for a few hours every six months, that's worth the $56 Crazydomains charge.
    Wordpress is good to use, there are heaps of free themes,and lots of cheap pre made themes, an hour or two on google will give you a good insight.

Woodchip, your site looks great. Nice and simple, easy to navigate, nice colours

I use crazydomains, for $126 for 3 years hosting is good value, and I have never had a problem with them

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i dont agree with you totally ajd - surprised? lol

theres not looking like a beer money bob, then theres professional enough, then theres over the top - "ultra pro" as i like to call it.

between the professional and the ultra pro, i dont believe (well, in my residential experience, and not in the "rich peoples suburbs") theres any difference to how much work you can bring in or how much you can get paid - but theres a hell of a big cost difference between the two.

and again, where i mow, they dont care about all that hoity-toity stuff, they just want someone reliable who does a neat job cutting the grass - and if you do a bad job, they will just get someone else next time.

ive had tradies turn up to do work at my home in singlets and non workwear shorts with their builderscrack hanging out, and one electrician wore SANDALS, lol - did i care - NOPE. they turned up on time, they did a good job and i'd recommend them to someone else. If they turned up in a tux driving a limo would it have made any difference? (maybe as then id say to myself, he's over charging me to pay for his fancy stuff)

my opinion, if you look neat and tidy, do a decent job, are reliable and dont offend them, thats all they care about.,

trailer signage is often imo a waste of money if you spend up big. (but, hey, it keeps sign writing guys in business, so thats a good thing, right?)

same goes for flashy websites - imo - they just want to get a number off the internet for a mower guy - i dont reckon they care. (proof in the pudding the free directories like true local

but hey, Im happy to accept your opinion differs from mine, mate !!
    Lol not surprised we disagree Happy
    I'm just stating the facts from results on how people found me as I keep all that data so that isn't an opinion they are facts. I am glad you mentioned True local as sites like that and this one boost your ranking with Google.

Just out of curiosity given that my take on professionalism is
    is someone that takes pride in their work with competitive rates with their tools with their vehicle the way they speak the way they dress = professionalism.
    It is my aim to leave a job so the customer is happy because they will tell others..
    How would you rate me on your scale? you said you don't agree so my view must be greater than yours, am I "over the top? or Ultra Pro?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Gday,
    I have spent the day (between doing house chores & while the family were away for the day), looking into SEO.
    You can pretty much find anything you need to know from youtube, here are a few things I have discovered,
    I downloaded a SEO plugin(for wordpress) & watched a few utube vids to set it up
    & downloaded another plugin that makes a google xml sitemap that is sent off to the google search engines (everything is Google, they have an almost exclusive monopoly, thats what I found anyway!)
    Got google analylitics on the site
    Got google Webmaster Tools
    Got google Places

all these things are linked,
    it was a bit of fiddling around adding various bits of code into the main site code, but nothing that isnt explained & shown on utube.
    Will see how I rank on google search in a week or so??
    Here is a good utube channel for the little back-end things that are good to know: http://www.youtube.com/user/expand2web?feature=watch

Good to hear some encourging remarks about crazy's, we had a problem with digitalpacific last year with a web forum I was a member of, they dont do any web development (just do hosting) so they arent interested in any problems on that side of it they just wanted to bump us up to a dedicated server costing over $100p.m...., got rid of them.

cheers
    woody
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

woody, what seo plugin have you used, and any chance of a link to the vid you watched on it?

cheers !!!

Happy, I used the "All in One" SEO plugin, which is pretty easy to use, the other good one by "yoast" sounds good if not better. I watched so many videos on it, so cant remember which one, its hard to find one that you like watching and are easy to understand, I just searched & found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhrb3bZC7w

I have had a few problems with conflicting plugins on wordpress, & have had to go in & disable them a few times via Cpanel, luckily theres videos on how to do that too, on youtube

cheers

Yes!!, got to the top seaching "lawn mowing bonny hills" on google,

Could someone do me a favour & try the same search?, dont know if my computer is just caching my searches??

cheers
    woody

ps, still havent finished my site yet, but getting there. Did have a bit of trouble with the background....doesnt work right when viewed on some mobile phones, just changed some of the font & will have to live with it I think.

Very Helpful Member

Bonny Hills Lawn+Mowing in Bonny Hills, NSW - Local Directories
    http://www.localdirectories.com.au/B...ng/list‎
    The best Local business listings for Lawn+Mowing in Bonny Hills, NSW.
    Looking for the best Gardeners in Bonny Hills NSW? - Oneflare
    www.oneflare.com.au › Gardening › Gardener › NSW‎
    Here is a list of Bonny Hills' best Gardeners as rated by other ...
    Yellow Pages® | Lawn Mowers--Retail & Repairs in Bonny Hills ...
    http://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/l...onny-hills-nsw
    Find Lawn Mowers--Retail & Repairs in bonny hills nsw in Yellow Pages®
    13 Hungerford Pl
    Bonny Hills
    0488 140 865
    Camden Haven Lawn Mowing
    plus.google.com
    Google+ page
    24 Explorers Way
    Lake Cathie
    (02) 6584 8777
    Hastings Mow Pro
    plus.google.com
    Google+ page
    175 Gordon St
    Port Macquarie
    (02) 6583 6655
    Rock Motorcycles
    www.rockmotorcycles.com.au/
    1 Google review
    Lawn Mowing Bonny Hills NSW - Home Improvement Pages
    www.homeimprovementpages.com.au › ... › NSW › North Coast‎
    Results 1 - 10 of 507 – Lawn Mowing Bonny Hills NSW - view profiles of local Lawn Mowing Businesses on Australia's most visited home improvement website.
    Garden Maintenance & Lawn Mowing in Bonny Hills, NSW | V.I.P. ...
    http://www.viphomeservices.com.au/se...-hills/‎
    Hi, I'm Colin Seddon, your local Garden Maintenance & Lawn Mowing franchisee in Bonny Hills.
    Lawn mowing Bonny Hills in Camden Haven NSW -
    http://www.bluewatermaintenance.com....mowing/‎
    Lawn mowing Ph: 0416 254 255 by Bluewater Property Maintenance Bonny Hills NSW.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

I am in the process of doing my website...

Spent the day today learning how to do a WP site and i think i'm already 50% done. I've laced all the headings, images etc and now i've only got to do all the content for all the pages now and install the logo (oh, i almost forgot the INDY logo also!).

The WP theme is awesome for mobiles... basically, you see my business name and button to call! and then all the other useless "crap" is below.

Anyone got any good idea's what i can say on the site for PC users who will read from top to bottom? lol

Simmo.

ahhh, its funny, i spent ages crafting a funny response to that, but then i thought "dont wanta make anyone cry" so i deleted it.

i'll pm it to ya simmo, youll get a laugh im sure, lol

cheers all

Last edited by happymowin; 09-05-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: being nice

Anybody still using this free site builder? Can you build a site and then get someone to do the SEO side of things?

Or what sort of money is involved in getting a professional site built these days if its just a small 1 or 2 page site, I only mow and do not offer any other services like gardening or pressure cleaning etc anymore. I mow or I will go fishing these days.

Thanks John.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12