Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What's this plant

Default Re: What's this plant

call them cotton reels here, one of the real nasties

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Yes they are a real weed in west melbourne. Seedlings pop up everywhere.

Any idea what sort of hedge this is? Small leaves about the size of a 5 cent peice.

It's new growth is quite bright green but the older growth is heaps duller and more of an olive colour. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to be feeding it / treating it?

The hedge itself is about a foot and a half high and is planted under some creeping jasmine. It's starting to get woody and patchy in areas and I'm not sure if this is related to the possible issue showing on the leaf.

Any help appreciated!
    1433205480155-957004106.jpg14332055321711178993507.jpg14332055828341682308562.jpg

Luma apiculata.(crush the leaves & smell)
    Looks like it has mildew.
    That may have been caused by the chinese star jasmine growing over the top, has that been cut back recently ?
    The far right end looks far healthier, away from the jasmine.
    If so, that may explain it. It would be dark with poor air flow, ideal conditions for mildew.

As Fred said, luma apiculata

Discoloured leaves may also be caused by thrips

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    As Fred said, luma apiculata

Discoloured leaves may also be caused by thrips
    I was thinking Thrips, also. Looked like a lot of damage, for them to have not been picked up before though.

no idea what the plant is but looks a bit like lace bug damage. Lace bug is common in azalias. Those little digital microscopes that plug in to a USB port are very handy for checking out a leaf sample for insects.

Lace bug and thrip damage looks similar, In both cases the damaged leaves do not recover or improve.

If the pests are removed the new growth should be normal and not discoloured

Has anyone got advice about transplanting a magnolia. Its about 4 or 5 feet high with a 3 inch trunk. It's a sentimental tree so i need to minimise the risk of it dying.
    It's the deciduous type but don't know what kind it is other than that. I'm thinking of taking as much root ball as possible. Is it less risk for them to pot it for a while or to plant it straight out in the yard.

As an aside, while I was researching, i came across this amazing tree transplanting machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJazA2RCawg

Hey Steveo,
    I would recommend allowing the magnolia to go dormant , allowing all the energy from the leaves to be transferred into the trunk for new growth in spring.
    This will also reduce transplant shock.
    In spring use a sharp long-handled shovel to cut a root ball of 350mm diameter/depth.
    Then pot on into a 400mm plastic pot with a premium potting mix + water in with seasol.
    And apply a seasol treatment every month.
    This allows the magnolias root system to develop at a greater rate than if it was placed in wet/cold soil.
    When the magnolia has re-foliaged +the roots have developed in the pot , re-plant in the garden.
    They prefer a well drained soil profile , improve with quality compost/cow manure + fertilize with a complete fertilizer high in nitrogen + potassium.
    Water in with seasol + plant in the same direction of its original placement.
    Be patient when transplanting some varieties of magnolias as they take a few years to establish back in the soil.
    Cheers Astro.

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO View Post
    Hey Steveo,
    I would recommend allowing the magnolia to go dormant , allowing all the energy from the leaves to be transferred into the trunk for new growth in spring.
    This will also reduce transplant shock.
    In spring use a sharp long-handled shovel to cut a root ball of 350mm diameter/depth.
    Then pot on into a 400mm plastic pot with a premium potting mix + water in with seasol.
    And apply a seasol treatment every month.
    This allows the magnolias root system to develop at a greater rate than if it was placed in wet/cold soil.
    When the magnolia has re-foliaged +the roots have developed in the pot , re-plant in the garden.
    They prefer a well drained soil profile , improve with quality compost/cow manure + fertilize with a complete fertilizer high in nitrogen + potassium.
    Water in with seasol + plant in the same direction of its original placement.
    Be patient when transplanting some varieties of magnolias as they take a few years to establish back in the soil.
    Cheers Astro.
    Thanks Astro, sounds like good advice to me. I don't have the option of waiting till spring because it needs to be moved before house extension in about a month. I'll let them know it is not the ideal time to pot it up so that they don't have their hopes set too high. I'm still reluctant to do it, would rather they did it.

has anyone seen a petunia go like this?
    IMG_20170214_134439_01.jpg
    I'm always planting/re-planting petunias, but have never seen this happen??

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Yes I have, I thought it was just a cross pollenated plant. Just pulled it out and put more back in. I have seen it a couple of times over 20 odd years of gardening.

thanks David, reckon l've been at it near as long as you but never struck this...was only the one in a whole bed, some weird sport or other?

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Anyone know what this plant is with the dark purple stems? Best I can tell is it's some kind of sedge? Could it even be some variety of grass? It seems to have really taken off after lots of regular watering and all that wet weather we had earlier this year.

IMG_7445 (1).jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456