Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window cleaning

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Window cleaning

I have a customer that has asked me if I would clean her windows inside and out. Figure this time of year why not?

Problem is ....I've never done it before.

I know a few people on here have done it before.

What in others opinion is the best way to do it?

Will very much appreciate any tips I can get.

Default Re: Window cleaning

Will be interested in this as well,have been giving this some thought as a new service but not overly keen on the inside part.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I have a customer that has asked me if I would clean her windows inside and out. Figure this time of year why not?

Problem is ....I've never done it before.

I know a few people on here have done it before.

What in others opinion is the best way to do it?

Will very much appreciate any tips I can get.
    Get some proper gear and practice at home 1st I still have some reasonable stuff but thrown in some corners of the garage and elsewhere.
    I wonder what the " rubbers" from the squeegees are like? As you should know if you don't have good rubbers you can have a lot of problems
    Give me a buzz if you want me to try find what I have left somewhere

Yes inside can be a PITA, knocking things over can the the most painfull - to your pocket. Just remember all the things that need to be moved.
    If you want I will give my mate a buzz for what he charges now. And yes he would do it 3 times quicker than a newbie!!!

i have been doing it for a while now, good equipment makes all the difference. i have been dealing with total suply solutions in QLD for some time for all my gear and they have always looked after me with price and delivery speed. http://www.totalsupplysolutions.com....ng-starter-kit ...thats the kit i started with and its paid itself off more times than i could count, though they do have cheaper kits or you could always just buy parts. i cant stress enough not to waste your time with cheap junk ...unless its a one off only job. best tips i can offer, keep at least 2 rags on you and carry spares ...one for window sills and frames and the other for drying the squeegee after every stroke. make sure you dont chip the squeegee rubber or its all over and replacement rubbers can be expensive. You can use all the fancy window cleaning detergents in the world, morning fresh is as good as any of them. just time and practice will help you perfect the technique and speed. any questions from anyone feel free to pm me and ill see if i can help out.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I used to do it full time.
    We used the proper equipment.
    You need.
    A long sponge (basically looks like a paint roller but fuzzy)
    A squeegie
    Bucket
    Rags
    Hot water mixed with Metho and one drop of dishwashing liquid.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I used to do it full time.
    We used the proper equipment.
    You need.
    A long sponge (basically looks like a paint roller but fuzzy)
    A squeegie
    Bucket
    Rags
    Hot water mixed with Metho and one drop of dishwashing liquid.
    I think this will only be a one off so not going to spend big on equipment.

I think the good squeegee and sponge would be a good idea though, might actually do my own windows for once. Will make for good practice as John said.

How much metho/ hot water mix?

FOr 4 litres of water add 2 cups metho. and a teaspoon of liquid soap
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

The liquid soap washes the dirt and the metho clears the streaks.

I used to use that too, used to add a drop of glycerine from memory

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thanks everyone for this post, It has given me some ideas on what else to to offer over winter. I already have a 6mt Water Fed Extension pole given to me by a mates neighbor, might have to get another one as well I think. And the accessories to do the job.

Thanks Mow and Go for the Total Supply Solutions site, I will be ordering from them shortly.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Watched a few vids on you tube, the guys who do this for a living make it look easy. I'm actually thinking with some time and practice and the right tools of the trade it could be a good add on service but will make that judgement after I've tried it.

Could I ask how you guys that are doing windows or have done windows how you price it, hourly rate, per window, set price etc?

Don`t add too much metho as it can smear paint from the frames on the window happend to me once was a nightmare
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

When we moved out of a rental once, we had a fella clean all windows inside & out, wash all flyscreens, clean out all window & door tracks on a 2 storey house took him 4-5hrs for $150, the place was empty so he had a clear run on the inside, tough gig I reckon mucking around with the flyscreens would be the hardest part, I replace a lot of flyscreen mesh, getting some of the old frames back in is a pita, still a good add-on service for winter.
    cheers
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

For technique - check out many videos hosted on YouTube. There are some very talented people out there.
    My favorite is the guy doing a shopping strip, two windows at a time, wash one while squeegie another.... amazing
    Speed is not important at all - it comes with experience.
    It is always better to do it right once than have to go back for the mess left you dont notice until you do the other side.
    I recommend you remove and brush all screens first, then wash outside first (where most dirt usually is).
    Always consider obstacles in quoting - outside rose bushes, pole-work? Inside - blinds, entertainment units, beds and beside tables, whether fly-wire screens are on the inside of window (wind out windows). Whether the screens come out from the outside (easier) or inside - can be a nightmare.
    You should use an old banister brush to brush the dust off the screens rather than wash.
    I prefer a window cleaner's detergent Amodet (a neutral, ammoniated detergent), otherwise morning fresh (plain, not lemon) works a treat. Forget Metho.
    A number of lint-free cloths are most useful to wipe the sides and bottom.
    I recommend you also place a towel at base of inside windows. Dirty window water could otherwise mark light carpets.
    Finally - dont trip over your bucket and spill it (guilty)
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast