Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do in Autumn?

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: What do you do in Autumn?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Here in Canberra I spend autumn picking up leaves.

My $250 second hand billy goat pays for itself a couple of times each day
    Gee he must eat fast do you bag and sell the droppings as well?
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Gee he must eat fast do you bag and sell the droppings as well?

Yeh the public servants in Canberra will buy anything

Hey Tom just a bit of info about Flyers. Its true you can make your own with a printer but you have to weigh up the time it takes to make them and bundle them together.
    There are companies out there online that do them so cheaply you wouldn't bother making them yourself. You will end up with a more professional look and save time that equates to money. It is true that marketing your flyers you need to change them around to suit the different services you offer this also takes time as you will be going over the same customer several times to give your message out. There is another way,, During my time with VIP I learnt from them a trick that works well, I know because I have the runs on the board to prove it. Say your main service is Lawn Mowing but you also do Gardening, hedging, gutter cleaning etc what you do is you have your main service in big letters under your business name LAWN MOWING then with your other services you have postage stamp photos of someone doing a garden job someone doing gutter cleaning etc By doing this the flyer will not be crammed with words.
    A picture tells a thousand words!!
    You will get your entire message out in one drop saving you heaps of time and money.
    Another trick I learnt is if you have a sign on your vehicle/trailer try match the flyers to it so when people see you in your area they make a link in their mind with the flyer and you.
    This is what I have learnt and it works well..

Cheers
    Dean
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Thanks everyone, its all a help.

What works best, business cards or leaflets in letterbox drops?

Is putting out a sandwich board on the nature strip a worthwhile thing to do?

Tom

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Flyers work better than a business card.

But it depends what info you put on your flyer and your business card. Business cards usually don't work as a effective form of advertising... there is no call to action, no urgency, not much room for a compelling offer... they are good for branding your business name though and giving to your friends and family

Hey, i sell business cards... so i better shut up lol but you can get business cards that do get results, but flyers will always out perform them with the right message.

I'll give you my suggestion Tom.

From memory, I have already given you the layout via PM an example flyer that i recommend that you should "try". Focus only on mowing only!

Hand out 500 flyers a day (around 2 -3 hours walking) over the next 30 days... and measure the results.

It is a numbers game... you would have handed out 15,000 flyers!!!

That's right... 15,000 flyers.

Now, i think you should get at least 1 in 100 response if it is very targetted and specific advertisement. If you get 1 in 100 response, that will be 150 clients (not including referals etc along the way).

If you are desperate and it's a matter of business life or death... I would target clean up's jobs (have a seperate flyer for them), put adds on gumtree and contact all the places and people of influence in your local area.

Can you clarify your target market Tom, and what is your ideal client?

Simmo.
    New website coming soon...

www.mowinglawns.com.au

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Forgot to add... i also sell flyers, but i still use office works to print A4 flyer and cut in half so i have 2 a A5 flyers.... they work out to be around 2c each!

My Black and white flyers produce better results than my full colour flyers advertisement. (YMMV - just giving my honest feedback)

My suggestion will be $300 for 15,000 flyers... you can buy 2,500 flyers to trial it for a week... total cost will be $50!

All i needed was 1,500 flyers when starting out (around $30 in printing cost!!!) ... and under 10 hours distributing them.

Established my run!

When you get momentium... things start to happen. Step out of your comfort zone and take responsibility and take action and you will get results.

It's your call... I've offered you the best bang for buck campaign that i know. I've done it multiple times now in different areas for mowing and different businesses also (hair dresser, accountant, mechanic, florist, personal trainer, beauty salon, plumber, real estate, doctor surgery, optometrist, jewellery store, kwik kerb, block buster video, pizza shop and dozens more).

So to the question... what do you do in Autumn.... Do what you always should be doing... Advertising and promoting your business! create momentium!!!!

Good luck.

