Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: quoting

Default quoting

Hi all.just wanting some feedback on this quote.its a regular lawn mowing job of $40 garden maintenance which is hand weeding in the garden beds and trimming of some fern which ill get the hedger out not to big. Hand weeding possible 2 hours thats was $150.then the back yard is a pool area with tall weeds so im going wippersnip and spray was $60 as I need to buy the spray clipping removal of $35.so total quote went like this .regular lawn mowing $40Front garden maintenance $150Back yardwippesnip$15Chemical application $45clippings taken away $35total 285.*Any ideas to improve on this would muchly appreciated. Im thinking around 3 to 4 hours of work just depending on handweeding.any preference on chemical to use would be good too as I havnt done spraying as yet.*By the way the clients did sort of hesitate when they seen total bill. Im thinking a little on the cheap side. Cheers guys*jason lawns covered

Default Re: quoting

Is it hand weeding in gardens? If so stick with spot spraying Round up, not to close to existing plants though. If the lawn is full of weeds try spraying with Di-Kamba, this is used to control broad leaf weeds like Bindi, clover, etc.

Also, what size is the lawn? are you mulching or catching?

Other than that your price seems reasonable, maybe a little cheap, but you will know after you finish whether or not you have under quoted.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Price sounds good to me.

I wouldn't put a price next to each item of work you do... it leaves it open for the customer to question the charge.

I put a full list of tasks and one just one price - being fairly elaborate on the tasks involved. If the customer has two quotes one has 'garden maintenance $60' and the other has 'mow, whipper snip, edge, green waste removal, clean all areas $100' even though they are the same thing the customer thinks they are getting more for the $100.

Thanks for the tip. One question on the edges. Should we alway put down in the quote that we do the edges.as once the edges have been established I just go over them wd the wipper snipper. Or should I be doing edges every service. On the tip fees or waist removed should I quote how much its going to cost me to use the tip or tip fee +petrol+extra for my pocket. Thanks guys for all the tips.

Don't say "edging" and "whipper snipping" together, just edging, and just do whatever is appropriate for each visit/job.With tip fees, just give a single price that incorporates everything together. I have fairly set base rates for tip runs, dependent on the tip fee itself and how long/hard it is to load the rubbish.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

My closest tip costs $45 just to enter seven hills

Even though you do the edges with the whip youre still doing the edges and you'd still be whipping what needed so id still separate them, you want to sound like you a providing more of a overall service than the guy that just "mows" even though he's probablh doing the same.

Regarding the tip fees Id add that in the overall price just tell your customer the price includes tip fees. You could always mention to them there are no hidden cost so if they are getting other quotes just be weary of it. Your openness may play In your favour. At the end of the day do what works for you and do what wins you quotes every one does things differently, this just works for me.

I do handyman work as well and being descriptive is a real winner to have quotes accepted by clients.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I just say lawnmowing & edging. Use the word wippersnipping and some clowns think the garden beds are included in the price.

Got a call to quote scarifying 20m2. Bit of a joke really. Still, Will quote the minimum and see if they fall over backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Got a call to quote scarifying 20m2. Bit of a joke really. Still, Will quote the minimum and see if they fall over backwards.
    Yer sounds a bit weird for 20sqm. Do you need to hire the machine and if you do . Do you add the price to hire the machine in the qiuote. I dont think they will get up after they fall. im looking to add that into my buisness sometime down the track iv heard it can be a good little earner for$$$$. Good luck anyways.
    Jason
    Lawns covered

I have my own scarifyer, so usually build hire cost into the quote to recoupe the initial buy. But this job (quote is tomorrow),say 4hr hire $75. Hour to do job $60. Dumping $60. Total $195. Realistically you probably could only ask $100. 20m2 is too small.