Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: need solutions for late payment

  1. #31
    Member of Forum Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baulkham Hills
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    be very careful out there. there is so much scum waiting to bend another contractor over and not pay them. Doing work for a home owner will not be as hard to get money out of them, but doing it for builders or another company, I would be vary wary. The government couldn't care less about small business and all the laws are set up to protect scum that want to declare bankruptcy after paying themselves and their families all their companies money. Suppliers and contractors are left with nothing.

    I am caught up in this mess.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226818601223

  2. #32
    Member duck-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    i always ask for cash ON THE DAY - on completion for the first and last job, then if they want regular mowing I allow direct deposit payments - but they must be there when i start work, none of this i'll be home at 5, you start mowing at 4 and i'll meet you there nonsense

    I don't like the idea of someone moving out (tenants) and owing me money, where do ya go to collect if they dont pay?

    if they cant be there then I ask for pre payment into my bank which I have to see cleared before I do the job, or I go round and pick up the cash the day before or whatever - or at their risk they can leave cash on site for me - and I stress its at their risk

    if they cant work it out with me, I just walk away from the job, I just don't care enough about one mow to risk some idiot ripping me off - and im always too busy anyway, so its not like it costs me anything to walk away from a job or two - and very rarely do I have to walk away - once you stand up to them they cave in, theyre just trying it on ya - if you let them walk over you they will.

    have a good one

  3. #33

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    be very careful out there. there is so much scum waiting to bend another contractor over and not pay them. Doing work for a home owner will not be as hard to get money out of them, but doing it for builders or another company, I would be vary wary. The government couldn't care less about small business and all the laws are set up to protect scum that want to declare bankruptcy after paying themselves and their families all their companies money. Suppliers and contractors are left with nothing.

    I am caught up in this mess.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226818601223
    It's not good Stripes. Laws need to be changed but governments in general don't do enough for the guy trying to earn a fair dollar.
    Don't see Abbott doing much either, the opposite in fact!
    Hope you gets what's rightfully owed to you.

    In the meantime as I said in an earlier posts, anyone who offer credit terms to businesses may want to look into "creditor watch". Its $30 a month for me for some peace of mind. It may not help with this type of scum who seems to have planned it for a long time but it surely does help monitor companies
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  4. #34
    Member Vic TomS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Forest Hill Melbourne
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If you were getting e.g.carpet cleaning and got told upfront before he started the job would you pay ?
    What about getting the car fixed and got told upfront would you pay ?

    No..no one in there right mind pays for something upfront until they see if the work gets done correctly as to quoted price.
    You have to pay upfront if you want even a sandwich! And a mechanic can hold your car for ransom if you don't pay for the work he has done.

    Tenancy cleanups and other dodgy jobs: upfront
    One-off jobs: half upfront. you get a bit of confidence and the client still has something to withhold if they are unhappy.
    Regulars: 7 days.

    Tom

  5. #35
    Member Vic joeymoey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Caroline Springs Victoria
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    I've had very few non-payments and I've been in the game since 06.

    One was a lady who had Alzheimers and kept forgetting to pay me, after re-issuing the invoice for $40 five times I gave up.
    Another was a property developer who was always a PITA he didn't pay $100
    Then was a property cleanup pre-sale, my phone literally died so I no longer had their details to send the invoice. $400.
    Another was a property cleanup pre-sale, paid for 1 trailer load, ended up taking two, they disappeared. $100.

    So over 8 years, I've lost $640 which is really stuff all in the grand scheme of things.

    Always send your invoices ASAP, if not paid within 7 days I send them every week on wards until paid.

    As you remain in business, you will get a feel for people who won't pay or will stuff you around. Be firm and don't put up with it.

  6. #36
    Member of Forum Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baulkham Hills
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Commercial Mowing View Post
    In the meantime as I said in an earlier posts, anyone who offer credit terms to businesses may want to look into "creditor watch". Its $30 a month for me for some peace of mind. It may not help with this type of scum who seems to have planned it for a long time but it surely does help monitor companies
    Will definitely be engaging creditor watch. It may help in some instances at least.

    I have now lost 43k in a 25 month period from 3 companies going broke. Only this time this prick has tried to put my invoice through under his company, despite the work being done at his personal property, with the invoice made out to him personally with the address on it. I'll be seeking legal advice next week. Funnily enough according to the administrators initial report he sought legal advice about winding up his company the day we finished the last stage of work.

