Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ute trays

Default ute trays

Do you guys have steel or alu trays, do you have a preference & why?
    Is alu tuff enough or is steel worth the extra weight & cost.
    Cheers Fred.

Default Re: ute trays

Hi Fred
    I think Ally is the best way to go weight wise and strength just go a bit thicker for better strength , just saying lol

cheers Les
    Mittagong Lawn Wizard
    grass keeps growing and we keep mowing

alu for sure, got a flexiglass one very happy

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Fred I have had both types and it horses for courses. If you are going to throw lots of heavy stuff in your tray then I would go steel otherwise alloy trays would be my recommendation. Steel you can weld fittings to where alloy unless you have access to a mig welder that welds aluminum then it's drill and bolt every thing. Not that this a problem, it's just I like welding LOL (duck **** welder)

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I've had both and would go with aluminium as it doesn't rust and grass clippings cause rust. Vehicle appearance is better for longer.

Aluminium tray all the way. no rust, no paint chips, less weight. I have a Hilux with a Aluminium tray.
    Cheers Garry

Thanx guys, looks like the alu takes the vote.
    Perhaps if I was carting rocks a fair bit, steel might be the go.
    On researching, one manu of alu trays suggested that it actually increases your payload with the steel being 150-200kg heavier.
    Alu is about half the price & less than half the weight
    My main use will still be green waste.
    Cheers Fred.

I voted for steel, but mustn't have submitted my post.

But I'll change my vote to alloy for one of these. Welded rope rails & hinges, Reinforced dropsides.
    Wouldn't be cheap though.
    http://www.buffalofab.com.au/

Some great looking stuff there ed, gives you lots of ideas
    Cheers Fred.

Fred,

If you do go down the Aluminium tray path.
    In Toyota's example, because the tray is classified lighter duty than steel. They install one less cross beam underneath the tray within the Toyota genuine kit, leaving one of the factory fabricated ladder frame mounts vacant.
    When I picked up my Hilux I noticed it and asked for a another cross beam which they did for free.

My ute is a single cab, not sure if the above would occur on a shorter dual cab tray. The only things I don't load in the Aluminium tray is rocks and firewood.
    Aluminium trays have improved ten fold over recent years.

I'm soon to buy a new Hilux 4x4 Dual cab with a aluminium tray again, so I'll be requesting a full set of cross beams.
    Cheers Garry

Thanx for the heads up Gaz, I wouldn't have even known.
    Just curious, why are you going from a single cab to dual?

If you a tray liner and are careful, (not with a front end loader) I don't even see a prob with loading rocks or firewood.
    Cheers Fred.

Just the cabin space, 4X4 and diesel.
    When your got a couple boxes of Draught and some shopping to pick up on Friday arvo, things get tight in the cab. Especially when you need the security of the cabin if your shopping at multi store sites as you travel home.
    Some times one of my daughters or my wife may hitch a random ride and again if your got some shopping/gear it gets tight.

Plus I have a 4.8mtr Ally Craft runabout and need the 4x4 and heavier vehicle for launching flexibility.
    My previous Kluger AWD used to allow me to launch away from concrete boat ramp and launching amongst the many idiots on the concreter ramps at present is not my cup of tea anymore.

Thought about a extra cab, but getting heavier stuff like slabs out of the rear of an extra cab is not always the easiest I would think.

Re the loading of rocks or firewood, I meant from the soil yard's bob cat or their front loader.
    Cheers Garry

Check out the VW Transporter cab chassis Garry. Heaps more room than the Hilux both inside and out, but only about 400mm longer in length than the Hilux. Twin turbo diesel which is awesome on fuel. It tows our fully loaded camper trailer like it isn't even there. The factory aluminium tray is 2.2m long x 2.0m wide and 400mm high sides. It's like having a single cab ute sized tray on a dual cab. It is much more comfortable to drive than my hilux and the bench seat in the back lifts up for storage space so all my expensive tools are out of sight. I get about 800km's off a tank which normally takes about 70 Litres when the fuel light comes on with an 8th of a tank left.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Check out the VW Transporter cab chassis Garry. Heaps more room than the Hilux both inside and out, but only about 400mm longer in length than the Hilux. Twin turbo diesel which is awesome on fuel. It tows our fully loaded camper trailer like it isn't even there. The factory aluminium tray is 2.2m long x 2.0m wide and 400mm high sides. It's like having a single cab ute sized tray on a dual cab. It is much more comfortable to drive than my hilux and the bench seat in the back lifts up for storage space so all my expensive tools are out of sight. I get about 800km's off a tank which normally takes about 70 Litres when the fuel light comes on with an 8th of a tank left.
    Thanks,

I've been on the net checking them out and yours on facebook (not that I can log in to facebook). They look impressive, I will see the ute type in person soon.
    I am loyal to a major commercial client of mine and will only buy all of our families vehicles of them as they have been soooo good to me. They also have a VW dealership too, so that would be Ok.
    Cheers Garry

Fred, I thought you would of been onto the Toyota Tundra by now... saw one the other day, lawns and towing for the week days and off roading on the weekend. You'd love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast