Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Wireless weather sensor?

Default Wireless weather sensor?

Hey guys, just wondering what wireless rain sensor any of you prefer to use & whether or not the receiver can be placed outdoors with no weather protection? It would be nearby to the valve box which will have a node controller inside.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Wireless weather sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by cylo View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering what wireless rain sensor any of you prefer to use & whether or not the receiver can be placed outdoors with no weather protection? It would be nearby to the valve box which will have a node controller inside.

Thanks for your help.
    Stripes will answer best but, the rain sensor has to be exposed to the weather or it wouldn't work.
    There are internal & external controllers, if mounted outside you obviously need the external.
    My wife's folks in Canada had a guy install a system & he mounted the rain sensor under the eaves eyes:
    Im pretty sure you need direct line of view between the sensor & the controller.
    Ive installed quite a few with wires but only one without, it worked fine.
    We haven't done irrigation for a few years now, as I said Stripes will be up with the latest.
    Cheers Fred.

Cheers Fred, yea the sensor I would mount on gutter or similar. Should be able to get close to line of sight, I haven't seen anything in writing as yet whether the receiver can be exposed to rain/sunlight etc If receiver needs to be out of the weather, then I would be best of using the wired rain sensor and running wires down post/under ground etc in conduit. Just wanting to save an hr or 2 and maybe end up with a neater job for not a great deal more cost.

Unfortunately you have to have a hard wired sensor if using a Node (battery operated solenoid valve).

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Unfortunately you have to have a hard wired sensor if using a Node (battery operated solenoid valve).
    No worries, thanks for your help!

OOpps I did not see that. Yeah as Stripes said hard wire only on Nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    OOpps I did not see that. Yeah as Stripes said hard wire only on Nodes.
    Thanks for the advice Im now wondering, since I have to run the wires for rain sensor, maybe I should have thought about running the wires over to building under cover for a controller, rather than paying the extra for the waterproof node. Anyhow it will be nice and neat having everything inside the green box!