  7. #37
    Senior Member glassngrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sale, Vic
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Don't waste your time and emotional energy on it - handball it to a debt collector. In all likelihood they are aware of him from other debtors.
    The longer you take to get the collection agency involved, the less likely you are to get anything.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

  8. #38
    Senior Member glassngrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sale, Vic
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Will definitely be engaging creditor watch. It may help in some instances at least.
    ...
    I have now lost 43k in a 25 month period from 3 companies going broke..
    That's a lot to lose in just two years - and nothing will change if nothing changes.
    So yes - ALWAYS get an account terms signed when doing commercial work that includes a Director's Guarantee, and then put the ABN thru Creditor Watch before doing the work.
    The alternative - payment first.

    Oh, you don't need a court judgement to list a default on Creditor Watch :-)
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

  9. #39
    Senior Member kevinsuzanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    mildura,victoria
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Hi everyone, l now the feeling am always having to chase clients up for payments for work done. Have
    found the best clients to be the elderly they always pay same day.

  10. #40
    Senior Member djkgrounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deception Bay Qld
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Finished a big clean up job on 4th April for a Company called Auserv worth $1255. Sent the invoice that night. It is now 21 days late. I issued a Over due notice after 7 Days giving them another 7 days to pay. Still no word, I signed up for a free trial of Prushka Stickers http://www.prushka.com.au/forms/requ...tem_sample.cfm.

    Stuck one of the Final Demand stickers on the Invoice and emailed it through to the Contact and their Sales department. I had the Director of the company email me back stating that it will be payed instantly and sorry for it being over looked.

    Those stickers are Awesome. I highly recommend them to all Small business.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

  11. #41
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,766

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Finished a big clean up job on 4th April for a Company called Auserv worth $1255. Sent the invoice that night. It is now 21 days late. I issued a Over due notice after 7 Days giving them another 7 days to pay. Still no word, I signed up for a free trial of Prushka Stickers http://www.prushka.com.au/forms/requ...tem_sample.cfm.

    Stuck one of the Final Demand stickers on the Invoice and emailed it through to the Contact and their Sales department. I had the Director of the company email me back stating that it will be payed instantly and sorry for it being over looked.

    Those stickers are Awesome. I highly recommend them to all Small business.
    Do they just send one of each sticker 3 in total,or do you get a few more than that to trail.
    Good find
    Cheers

  12. #42
    Member yard mates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Baulkham Hills NSW
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Must admit, I've just had my first bad payer for a couple of unit blocks I "used to do". Always felt the people involved were dodgy but kept them on a short lead and never did more than one job on credit without making sure I was paid.

    They overpaid by a month in January, so come end of March I invoice and nothing.... chased it up this week and am informed that they overpaid me last time and don't owe anything. So I start quoting payment dates etc and all of a sudden its turns sour and I'm accused of not doing the work and thats why I'm not being paid, the indian woman on the end of the phone starts ranting and screaming. So decide its $70 and to just walk away and cut my losses. Told them I'll handball it for collection but its hardly worth the hassle.

    Still its frustrating that people like this exist and its just your word against theres. So if anyone gets a unit block in Blacktown and another in Homebush, be very wary...

  13. #43
    Senior Member AJD Mowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southerland Shire NSW
    Posts
    2,882

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Will definitely be engaging creditor watch. It may help in some instances at least.

    I have now lost 43k in a 25 month period from 3 companies going broke. Only this time this prick has tried to put my invoice through under his company, despite the work being done at his personal property, with the invoice made out to him personally with the address on it. I'll be seeking legal advice next week. Funnily enough according to the administrators initial report he sought legal advice about winding up his company the day we finished the last stage of work.
    That sucks Stripes he sounds like an Ahole... I hope you get your $$. I hear clubs like the Rebels or the Hells Angels have a good debit collection policy. Apparently they add their fee on top before knocking down the door.. Not that I would go that far but at the time you feel like it. I had a few swindlers that got me over the years when I was a Tradie.
    Good Luck
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

    http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

  14. #44
    Member irishjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bexley NSW
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    Hi everyone, l now the feeling am always having to chase clients up for payments for work done. Have
    found the best clients to be the elderly they always pay same day.
    Always the case.the oldies who don't have much pay straight away and give you extras at Xmas etc.the high flying docs and lawyers,your lucky if the say boo to ya and only pay for last mow before next one is due...

  15. #45
    Senior Member djkgrounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deception Bay Qld
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: need solutions for late payment

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Do they just send one of each sticker 3 in total,or do you get a few more than that to trail.
    Good find
    Cheers
    They send 15 of each which is pretty good I think, They will last a while, And can probably be reused or scanned for more if needed.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •