Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Looking for a solution to removing Truck Oil from a Concrete drive way

Aussie Looking for a solution to removing Truck Oil from a Concrete drive way

Hi all ,
    My customer's property was attacked so I'm now looking for a solution for removing Black Truck Oil from a concrete driveway and some tree trunks , with out killing the box hedges that runs along side the concrete drive , any suggestions

Cheers
    Les
    Mittagong Lawn Wizard
    Grass keep growing and we keep mowing

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a solution to removing Truck Oil from a Concrete drive way

If the oil is freshly spilt then cover it in kitty litter, let it soak it up for a day then spray it with degreaser and hose away.

Default Re: Looking for a solution to removing Truck Oil from a Concrete drive way

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    If the oil is freshly spilt then cover it in kitty litter, let it soak it up for a day then spray it with degreaser and hose away.

+ 1 on the above.

Go to Supercheap Auto and by the cheapest Degreaser Tins they have, I have found it to be the best for getting oil off the driveway.

Not sure about the trees though.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Make certain that you build a levee bank with sand to protect the box hedges from the oil/degreaser mix.

I just had a customer with some fresh oil leak stains, so I bought a product by Rust-oleum called Epoxy Sheild - Heavy Duty Degreaser from a paint shop. Have used the Supercheap degreaser in the past and this stuff is way better. Tried it on some old oil stains in the workshop as well and it took them out completely. Around $17 for a 946ml bottle.

Hi Cranbourne Lawnmowing ,
    they tried sand over the Oil spill which did good for soaking up ,
    the idea of degreaser was i expected the death of alot of plants ,
    I was told by a colleague ( Dave 66 Impala , Indy member and good friend ) after 40 yrs of truck driving the suggestion was CT14 or CT18 from Chemtech , both are Biodegradable , and available at Super Cheap Auto's in 3 sizes , 1lt , 5lt & 20lt ,
    So I tried the 1Lt CT14 Degreaser / Bilge cleaner , put it down strait to the concrete and brushed it in til it foamed up , then washed of with cold water , awesome results ,
    then tried the 1Lt CT18 Super Truck Wash , applied the same way strait to the concrete and brushed in til it foamed up , then washed of with cold water , again awesome results and was happy to wash the tree truck down with the degreaser and washed off with cold water great results ,
    So $25 worth of chemical and good results , as this was an attack to my customers property by a tradie I'm now hoping the said person didn't use round up on the plants , cause then theres no hope for the plants , it doesn't look like it but fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post

Cheers to all that replied , thanks guys ,
    I think the normal degreaser I've used at home from Super Cheap in the cans killed our grass so wasn't about to put that down on a customer's driveway , it's on a slope and there's no stopping the run off to box hedges on both sides , so going the Biodegradable stuff may have been the best way to go so far , all those suggestions from you guys went through my head and the bio stuff was the one I thought would saved the day , it also helped being a drizzley day too , kept everything wet

cheers guys
    winner for my days work CT 14 & CT 18 made by Chemtech and sold by Super Cheap Auto's and a total of 3hrs of elbow grease , happy days
    Last edited by bulletproofhead; 23-01-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Get your hand weed sprayer clean it out then get a couple of bottles of kerosine, spray it on and scrub with a scrubing brush then a few buckets of hot soapy water and hose off works like a dream..
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

That's really sad. What did the client do to annoy the tradie?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    That's really sad. What did the client do to annoy the tradie?
    Possibly hasn't paid the invoice

Might have to get out my tubs of old undisposed oil here then....

Nah, I could never do that.

the tradie was putting in bogus invoices and expecting to get paid , he got caught out from what I was told and retaliated by the attack on the property , very sad ,
    If I have problems with a customer they get 3 chances , the last time i walk and don't turn back and warn others not to touch that job , the most I've lost on a customer is $20 and total over 4 yrs $25 and 2 customers not worth having