Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How long can we do this work?

Default Re: How long can we do this work?

they were never the same when trav demsey left, best song by far would have to be either all torn down or save the day though ...although roll on is also a good play ...love how most of their songs have a slightly political under-tone without being so damn obvious like midnight oil lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Struth, how close can you get!
    Just two paces short of the Bath, pissed, slipped and swallowed the soap.
    Weed & Feed.
    Boom Boom

Seams to be the positive thinking, and enjoying what we do and keep moving is the key to how long we can do this.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I wrote a long post about how I am really struggling this year on my own, and how the pain has come back into my buttock and new hip , I wanted to add some more but somehow deleted the whole post. Anyway how long can we do this work ? Not much longer I feel, just when you really get a handle on how to run a good business and my body is letting me down, I wish I was fit and pain free got 15 years to go, so what am I gunna do

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    I wrote a long post about how I am really struggling this year on my own, and how the pain has come back into my buttock and new hip , I wanted to add some more but somehow deleted the whole post. Anyway how long can we do this work ? Not much longer I feel, just when you really get a handle on how to run a good business and my body is letting me down, I wish I was fit and pain free got 15 years to go, so what am I gunna do

here is what you posted mate. Took it off my notification email

Just been reading over this thread again, and the question how long can we do this work for is what I have been asking myself lately, I feel my time mowing could be coming to an end . I had my new hip almost 2 years ago now , at first it was all good ,I thought I would be able to get on with my life and my business pain free. Last Christmas my offsider retired , so since then I have been solo.
    This year I have worked harder then I ever have , the pain in my left hip has come back a bit , but I have this constant pain in my left buttock that no doctor can find what is causing it. I am having another cortisone needle tomorrow, that will be three in a few weeks, they are just fishing as they don't know what's up with me. The pain is constant 24 hours a day it never leaves me, I have taken every tablet known to man ,tried every type of doctor or quack out there and nothing. The guys that know me , would know I have had this hip thing for 10 years, it has sent me broke, no health insurance , and bills beyond belief, new hip 28k yep pay before we play .
    At the moment the only thing I look forward to is Friday arvos , I have a shower take an endone and relax, not the best way to live.
    I have been dropping my harder jobs , as I haven't been able to find someone to help me, but even having a good offsider doesn't get me off my feet. I need a break, I don't know if I should sell up or cut back further, I just managed the winter , but at the moment I am swamped with work I cant see myself keeping this pace up till Christmas.

I would love to say I will keep going till I'm 70 but it aint gunna happen , every step I took today hurt my hip, it squeaks like a rusty gate , I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee, my right shoulder is not good, think I tore something in it about 6 months ago and it just wont get better, my left wrist pains terribly at times probably from the seven screws, I sound like a crock but I don't know what to do
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

All I can suggest is start looking at other avenue of work that can use your skills and experience but are not as hard on the body
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Hard to say what path to take there, and most jobs seem to be P/Time or Casual these days for 24/7 flexibility for the employer. Plus employers push the weekend or evening/night in anything Retail or Hospitality.
    But after being self employed, working for someone and being told when to take a 10min tea break and this what you do after lunch would be frightening hard.
    I look at my wife's developing situation and we see your own personal situation unfolding. I guess you have scattered thoughts of a path to take, but its the unknown that's confronting.
    When I left my career job of 33 yrs it was confronting whilst researching this forum in detail heading into a major career change.
    I've just turned 59 and wife 56, so we are further into life's journey. Plus old employers+us have paved a nice Super for both of us which ='s security.
    Stay Positive, but easier said than done.

One thing I've noticed at the busy Husky shop is the new mechanics of late that the owner has put on to enhance the workshop and service counter side of the business. Is that an avenue to consider?
    Cheers Garry

Sorry to hear the hip drama is persisting Mark. I know its very hard to keep going with that kind of pain, Im still having sciatica pain in the hip/buttock that seems to be getting harder to manage. Chiro gets his elbow right into the painful spot, it freaking kills but it massages the deep nerve in the buttock. He also manipulates the pelvis/lower back etc. Have an appointment in like 30mins actually!
    I use a roller as well and stretching but like I said, its getting harder to manage. Frozen and ligament damage in my shoulder is slowly getting better, been over a year but I can see myself actually going for a surf later this summer. God Ive missed that, Ive s[ent a small fortune trying to speed up the healing and not sure if it actually did anything! But Im seriously lucky to of been able to get out and still have an ok income.
    Theres a channel on YT that may be able to help with stretches, exercises etc. https://www.youtube.com/user/physica...pyvideo/videos
    On aside, you might want to look into dropshipping, selling stuff on Facebook, ebay etc. Low cost to get into and something I was thinking of myself as a way to make some extra income. Plenty of info on YT if interested.

Hey Mick, good to hear from you brother, hopefully be up your way in March, I miss those waves. I have had a few surfs since my hip , it really is weird as its my front foot so its gotta move the furthest, my mind is willing but I'm just a little slow. This summer I will give it a nudge the boys are on me all the time to go for a wave.

Gaz the biggest problem I have is how would I be able to work for someone else. My story is, I started an apprenticeship at 15, lucky I had probably the best boss at his trade ,and the nicest bloke you could ever meet , old school , I listened and learned, never had a bad word between us, he made me do the hort course once I finished tafe I wasn't keen on another 3 years at tafe but I'm glad he pushed me to do it, hours were great so had plenty of time in the water. He was my last boss , at 19 I scored a head greenkeeping job , and every job since I have been the boss, so taking orders from some clown would be very hard to do. Plus when I am having a bad day with pain I pull the pin and go home. I don't think I could work 9 to 5 , or inside for that matter. I have been offered jobs over the years , golf courses , nurseries etc but when it comes to the crunch I make better money working less hours. Maybe employing someone is the answer but I'm not keen on all the problems that come with it. Every time I say I'm going to cut back I ditch a few then take ten on , cant help myself . I really need to act, maybe 6 months off would let my body heal

Let me know when you're up, catch up for a beer and whinge or something!

To look after myself I have an osteo appointment every 5 weeks and remedial massage every 3 weeks, doesn't make u bullet proof but ive never felt better than the last 18 months ive been going.
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

I go to the gym and see a personal trainer 2 x week. He tailors a program to help put everything (musccles / joints) back where they are suppose to be with stretching, weights. etc

My right shoulder was giving me some grief due to hunching it up etc when trimming hedges.
    He makes me do exercises to make sure its in place and the muscles more relaxed and less tight

well worth the money I spend on him each week

For anyone who is struggling physically consider throwing it in for a few months and let the body recover.

Sounds drastic and I'm sure it is easier said than done but if you are grinding yourself in to the ground you'll be forced to stop anyway. The difference is you won't have a choice.

A good rest might just do the trick and if it doesn't work, well at least you know.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    see a personal trainer 2 x week. He tailors a program to help put everything (musccles / joints) back where they are suppose to be with stretching, weights. etc
    Sounds like your PT is a qualified Exercise Physiologist ?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast