Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Should we get a new accountant?

Member of forum only grasshopping's Avatar

Default Should we get a new accountant?

We have been using the same accountant for years, but the last two years he has been taking up to six months to do our tax returns with many emails to remind him to do it. His wife tells me that he is very busy and has to prioritise his work load, but six months wait! Has anyone else had to wait that long. We usually send through 12 spreadsheets, but this year I am condensing it down to one sheet. Can anyone in Sydney recommend a good accountant or should we stick with the old one.

Cheers, Kathryn
    Grasshopper Mowing Services

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

Default Re: Should we get a new accountant?

If its causing you stress, you might be best moving on. I think three months would be as long as i would wait and if they are so busy, they need to bite the bullet and hire some casual help. Several emails to remind them.......thats not cool. That should give them a hint that your needs and concerns aren't being met. It won't hurt to look around. It might pay to give the current accountant the lowdown that you are wanting to look elsewhere and why. It would be good for them to know and they might convince you to stay on your terms. ya don't ask, ya don't get.

My accountant has my, and my partner's paperwork done and ready to file in 7 - 10 days and he's a partner in one of the busier offices in town.

Generally mines done between 3 to 6 weeks, but thats because I tell him its no rush. So fits it in with other work. a couple fo years ago I needed it pronto, so he had it done in a week.
    6 months, would you wait 6 months for a lawn mower guy to turn up. Expect similiar service to what your clients expect from you.

six month wait ...lol ... I would be telling him to get f...... , or demanding minimum 50 percent off his fees and charges .

seems a long time 6 months,he must have a heap load of work to not want your money sooner.....ours for the partnership is 440 and email him one sheet of paper and 2 weeks later we get the bill from the ATO to Pay..... don't you hate it when the ato send you a notice to up the rate for your PAYG .....our business is now 90% direct deposit so even if we wanted too cant hide much now a days..... anyway have to pay tax and GST and makes me annoyed greatly when my competitors in my town brag about 90 % cash and are not GST registered......have called the ATO hotline but from my limited experience seems a lot of crap from the nil reaction it appears to be having....Most contractors in my area are doing 75k plus in reality its only 6 to 8 lawns a day for 5 days not that hard to get over that figure

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopping View Post
    We have been using the same accountant for years, but the last two years he has been taking up to six months to do our tax returns with many emails to remind him to do it. His wife tells me that he is very busy and has to prioritise his work load, but six months wait! Has anyone else had to wait that long. We usually send through 12 spreadsheets, but this year I am condensing it down to one sheet. Can anyone in Sydney recommend a good accountant or should we stick with the old one.

Cheers, Kathryn
    Grasshopper Mowing Services
    Does he wear a cashmere jacket and have regular trips to columbia?

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO View Post
    Does he wear a cashmere jacket and have regular trips to columbia?
    Ahaa!!!... Seinfeld fan if i'm correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    Ahaa!!!... Seinfeld fan if i'm correct.
    Heres to having fun all the time!

To answer your question yes you should if the situation doesn't improve.

Emailed my MYOB file and other details to the accountant yesterday, got an email back today saying he will do it Tuesday week. Thats good service. If yours says 6 months, I say goodbye