Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Buying/Selling a customer

Default Buying/Selling a customer

Curious what is the value of a lawn mowing customer these days.
    What's the formula in working out say 1 customer who has a $40 cut every 3 weeks

Default Re: Buying/Selling a customer

After taking out o/heads, sfa.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Curious what is the value of a lawn mowing customer these days.
    What's the formula in working out say 1 customer who has a $40 cut every 3 weeks

You guys should have something in place when you need to sell off some customers

seem to recall 6 or 7 times the cut value??? wouldn't be the 1st time l was wrong though lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

That seems too much to me depending on the customer. What if like in the current conditions lawns turn to dustbowls and the customer says 'don't think we need to mow this week, let's wait for some rain' OR customer moves to another rental or just decides to stop mowing due to lack of money or feeling they are not getting value.

I reckon you'd have to suss out the customer first, may be worth it if they are loyal and they water the grass, have good mowing flat mowing surfaces with not much leaf drop, easy edges, etc etc.

Some customers you just don't want or need and paying for that would multiply the pain. On the other hand a good customer may be worth it. Then again I have never sold or bought a customer. Just my thoughts.

When I said loyal I actually meant 'good payers'

plus need to consider has the guy selling it priced the cut right, dont want to buy a $40.00 customer who should really be a $60.00 customer, so first thing is priice rise, and they say to expensive bye bye

When I bought my round the customers were valued at $8000 for 41 customers....in round figures, $200 each....with a cut value of around $2000. I had individual customer prices ranging from $25 to $200. Including costs/overheads it was paid for in three months (6 cuts).....another 6 cuts paid for the equipment and then it was profit. Not many businesses you can buy and pay for in 6 months. Having said that, I wouldn't be buying one customer. There has to be a value on customers for the purposes of buying/selling a business. The guy I bought from had half dozen calls from people just wanting the customers.....I got it because I wanted the lot.

Bb1's point is good though. When you buy customers you get them on the understanding that the quote stands. I got some that were underpriced, and some that were overpriced. On average it was about right......just buying one or two I would want to do the equivalent of a quote before I paid any money to make sure the cut price was accurate.

If i'm buying then i'd want to go out with the seller to see if the customers are genuine and are they priced right.
    That's what happened when i purchased my VIP round 30 years ago.
    if the seller says i can't go out with him then i'm not interested in buying it.