Simmo.
    New website coming soon...

www.mowinglawns.com.au

Def print at home,

I can get each flyer at 2-4c each (that's reflex white paper and ink) - These are 1/3 page flyers and that's in colour to! - use good quality paper not the cheap stuff, reflex is great

once you've made up the flyer your good to go, I usually sit down with a drink and watch my favourite show and just run off a thousand, ctl-p then check the print every so often.

Vista is way to expensive their like 50c-$1 each! and its not about if its glossy or not its about the content, it just has to look good and have a compelling offer. We are lawnies not Telstra (thank god), even the jims flyers are very basic, simply a compelling offer ($5 discount) printed in green ink on a $5 note size piece of paper!

KIS- Keep it simple
    Independent and i know it

It Depends on what areas you're advertising in too. Flyers work wonders in certain areas and some dont. Just reading the forum from what works and not from different people.
    Advertising in the form of Internet, Yellow pages, Flyers, Signage on your trailer, Business cards, Magnets. All depends on your target market too.
    Im already booking clients in for Garden rejuvenation's plus the mowing jobs which go monthly (during winter)
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post
    Flyers work better than a business card.

But it depends what info you put on your flyer and your business card. Business cards usually don't work as a effective form of advertising... there is no call to action, no urgency, not much room for a compelling offer... they are good for branding your business name though and giving to your friends and family

Hey, i sell business cards... so i better shut up lol but you can get business cards that do get results, but flyers will always out perform them with the right message.

I'll give you my suggestion Tom.

From memory, I have already given you the layout via PM an example flyer that i recommend that you should "try". Focus only on mowing only!

Hand out 500 flyers a day (around 2 -3 hours walking) over the next 30 days... and measure the results.

It is a numbers game... you would have handed out 15,000 flyers!!!

That's right... 15,000 flyers.

Now, i think you should get at least 1 in 100 response if it is very targetted and specific advertisement. If you get 1 in 100 response, that will be 150 clients (not including referals etc along the way).

If you are desperate and it's a matter of business life or death... I would target clean up's jobs (have a seperate flyer for them), put adds on gumtree and contact all the places and people of influence in your local area.

Can you clarify your target market Tom, and what is your ideal client?

Simmo.
    I had a postie bike and could put flyers out way quicker than someone walking, It would take me 3 hours to put out 500 on the bike you would have to be a marathon runner to put 500 out in 2 hours walking unless you had a street full of blocks of units..

I got a strike rate of 1% in the peak of summer. I definitely would not target mowing from now until September you wont get much unless you live in a hot climate.

You can also do a letter of interest via email to local businesses, real estates, body corporates etc but make sure you have your insurances in place before and send a copy of your PL certificate of currency with the letter.
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

AA good idea for flyers is to put a before and after pic. Then a free quote for your front lawns. Then a empty line for a price you write on it. and i will be in your area next.....
    Thats the only type of flyer i actually got any responses from.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I could put together some indy pricing for flyers if anyones interested or its allowed. We also own a print manufacturing plant and supply to a few franchise operations.

This time of the year in our area is probably the most profitable time of the year ...The lawns are so easy to mow/mulch hence plenty of time available to do the upsell work...I mainly target existing clients with rose pruning, garden rejuvenations....The last couple of weeks have been record turn over days with clients spending up big time on new plantings and gardens.....spending some time with the client after mowing the lawn can benefit in some great work...i see too many contractors cutting and run and leaving the customer think they only mow lawns...in the past 3 weeks I have snagged mega garden makeovers from new clients because they thought their mower man only cut lawns and nothing else.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    This time of the year in our area is probably the most profitable time of the year ...The lawns are so easy to mow/mulch hence plenty of time available to do the upsell work...I mainly target existing clients with rose pruning, garden rejuvenations....The last couple of weeks have been record turn over days with clients spending up big time on new plantings and gardens.....spending some time with the client after mowing the lawn can benefit in some great work...i see too many contractors cutting and run and leaving the customer think they only mow lawns...in the past 3 weeks I have snagged mega garden makeovers from new clients because they thought their mower man only cut lawns and nothing else.
    Have to agree Geoff. I took your advice after our last conversation and I have been flat out since. Actually have work backing up.
    cheers mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12