Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Lichen from Rocks?

Default Removing Lichen from Rocks?

Does anyone know of a spray that will kill lichen?
    I have a half acre block, and apart from the house & a couple of small sheds and an area of old farm implements, it is all rock garden. Fascinating place. Been a labour of love for the man that created it but unfortunately he passed away 7 years ago. Now his widow wants the lichen removed from the rocks.

I think it would take too long to do with a pressure cleaner. I sprayed a small area today with glypho for a trial, but I don't think that will work.
    The widow says she has some spray that hubby used to use, but if it's been sitting in the shed for 7 years I don't think I want to use it. Also, she's invalid, a bit paranoid and everything is locked up,so I haven't been able to see what it is.
    Any ideas?

Here is a pic of the place I found on the net, but that's only a fraction of it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8779110...7594161832772/

Default Re: Removing Lichen from Rocks?

Hey edbeek,lime sulphur will control lichen.
    cheers astro.

Thanks Astro. Does that leave a visible residue? or do you wash it off after some time? A large part of it is all set in concrete with concrete paths and no plants. Other parts are in sandy soil with grasstrees/cactus in places. Wonder if it will affect them?

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Thanks Astro. Does that leave a visible residue? or do you wash it off after some time? A large part of it is all set in concrete with concrete paths and no plants. Other parts are in sandy soil with grasstrees/cactus in places. Wonder if it will affect them?
    Hey edbeek for the best results apply lime suphur on a sunny day to the rock surface it canbe rinsed off after 15mins this will remove any residue.Avoid overspray onto plant foliage as it may burn the leaves.If excessive spray is in contact with soil around plants roots dilute by watering the affected soil area,as it is very alkaline in nature.
    Cheers astro.

Thanks very much Astro. Sounds good.
    Not saying I'm looking forward to it though

I'll try to get some pics next time I'm there. Unbelievable the amount of work that went into it. There's petrified butts of trees about 2 foot round, heaps of old fossilized bones.
    Now the old fella is gone and mum can't get out of the house to even look at it

Thanks very much Astro. Sounds good.
    Not saying I'm looking forward to it though

I'll try to get some pics next time I'm there. Unbelievable the amount of work that went into it. There's petrified butts of trees about 2 foot round, heaps of old fossilized bones.
    Now the old fella is gone and mum can't get out of the house to even look at it
    Edbeek that stone wall feature is brilliant;better than watching televison.
    At least you will have somewhere to sit down at lunchtime.
    cheers astro.

I finally go round to spraying the lichen here today. I think I spent more time admiring the rocks than spraying.
    The lady told me today that she is having a sale and all of the old machinery and maybe most of the rocks that aren't set in concrete will be sold.

Here's a few of the pics I took today.
    023rs.jpg 024rs.jpg 025rs.jpg 026rs.jpg

And a few more.
    006rs.jpg 010rs.jpg 016rs.jpg

G'day edbeek, is that across the road from Stolzenberg Eng?
    Matt

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

My god, its like a crazy stone wonderland. I've never seen anything like it. I myself would like a bit more green action in there, but I totally respect this man for his labour of love. RIP. Some of those pics look like petrified wood. Actual timber that has turned hard as stone over thousands of years. I've never seen such large pieces. Its staggering when you think about all the hundreds of thousands of seasons and happenings that wood has seen pass. It might have even been around for the dinosaurs.
    But I digress.
    + 1 for lime sulphur. Its organic too. You'd wanna use no less than 20ml per litre, but I've never sprayed lichen so don't take my word for it, best to look it up on the net. At this time of year most plants won't get burnt by it. Its when the temps are over 30 degs you wanna be careful.

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrified_wood
    For anyone thats interested.

Yep MJB . That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by great nature View Post
    My god, its like a crazy stone wonderland. I've never seen anything like it. I myself would like a bit more green action in there, but I totally respect this man for his labour of love. RIP. Some of those pics look like petrified wood. Actual timber that has turned hard as stone over thousands of years. I've never seen such large pieces. Its staggering when you think about all the hundreds of thousands of seasons and happenings that wood has seen pass. It might have even been around for the dinosaurs.
    But I digress.
    + 1 for lime sulphur. Its organic too. You'd wanna use no less than 20ml per litre, but I've never sprayed lichen so don't take my word for it, best to look it up on the net. At this time of year most plants won't get burnt by it. Its when the temps are over 30 degs you wanna be careful.
    Thanks for that GN. I couldn't find a dilution rate for lichen on rocks anywhere. I started @ 50ml/L but was going to run out too quickly, so ended up @ 25ml/L. Virtually no plants to worry about.
    Some of the petrified wood is unbelievable. The rocks near the sprayer look like they are one complete tree trunk.
    This one looks like a burnt stick you could pick up in the paddock anytime... but it's petrified.

014rs.jpg
    Some of these tree butts would be 600-700kg i think.
    009rs.jpg

Amazing! Gives new meaning to the term 'rock garden'.

Yep MJB . That's it.
    Nice one. Was pretty sure that was it. They got a bit of gear for sale, wouldn't mind heading up for a look.
    http://goetschandsons.com.au/events/...ables-auction/
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast