Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cox Lawn Boss belt change

Default Cox Lawn Boss belt change

gotta change both belts, never done it - anyone have any clues tips? will be doing it tomorrow

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Default Re: Cox Lawn Boss belt change

Paul - wondering if the Cox factory in Brissy could talk you through it if you don't have any luck?

Ph 07 3323 2222

Freecall 1300 857 282

sales@coxmowers.com.au

Greasemonkey (from the forum) was a Cox mechanic. Wonder where he is these days...

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

love to help redeye but I've never had to do it either.

l took the belt off yesterday, was in perfect condition!! and the spare l had was a A58 not a B58 so l put it back on. Made some adjustments to factory settings and it is still bogging down, losing revs in longer grass, belts are squealing, not sure what to do next - the engine was installed a few weeks ago, brand new kohler.

Starting to think about getting a ztr but need one max 36" cut, would love a gravely compact pro (going by the specs) but they're exxy; the 30" husky/dixon look a bit flimsy for some of my lawns though the size is good for me (only do resi)......anyone used a gravely zoom 34?

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Redeye my last ride on had similar problems..have you ensured the engine bolts are tight and the motor is is levered forward ( thus tensioning the mower belt ).....iI changed the mower deck belt and still had slippage problems ,replaced the belt pulleys and job done ......sometimes the cutter engagement lever needs adjusting to give full tension on the belt ...as far as the drive belt i did over 1000 hours and still in good knick

Redeye,
    Go and get the B58 as the A58 in a narrower profile and will cause the mower to slip and squeal. The B section belt is the correct belt for the mower. How long ago did the belt start slipping, after the new motor or before. When was the last time the drive belt was changed.

Its the original belt David, been playing up for the last week, engine went on in August. I'm wondering if, as Geoff suggested, the belt needs more tension, but the revs drop way down which doesn't suggest to me that the belt is slipping

edit - I only had a spare A58 so l put the B58 back on, it seems to be in excellent condition

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Redeye,
    I would go and buy a B58 and see if it makes a difference. The belt might not have any cracks and can look in good condition but if the section of the belt is worn it will let the belt slip more under load. If you don't want to just buy a belt on spec, take the old one in and measure it against the new one, you may need a set of verniers but if the belt has 2mm difference in section it will be the cause of your problem. It lets the belt move deeper into the groove and this in turn let the tension off the belt. You could possibly adjust the tension on the belt depends if the drive pulley housing can be moved to the rear.

Paul,
    Check the owners manual, you may need to adjust the motor forward to put more tension on the PTO belt and then you may have to adjust the link on the cutter deck that put more tension on the cutter belt.
    http://coxmowers-px.rtrk.com.au/wp-c...-Lawn-Boss.pdf

put a new drive belt on this afternoon, its like a new machine again! thanks for your help David, much appreciated

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Glad I could help.

If it starts slipping again and adjustment doesn't work just try some Belt Grip, it's in a spray can available from most engineering places. PS Kevlar belts are also worth the money for future replacement!

Which Cox do you have?

I've got two 32" Lawn Bosses.

got the same joey, can't get decent belts down here - do you know the belt number (for the kevlar) and any online sellers?

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I testing out the cox on a patch of grass today that wasn't long or wet. What I noticed is that when mowing downhill or flat everything is sweet, as i turn and head uphill, the mower really slows down to a crawl (almost a stand still) even at full throttle with accelarator fully pressed, this does not seem right to me. When I diesengage the blades it takes off again. Wasn't a big slope either. Does this sound normal?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    i testing out the cox on a patch of grass today that wasn't long or wet. What i noticed is that when mowing downhill or flat everything is sweet, as i turn and head uphill, the mower really slows down to a crawl (almost a stand still) even at full throttle with accelarator fully pressed, this does not seem right to me. When i diesengage the blades it takes off again. Wasn't a big slope either. Does this sound normal?

you need to tension the belts, try putting belt grip on as well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast