Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cox Lawn Boss belt change

Default Re: Cox Lawn Boss belt change

trust me to do it the hard way grrr!lol....... the belts on mine....
    20140315_112244.jpg
    the top of the tranny you need to lift up
    20140315_111738.jpg

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Mine doesn't have the grill that yours has, its a solid plate on top of the tranny (which is I think what needs to removed to get the belts off) with a nut and bolt in the middle and four smaller bolts on the corners. I've run in to a problem where I can't undo the nut, it just turns the bolt but I can't see how to stop that bolt turning to get the nut off as there is no movement anywhere when i rotate the nut/bolt. My belt is definetly A84 but there are no markings on cutter belt. IMG_20140315_122023.jpgIMG_20140315_122054.jpgIMG_20140315_122221.jpg

Go the belts off. It's the four bolts that hold the plate. The big bolt in the middle is to hold the pulley on and once the plate comes off the pulley comes with it. Once the pully off the other end is an allen key fitting which explains why it was rotating. Off to auto poo to try and find some belts. Have emailed cox for their thoughts on what belts to fit but can't wait that long.

no luck with the belts will have to wait till next week and go to a mower shop. I am confused as to why you have two B belts on yours where as i have 1 A belt and one B belt. Asto the length of the belts i'm totally confused as well. How can yours be B86 when mine is 84? Even with the engine pulled fully forward mine is slipping so why would you put an 86 on? What model is yours redeye?

Looks to be a different pulley setup, could explain the different belts being needed.

mine is a 16.5hp briggs
    20140315_152320.jpg

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

That probably explains the different belts and the grill on yours being a different model. I'm going to stick with what is in my manual and hope that everything is still original.

How did you go with belt sizes?

I was sure mine was an A82 - might be a tiny but tighter but allows more adjustment as time goes on.

Buy the belt from an engineering place.

I got them from here, went with these because they made reference to the cox part numbers. what model have you got Joey?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BELT-A83-...item27d0f922e5

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BELT-DECK...item27d3d469f6

When they arrive and I try to fit them I'll let you know how I go.

I have a 13hp Briggs with 32inch cut and a 16.5hp briggs same cut

I fitted the engine belt. Like a new mower now. Thanks for everyones help.

This morning I went to start the cox and the plastic fan on top of the brigs engine shattered in to pieces. Made a horrible noise. Is anyone familiar with the role of this fan and how critical it is. I assume it is to draw air in around the engine for cooling. I have pulled out all the bits and it runs fine without it. Being winter can i run it fairly safely while I chase a replacement part? Pretty bloody flimsily built plastics around this engine by the way. I have no idea why it happened which is a slight concern.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    This morning I went to start the cox and the plastic fan on top of the brigs engine shattered in to pieces. Made a horrible noise. Is anyone familiar with the role of this fan and how critical it is. I assume it is to draw air in around the engine for cooling. I have pulled out all the bits and it runs fine without it. Being winter can i run it fairly safely while I chase a replacement part? Pretty bloody flimsily built plastics around this engine by the way. I have no idea why it happened which is a slight concern.
    Mine did the same got it replaced wasnt expensive, got the mower shop to do as i was unsure of how to do it, Cox also sent a replacement grill that goes above it, the new grill is metal and has small round holes wont let much through. a nut or small stick gets in and under the fan and then wedges gets very hot, motor cools then it welds, start motor and bang fan explodes. not very common my mower shop had never seen it, thats why they called cox and they changed the grill. Stay safe m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Mine did the same got it replaced wasnt expensive, got the mower shop to do as i was unsure of how to do it, Cox also sent a replacement grill that goes above it, the new grill is metal and has small round holes wont let much through. a nut or small stick gets in and under the fan and then wedges gets very hot, motor cools then it welds, start motor and bang fan explodes. not very common my mower shop had never seen it, thats why they called cox and they changed the grill. Stay safe m8.
    Thanks Macka. Mine already has a metal grill. Bought mine in 2014. The price of a new one seems to have doubled since then but my income hasn't doubled :-). Its called the stockman 4000 and has a 17.5hp brigs. What one have you got and how is it going other than the fan issue? I have had a couple of issues with ignition coil failing but not too much other than that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast