Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: COX LAWN BOSS – 13.5HP Briggs & Stratton Engine, 32”CUT

Default Re: COX LAWN BOSS – 13.5HP Briggs & Stratton Engine, 32”CUT

I've got a ramp as the back of my trailer but for 15 or more years l used ramps made from 50mm pine. They had a piece of bed frame angle bolted under one end that slipped over the trailer door. I cut them to just fit inside the trailer, so almost 6' long they are still my preferred ramps and felt much more comfortable to me, a bit heavier but easier to drag out and didn't have to worry about them being pinched. The length meant the deck never hit either....which is to do with the height of the back of the trailer. From memory the deck adjustment isn't much.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

IMG_20140222_080346.jpg
    IMG_20140222_080422.jpg
    I hope this works - new tablet.

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

When first time got the ztr rideon, I manually pulled it off to the ground since didnt have the gut to reverse down. Had never got problem to drive up.
    After few times practive doing reverse down, now i get used to it already, not so hard as the first time.
    I Always use the slowest throttle

[QUOTE=steveo;130080]Thanks Geoff. Did you reverse it up or reverse it down? What did you get after the cox?

.got another cox the bigger tractor new era ,was ok then ventured in the dark world of the hustler z turn with scary rides on slopes lol......

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    My Cox nearly always scraps the deck going up or down on my curved ramps. I sometimes pull the deck lever up and hold it while I load the mower sometimes this helps just depends on the lay of the land, not much to worry about. I have never had my mower flip on me going up or down the ramps. I have had the front wheels lift off the ground though as I had the throttle up full throttle and I was backing down ramps fast so decided to slow down by hitting forward, front wheels lifted off the ramp for a second and scared the s##t out of me, ever since I don't have the mower running at high throttle only just above idle.
    It is a strange feeling reversing down the ramps but you will get used to it. I am training the new owner of my business to use both mowers and he has the same feeling. I watch his hands they are shaking when he backs the mowers down the ramps.
    HAHHAHA. My hands are clenched too tight for any shaking. Thanks mate, great advice there. I have always believed you learn by mistakes but you don't learn by really big ones.

Redeye, what a great idea with that angle iron, might save me drilling holes in the trailer and ramps. Gee those ramps look narrow though. I mount my ramps over the sides of the trailer. Over some uprights that sit it in the RHS uprights on the corners. If I didn't do that I just wouldn't have the room to carry any thing else as those curved ramps are bloody heavy and awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    HAHHAHA. My hands are clenched too tight for any shaking. Thanks mate, great advice there. I have always believed you learn by mistakes but you don't learn by really big ones.
    Its easier to learn by others mistakes, thats WHY you asked the question
    Cheers Fred.

those ramps are 290mm wide, (my alu bought ones are only 230) they feel a lot safer to use

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post

Hi Edbeek. Do you reckon reversing up just feels safer or is it actually safer assuming everything is else is right i.e. secure ramps, good traction and good deck clearance.
    I suppose if you are afraid of falling, it feels safer if you can see where you are going to land. But really it's no big deal. If the ramps are secure and not slippery, just drive a straight line and you won't fall off.

Might help your confidence if you measure up some slopes and see what your mower is capable of climbing up safely. You will probably find that you are comfortable on angles much steeper than what your ramp angle is. Mind over matter

Im no expert but, to me it seems safer reversing up provided you steer straight & don't run off the ramps.
    Reverse would be your lowest gear & it would be impossible to flip.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers Fred.

Fred who gave you all the common sense in this family LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Im no expert but, to me it seems safer reversing up provided you steer straight & don't run off the ramps.
    Reverse would be your lowest gear & it would be impossible to flip.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers Fred.
    That's what i want to hear Fred, it's what i was kinda thinking, but just needed someone else to think it. And going down forward is no greater risk. The other advantage I see is that it is easier to lean back than to crouch forward to counterbalance the weight if it feels necessary to do so. If you don't see me posting on this forum for a month you'll know that your impossible to flip comment was incorrect and you will have yet again learnt by someone elses mistake ;-)

I run my ZTR up ramps onto the back of my truck, stands a lot higher than a trailer and I will only ever reverse ...though most people have heart failure watching me lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

The cox blade disc has four holes for blades but only two are currently fitted with blades. Is it normal to run 2 or 4 swingback blades?

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mow And Go View Post
    I run my ZTR up ramps onto the back of my truck, stands a lot higher than a trailer and I will only ever reverse ...though most people have heart failure watching me lol
    You want to be careful. I have a full width ramp and when its wet & the ztr tyres are muddy I slide sideways even when backing up..

6 months ago I got a call from a mate working in the next street. Had to go and pick him up off the ground after he slid his Cox off the ramps. He's been using a Cox for years but just f*kc up. Mower flipped over. Trashed the mower. Lucky it didn't land on him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast