Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working with sub-contractors: problems and pitfalls

Default Re: Working with sub-contractors: problems and pitfalls

Its cool mate, a pic or 2 of the filled in ruts so I can get my head around it. But only if you want!
    Yeah mate, wheeled skids are ok if its a new build or in an area thats going to be fixed, re turfed or not bothered about but driving them over existing grass is a bad idea. Seen it many times!
    Tracked skids are the way to go and while they usually cost more per hour, "can" also get stuff done quicker with less damage. They are still heavy so sh!t will happen and the grass wont like it but you'll have far less rutting etc to deal with.

Getting a machine to do the heavy work is definitely the way to go but just understand there limitations! I wouldnt let this put you off in future. Just learn from it, sort it out and move on.

Sent an email to him this morning. Got a voice message on my phone while at the doctor tonight saying to ring him as he doesn't do emails (alright to email me an invoice though) but that's not my preferred method. In this situation I'd prefer everything to be done via email so there is a record.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Sent an email to him this morning. Got a voice message on my phone while at the doctor tonight saying to ring him as he doesn't do emails (alright to email me an invoice though) but that's not my preferred method. In this situation I'd prefer everything to be done via email so there is a record.
    What I often do in that situation is after the phone call send an email confirming what was discussed and actions arising from the call.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    What I often do in that situation is after the phone call send an email confirming what was discussed and actions arising from the call.
    +1

&/or
    Does your phone have a "call record function" -- can be useful when in "sticky situations" where other party wants to avoid anything in writing. Can think of a couple of businesses I have had to tangle with ... (

Joe

Yep, all things I have been thinking of today to use in future. I don't think I have call record but I have a voice recorder for meetings. I have notes that I wrote down straight after I met with him not that that probably means anything.

Got an email back from him tonight and now he's trying to justify his increased price by saying he was on site for X amount of hours and purchased X amount of road-base. Does not excuse him from the fact he quoted me what he quoted me initially.

If I quote someone a price and the job takes me a bit longer than I thought, I wear it. He's basically refused to do any remediation work to the site so now it's gloves, rake, shovel and wheelbarrow and a few more hours of my time (and pain).

Don't know if i read this right,
    He quoted $400 - $440 for the job
    If he put $200 of road base in then..
    The invoice should be $464.00
    He can break down the time it took + material used all he likes, he gave you a quote not an estimate.
    As far as the reckless work, he won't be back

That's the thing. He didn't break down his initial quote. He just said "$400 to $440 will cover it, using about 10 cubic of roadbase". $440 is what I'm holding him to. I won't be paying a cent more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12