Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Business name registration

Default Business name registration

Ive been given the clearance by ASTIC that a certain name is available, but it does have similar overtones to another company that does'nt use the name but has it registered.
    Examples ONLY here ok?... "Brentwood lawn and garden maintenance"
    registered to 'Jeds Mowing' versus, "Brentwood Lawn Management"
    The 2nd entity being available to me. BRENTWOOD being to suburb. I have looked all over the place and the similar sounding names are incredible, Brentwood painting, Brentwood painting and maintenance, Brentwood towing, Brentwood tow truck service, Brentwood plumbing, Brentwood plumbing and maintenance, to give a few similar examples, all these have similar names in various but simalar industries.

Would you consider the first 2 on the list as conflicting with each other?, assuming that the first one is owned by 'Jeds Mowing'(big franchise) and the 2nd one is available to use. (me!!)

Default Re: Business name registration

Depends on where the other business is located. I think it's ok as long as the 2 business aren't operating in the same area eg interstate or another part of the state. Had names that were similar to mine in the same industry but they were located far away from me. Hope that helps.

I too had the same problem last year.
    I want to register iMoww. But they said a lawn care shop in Melbourne has the name iMow and i cant have it because it looks and sounds similar.
    And i live and operate in NSW.....
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I want to register iMoww. But they said a lawn care shop in Melbourne has the name iMow and i cant have it because it looks and sounds similar.
    I stand corrected. Seems silly when it's interstate and a shop. I suppose the short answer is if they allow it go ahead.

But if its out of the state you should be able to use it, unless its registered in NSW.
    Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post

mine is Mow and Go Gardening ..that was ok when Mow and Go was registered in SA ....hope this helps. btw, there are always wankers wanting to cash in on YOUR name ...I have a "Mow and Go" in my area ...funnily enough not registered or a legit business and I have another also in my area using my logo as I cant trademark it. ****s me to tears to no end.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I'll bet my bottom dollar the name "Mow and Go Lawn Mowing" is available in NSW, check it on the ASTIC website 'search for a name' section, this is what I mean with similar but different names. What would you do if this happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mow And Go View Post
    mine is Mow and Go Gardening ..that was ok when Mow and Go was registered in SA ....hope this helps. btw, there are always wankers wanting to cash in on YOUR name ...I have a "Mow and Go" in my area ...funnily enough not registered or a legit business and I have another also in my area using my logo as I cant trademark it. ****s me to tears to no end.

Just checked it, requires a 'manual decision', but mow and go similarities are abundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    I'll bet my bottom dollar the name "Mow and Go Lawn Mowing" is available in NSW, check it on the ASTIC website 'search for a name' section, this is what I mean with similar but different names. What would you do if this happened?