Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connecting 25mm poly to a tap. help.

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

Default connecting 25mm poly to a tap. help.

wanting to use 25mm poly to irrigate 45m worth of drip line on raised veg beds and dripline to a 30-40m fence bed. i want to connect the 25mm poly to a single or double tap timer. i usually use 13 and 19mm, so unfamililiar with 25mm tap connections. ive searched the interwebs and cant find a simple 25mm snap on connector. surely someone makes them. does anyone know?
    i know i can get tap connectors that screw on in 25mm. but im wanting 2 seperate lines to run from this tap and i dont want them to have to stuff around screwing and unscrewing connections. the most im hoping they have to do is turn the timer dial and maybe switch click on connector to the two lines. im all about user friendly, so that they actually use it. if its too hard some people just wont bother. also because its vegies, i want it to be manual, not automated.
    heeeelp.
    rae.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: connecting 25mm poly to a tap. help.

Use a 25mm to 19mm reducer & 19mm snap on connector.

Very Helpful Member

dual tap fitting with screw on ends something like this and fit to timer then both can be screwed in and only a flick of a switch to choose which one or both http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...roducts&page=2
    or simpler still
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...bType=products
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...roducts&page=3
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

here is the jist of it. was supposed to measuring today but have cancelled due to rain. so just estimates.
    hope none of you irrigation experts are colourblind.
    irrigation 009.jpg

Very Helpful Member

Also if you want an outlet available for them to use you could try attaching the time to on side of my 1st suggestion this will then leave them an outlet they can attach a normal fitting to
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Use a 25mm to 19mm reducer & 19mm snap on connector.
    if they dont make 25mm snap ons, 19mm plus reducer is prob the only way for ease of use.

+cheers ian, def going pope tap timers. i just like em.

Very Helpful Member

I'm confused you ask if anyone is colour blind then put up a monochrome drawing

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    dual tap fitting with screw on ends something like this and fit to timer then both can be screwed in and only a flick of a switch to choose which one or both http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...roducts&page=2
    The Holman muti tap adapter is really good. I used one to set up a two way recently for a older lady with arthritis. They are really smooth and easy to turn on and off. I then set up a this Automated Tap timer to one side of the adapter http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...roducts&page=2.

Made it easier for the tenant and owner.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

GN, Just an observation...I would put the shut-off valves on the orange line(off the main red line) to the vege beds, so irrigation could be controlled for each bed if desired, rather than always watering the lowers beds if you want to water the upper bed only.
    Ive never done irrigation before, so I cant help, but that jumped out at me.

cheers
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
    GN, Just an observation...I would put the shut-off valves on the orange line(off the main red line) to the vege beds, so irrigation could be controlled for each bed if desired, rather than always watering the lowers beds if you want to water the upper bed only.
    Ive never done irrigation before, so I cant help, but that jumped out at me.

cheers
    bloody brilliant idea, woodchip. will do that. cheers.
    as for the holman adapter, i gotta check the height of the tap to make sure i can fit it and the timer on. takes me 35 mins to drive there and $20 in petrol. friggin hate my rodeo.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

One thing I do now is remove the tap & put a brass Tee and attach a second tap. Basically one tap for the timer & the other for general use. Those Y manifolds can get difficult to use and tend to leak later on.

Rae, dont forget to install backflow prevention.
    With drip in line it really is essential.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    One thing I do now is remove the tap & put a brass Tee and attach a second tap. Basically one tap for the timer & the other for general use. Those Y manifolds can get difficult to use and tend to leak later on.
    This will make life much easier than mucking around clicking and unclicking. Will cost about $25 in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Rae, dont forget to install backflow prevention.
    With drip in line it really is essential.
    Cheers Fred.
    Spot on. Put a brass tee, brass ball valve and then a 20mm dual check valve, then you can run your timer and poly after the dual check valve. Depending on the distance, you could also run it in 25mm blue line poly and put the isolation valves in valve boxes in the ground. This means you could install a tap (just a ball valve with a 25m nipple which allows you to put your hose fittings on) right next to the vege patch for watering in after planting or fertilising etc. It wouldnt cost that much to do it this way. Just buy Philmac Pushfit fittings so all you have to do is push the fitting into the blueline and don't need any tools. It will never come off. I may be getting a bit carried away but just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    This will make life much easier than mucking around clicking and unclicking. Will cost about $25 in parts.

Spot on. Put a brass tee, brass ball valve and then a 20mm dual check valve, then you can run your timer and poly after the dual check valve. Depending on the distance, you could also run it in 25mm blue line poly and put the isolation valves in valve boxes in the ground. This means you could install a tap (just a ball valve with a 25m nipple which allows you to put your hose fittings on) right next to the vege patch for watering in after planting or fertilising etc. It wouldnt cost that much to do it this way. Just buy Philmac Pushfit fittings so all you have to do is push the fitting into the blueline and don't need any tools. It will never come off. I may be getting a bit carried away but just throwing it out there.
    do you have a name for this "tap"?
    ill have to re-think the plan. my brain hurts though. willstart again tomoz.
    geez, i thought i knew a bit having done install irrigation and troubleshoot irrigation through tafe, and my field experience, but really i hardly have the basics down. id like to do a proper, well-run irrigation course, online if possible.
    thanks so much for your help guys, dont know what id do without this forum sometimes.

Very Helpful Member

25-19mm tee then a piece of 19mm poly with 19mm tap http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...roducts&page=3 then another 19mm poly and http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...oducts&page=15then they can just connect a garden hose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast