Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Rover ride on, is this a fair price?

Default Rover ride on, is this a fair price?

I just looked at 2 rover ride on's, (lady sold acerage)...1st, Rover raider 14/38, 14months old, had a ride on it it seems ok, no oil leaks or smoke etc, 2nd is a Rover raider 13.5 hp smaller cut i think 32'', about 4 years old, runs ok, both been serviced by local shop, also a small tow along trailer for the bigger ride on, they look and go ok. $2400 for the lot!
    Bit of a big move for me but they seem like a good buy. Opinion's PLEASE, I paid a $20 buck holding dep and said i'll take the lot. Am i paying too much?.......i wont try for less but i know i can back out, just don't want to muck around with folks.

Default Re: Rover ride on, is this a fair price?

I am sure they were both under 3k new each, most likely even 2.5 k..so you could get a brand new one if you shop around and it will have warrenty..Rover riders are not much good for catching..but fine if you want side chute or mulch..and the cheapest ones are not for every day comercial use (iam guessing you knew that any how)
    Not a bad price but I would say also not a bargin..
    I`ve had two in the past for occational use bought both second hand they were about 10 yrs old for around $800 each and after 2yrs use on both I got around $500 back before they fell apart
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    I am sure they were both under 3k new each, most likely even 2.5 k..so you could get a brand new one if you shop around and it will have warrenty..Rover riders are not much good for catching..but fine if you want side chute or mulch..and the cheapest ones are not for every day comercial use (iam guessing you knew that any how)
    I`ve had two in the past for occational use bought both second hand they were about 10 yrs old for around $800 each and after 2yrs use on both I got around $500 back before they fell apart
    ........yep, i backed out,

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Hi Simo, can you recommend a brand that is ok for catching in a 38 or 42" size?

cox, if you can afford it http://coxmowers.rtrk.com.au/?scid=1...id=12385075757 unless you go ztr

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

i bought a new cox rear catcher, (yes ian, i know, lol)

it was cr@p - the chute clogged up worse than a honda sp !! REALLY !!!

i was off the thing clearing the chute more often than i was mowing - it couldnt even handle 2 week growth in summer unless it was a dirt patch - the slightest bit of moisture from rain or even dew clogged it up !!! if it was long - fargeddaboudit

the danger of them is that you have to turn off the engine to clear the chute, as when you disengage the blades, it just loosens the belt, so if you stick your hand in there, and a stick or something is about to go in the belt/pulley, youll lose your hand. imagine turning off and restarting the engine so many times, pita !!

mine actually started slipping too, (from new!!!) and the blades would sometimes re engage slightly on their own !!!

sold it for a loss when it had about 12 hours on it i think it was.

not worth it.

the cox SD 's (non catching) ARE good, i had one of them years ago - i even had the side catcher for it, and it worked ok, sold the catcher near new and the rusted out hulk of the mower to another lawnie who had one on his truck for beer money.

side discharge good, rear discharge BAD !!

benefit of the cox's is the bulletproof drive system "cone drive" - have recommended them to a couple people, one of my neighbours bought one, seems happy.

cheers