Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Vibration Gloves

Default Anti-Vibration Gloves

Just thought I'd do a quick review of a few pair of anti-vibration gloves that I have owned for over 12 months.
    In my opinion AV gloves are as important as ear muffs & eye protection, & I would encourage all users of lawnmowers, whippys, chainsaws etc to wear these gloves whenever using these & any other engine equipment that vibrates. The vibration of equipment is made worse by using poor quality gear &/or blunt chains on chainsaws or very old equipment (ie worn out) or damaged gear (ie bent brushcutter shafts etc).
    I started mowing lawns as work before leaving school, used a lot of crappy & not-sharp equipment in that time, & now gets pins & needles whenever using any machinery. I have been able to manage the condition by using AV gloves religiously.

AVgloves.jpg

From left to right,
    From Bunnings... Safety Zone ,Pro Flex Gel impact abt $18....gel pads in palms only, poor quality gel pads, good wrist support (which helps a lot!), a sturdy pair of gloves that have also just been used as general gardening gloves. Summary better than nothing but wouldn't buy again.

Again from Bunnings....Iron Clad, Gel vibration impact abt $40, better quality gel pads, no wrist support, softer leather, wore these a lot when I first got them but now feel they don't offer any anti-vibe at all! Only wear them if I cant find the Tillmans in the tool box. summary again better than nothing but only just! Better gloves around for the money.

Tillman 1489L True-Fit anti-vibration abt $40-45 from memory, Quite a few of us on this forum bought these, I was worried at first as they were a bit small & were a bit of a nuisance to put on, however I have found these to be a good quality glove, well-made, I think the AV is padding rather than gel??, AV on the palm & all fingers & thumb, very good wrist support, hands don't sweat as much as I thought they would. summary...not perfect but a good quality glove , i'll buy them again.

I nearly always now remove the AV gloves when finished operating the machinery & put on general gardening gloves if doing any manual hand work this has saved the av gloves from a lot of wear, its a bit of pita doing the glove swap routine but I feel its all part of the job.
    Has anyone else found a good pair of AV gloves?, im still looking for the perfect AV Glove.

cheers
    woody
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

Default Re: Anti-Vibration Gloves

Thanks for posting about this Woody. Although I've seen some info and heard positive reviews about the use of AV gloves, I've never really thought about using them myself. Think it will be time to 'take a hold of the situation' and go out and buy a pair. Where did you get your Tillmans from?

Decade 'Summerweight' gloves are what I'm still persisting with until I can find something better/more comfortable. Because of the full gel palms and fingers they're very bulky and equipment is harder to grip putting more strain on arm-muscles than needed.

http://www.otbproducts.com.au/store/...roducts_id=303

I bought the Tillman gloves myself, just to try. I thought they were ok at first but felt the numbness coming back into my hand, so went back to the Decade drivers glove. I still have the Tillmans as back up. Better than nothing!
    For me, the gel padding in the Decade is far better but do loose strength and dexterity in fingers. ie Throttle control etc. Always on the hunt for better!

On edit, If I could by a single Decade "Summer weight" glove, I would be using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I bought the Tillman gloves myself, just to try. I thought they were ok at first but felt the numbness coming back into my hand, so went back to the Decade drivers glove. I still have the Tillmans as back up. Better than nothing!
    For me, the gel padding in the Decade is far better but do loose strength and dexterity in fingers. ie Throttle control etc. Always on the hunt for better!

On edit, If I could by a single Decade "Summer weight" glove, I would be using them.
    I have Decade, Tillman and one other fingerless type which are probably in between Tillman and Decade. I wear from a single one only to a combination of them depending what equipment I am using and how long it is being continually used for. Seems to work for me

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I have Decade, Tillman and one other fingerless type which are probably in between Tillman and Decade. I wear from a single one only to a combination of them depending what equipment I am using and how long it is being continually used for. Seems to work for me
    Are you using the Summer weight or the Drivers? My issues are in my left hand (fingers really) which holds the loop on the trimmer.

I can't remember the brand but I have a pair of gun shooter gloves with anti vibe right down the fingers, mainly use them when there's hours of pole hedging. I went the full fingered version cause I figure most of what touches the machinery is the fingers not the palm of your hand. Happy with mine, will suss out brand etc

Do you have a link to them Andy?

Are you using the Summer weight or the Drivers? My issues are in my left hand (fingers really) which holds the loop on the trimmer.
    Summer weight. .

Do you have a link to them Andy?
    I went out in the rain to check, crikey the things I do for fellow Indy's

And Doh they are Guardsman not sure where the heck I got gun shooter from... was drunk again.

http://www.ppeonline.com.au/proddeta...ard-Gel-GMS146

Sorry here's all the sizes:

http://www.ppeonline.com.au/products.php?cat=116

Late note: it may pay to source them from a safety shop cause fit is going to be important the ones I've got say gms146 which is apparently x-large but pretty sure they are not x-large as I'm a little bigger than last years melbourne cup rider...

Thanks Andy, what a guy going out in the rain an all!
    I'd like to try them on thats for sure to get the fit right. I'll keep an eye out for them.

In autumn i bought a decade premium with the wrist support from otb, mentioned this forum and got small %off, $40 or 50 odd with postage mailed the next day, top service, would highly recomend. I needed something as ive spent long hours on trimmer in single digit temperatures for a previous emplyer with no protection when i was younger and could feel it coming back. Now with my own business i thought i had better look after myself if i want to do this still in ten years.

Its quite a large profile glove with full finger foam padding not gel, do notice its harder to grip trimmer loop handle as it feels fatter but def notice a reduction in tingling as im driving home at end of long day. One annoying thing is need to take it off if i want to use that hand to put muffs on, restring or get something out of pocket, then put glove back on and continue. Also will be quite hot in summer, it has vent holes in back of hand but im sweating in winter with it on. Got wrist support cuff as i have pin in wrist from earlier injury, its a wide strap that wraps your wrist tight and keeps glove on. Just need to get into a habit of always wearing it but i think its a good move. So far so good.

Same company also sells slimline cool vests to be worn under a work shirt, similar to what you see sport guys wear after games. Keeps your core cool all day. Will seriously think about this come summer

Wright Stander 36 ztr
    Rover Procut 560
    Makita trimmer

I purchased some off ebay with a 2mm gel but still get a tingle.I think the 4mm would be better.

Only get a problem with the line trimmer but a lot of it has got to do with poorly balanced head and continues use when i do 7-8 units in a row

You should all be having a closer look at your head

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You should all be having a closer look at your head
    as it stands it breaks mirrors and scares children so I am hesitant to look any closer than I have to ...oh, you mean line trimmer head, my bad
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast