Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Heads up for iPhone users on the Optus network

Default Heads up for iPhone users on the Optus network

I received my phone bill today from Amaysim. First thing I noticed was the extra (almost) $10 charge on top of the usual $40, so now $50.
    I had sent a few international sms to a customer overseas back in May but then I checked my kids bill, it was almost exactly the same, $10 more so almost $50. We have the same plan.

I looked back over a few of her and my bills and I was charged an extra $10 last month.

These are all international sms charges going to a 44 number which turns out to be the UK

On further research, iphone sends an sms to the UK when iMessage or Facetime is activated or if sim card is removed, reinstalled. maybe even when the phone is turned on and off. Possibly even when sending text while roaming.

I rarely turn the phone off, never turn Facetime or iMessage on or off so dont know why Im getting all these extra charges. Its complete BS. If it was just 25cents per month or something, cool but frickin $10. Gotta be kidding me!

Anyway, if anyone has an iphone, is on the Optus network, check ya bills!

Seems this has been going on for some time but I only looked into it due to the fcukin $10!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1819020

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Default Re: Heads up for iPhone users on the Optus network

I have all my family's phones on Optus, 2 are iPhones but no $10 charge thankfully

Its not a $10 charge but iMessage and Facetime send off sms's that you dont know about, sometimes several times a day and at 25 cents a pop, it adds up. Its not supposed to send multiple sms's, only one when you activate those app's.
    Some companies dont charge for it, others do.
    It doesnt happen to everyone either, just seems to be phone specific but both my daughter and I are getting smashed with it, my daughter this month and I got hit last month as well.
    I'll have to call Apple and see whats going on. They will blame the carrier Im sure.

Mick
    Thanks for the heads up,my daughters phone is on the same Amaysim plan,just checked the last 2 bills and all good my end but will keep a check on it.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

No worries mate. The thread is just a head up, thats all!

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

Hey Mick. Now that its been a couple of months, hows amaysim going? Extra charges, reception, etc.
    Im asking cos i use several gigs of data every month with my app games and its costing me heaps adding data packs all the time with vodafoney. I like the idea of 4gigs for 39.90 plus unlimited calls and options for data packs. Is it too good to be true? Id rather learn from someone elses mistakes, than make my own.
    Cheers
    Rae
    This is what im looking at:
    http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pla...sim-flexi.html

Failed.............

Yep, thats the plan!

Im not a huge mobile data user unless I have line or power problems on the home line and need to tether. Ive never gone over the cap! Im pretty careful what I do in those situations though. No Youtube vids for example.

The following is about iPhone... (edit, just realised Ive stated this already)
    Be careful of iMessage and or Facetime. Ive been stung a few times due to those apps, $10/mth on top of the Amaysim's $40. Havent found the reason or who to blame so had to close and stop using those apps. May of been a glitch and things may of changed. Im just sayin'....
    From what I can work out, those apps send a connection text to the UK, which isnt covered in the plan so you get hit with the International text cost. I'd be ok with one, or 2 a month but I was getting a heap of them costing that $10. BS I reckon but they pass the buck and I still dont know what the issue was! If you search something like "iMessage hidden cost" you'll find that its a hit and miss issue. Doesnt effect everyone but it does some, like me and my kids phone, but not my wife!

Back on topic...
    I get cold calls from providers, Vodawank for example and they ask, "How much am I paying etc" (all excited like) I tell them and there pretty quick to hang up! Its the 4G data that screws them!

On the data... Every time you use data its measured as per 1mb. Basically, if you only use realistically 100kb, you'll be "charged" for 1mb.

Im going on a bit here, sorry about that but I have my phone set up so only the stuff I need can be loaded over the network. Music, apps etc can only be downloaded over wi-fi unless I change settings.

Just to finish up, its a damn good plan if Optus works for you! Ive had very little to complain about. I really couldnt care less about the iMessage stuff, I have unlimited text (not international though), 1800 and 1300 covered, unlimited calls and 4gb of data. Sweet!

At the end of the day, for me and my family, its the best plan for us.

Without looking, its a non contract, month to month plan so cant hurt to try it out and bail if not happy!

Hope thats been some help!

My daughter and old man have been on it for ages with no problems. I'm just about to change the wife's phone over and I will change mine when it comes off contract. I've been with Telstra for a long time but their recent cuts to data with no reduction in cost will cost them my business .
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Awesome Mick. Great help.
    Im under contract with VF til feb, but i think it'll be worth backing out and going with amaysim next month. I wont mind paying a little for imessages and i dont send that many anyway. This month has cost me $87 so far (49 for the plan, 8 for the handset, 10 for an extra gig each month and 20 for a 1.25 gig top up). Still got 8 days to go with less than 400mb of data. Gonna have to buy another top up god damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by great nature View Post
    Hey Mick. Now that its been a couple of months, hows amaysim going? Extra charges, reception, etc.
    Im asking cos i use several gigs of data every month with my app games and its costing me heaps adding data packs all the time with vodafoney. I like the idea of 4gigs for 39.90 plus unlimited calls and options for data packs. Is it too good to be true? Id rather learn from someone elses mistakes, than make my own.
    Cheers
    Rae
    This is what im looking at:
    http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pla...sim-flexi.html
    Amaysim has worked well for me the last 2 years. I don't use anywhere near 4 gigs though. coverage is good where I am.

Awesome Mick. Great help.
    Im under contract with VF til feb, but i think it'll be worth backing out and going with amaysim next month. I wont mind paying a little for imessages and i dont send that many anyway. This month has cost me $87 so far (49 for the plan, 8 for the handset, 10 for an extra gig each month and 20 for a 1.25 gig top up). Still got 8 days to go with less than 400mb of data. Gonna have to buy another top up god damn it.
    No Wifi at home?

Sterlo
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sterlo View Post
    No Wifi at home?

Sterlo
    Hey Sterlo. Im in an area where i cant get an adsl connection. Which reeeeaaaaalllly sucks. So i am on a wireless mobile broadband connection (dongle). Do you know if its possible to use some of that data for my phone without a router? My computer has a little wifi on/off switch. Or if i got a router could i do it? Im not very computer literate. Learning as i go.

Hey Sterlo. Im in an area where i cant get an adsl connection. Which reeeeaaaaalllly sucks. So i am on a wireless mobile broadband connection (dongle). Do you know if its possible to use some of that data for my phone without a router? My computer has a little wifi on/off switch. Or if i got a router could i do it? Im not very computer literate. Learning as i go.
    You can connect your computer to the phone (tether) and use the phone as the dongle/modem. Ive had to do it heaps of times when my phone line cracks it. The pit outside floods when we get heaps of rain.
    Being that there are 3 of us with the same 4gb data means we have 12g to use, pretty much. Obviously the phone uses some on its own and again, just be careful how much vid etc you download.

You may want to look into satellite internet. Its not perfect ie, cloudy day can mess with it for example but its probably better than dial up.
    http://www.activ8me.net.au/internet/...roadband-plans