Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What plants for here?

Default What plants for here?

One of my clients want me "fix that up". He wants the middle shrub out but the rest is up to me. Anyone have any suggestions. I was looking at leaving the two bushes at the side since they have fairly full foliage (considering until yesterday we've had no rain for months) and putting something to replace the middle shrub that will grow above the others (2-3 metres) and then maybe a flowering groundcover to inhibit weed growth. Any plant suggestions?

It faces due south but doesn't really get shaded in apart from the depths of winter, even then it get 4-5 hours sun a day. About 800 metres from the coast, soil is sandy.

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

Default Re: What plants for here?

Maybe a metrosideros or flowering lily pily like cascade in the middle, even a dwarf australian christmas bush or dwarf wattle, maybe some sort of boronia, that creeping grevillia ground cover might work too.

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

Just for an alternative: Id rip it all out and plonk a crepe myrtle in the middle with 4-5 azaleas zigzagged and trimmmed as balls. Eventually you could trim it to a curvey low hedge. Prolly could go a small growing liriope (like samantha, not evergreen giant) or mondo in the 3-4 gaps. Would DEFINATELY improve the soil with several bags of compost(low pH) and or sheep or cow poo. That soil looks really tired and dry.

Could suggest a Coprosma 'Karo Red' to replace the Grevlliea + westringia 'flat and fruity' as a groundcover to define the boundary.
    Would use hydrocell to increase soil water holding capacity.

I have the new OzBreed trade catalogue in front of me tonight.

There's a Callistemon viminalis called 'Slim' which will naturally get to 3m x 1.3 wide. Underplant with Pigface - Carpobrotus glaucescens 'Aussie Rambler' large pink flower, 20cm high x 1.2m, which goes well in sandy soil and is a coastal plant too. Another option for groundcover is Myoporum parvifolium 'Yareena' 10cm high x 1m, small white flowers.

Or take out the lot and mass plant Dianella, Lomandra or Kangaroo grass.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll let you know what happens when I do it next week......depends what I can source locally as well.