Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Holden Rodeo - V6 Petrol - what's your experience?

Default 2001 Holden Rodeo - V6 Petrol - what's your experience?

Hey Lads,
    My 1997 Mitsubishi triton has been deemed an economic write-off after a small bingle last week. I'm on a limited budget and have come across a decent 2001 Rodeo for sale within my price range and available now.

I'm just wanting to know you own experiences with TF Rodeos. I have heard fuel consumption is the main gripe but I'm not too bothered as it will only be filling a gap for the next 12 - 18 months until I purchase a new vehicle.

Does the V6 tow well enough? Cabin size and comfort ( I'm 6ft 5 )? Reliability? Things to look out for? Pros? Cons?

Default Re: 2001 Holden Rodeo - V6 Petrol - what's your experience?

Brother in law (6'3"tall)had one for many years,duel cab ute V6 with canopy.He used it for lawn mowing and sold it to a relative and he's getting a good run from it.

That's why i'm thinking of buying a later model RA single cab with tray.

as you said, they're very thirsty

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by mowbro View Post
    Hey Lads,
    My 1997 Mitsubishi triton has been deemed an economic write-off after a small bingle last week. I'm on a limited budget and have come across a decent 2001 Rodeo for sale within my price range and available now.

I'm just wanting to know you own experiences with TF Rodeos. I have heard fuel consumption is the main gripe but I'm not too bothered as it will only be filling a gap for the next 12 - 18 months until I purchase a new vehicle.

Does the V6 tow well enough? Cabin size and comfort ( I'm 6ft 5 )? Reliability? Things to look out for? Pros? Cons?
    I have a 2001 Dual Cab Rodeo V6 Petrol.
    Awesome reliable car, have owned mine now for 2 years, had 180,000km on it when I bought it. No issues whatsoever, touch wood.
    Mine is automatic and I tow my large trailer every day. Brilliant in towing.
    Cabin size and comfort is good, I'm 6ft 3 and have no problems.
    Shocking on fuel when towing yes. I am lucky to get 200km out of a tank of a fuel if the trailer is on the whole time.

Wow! That's the worst fuel consumption I've heard yet. How big / heavy is your trailer setup, Matt?

One of our work utes is the next model up Rodeo, 20L/100km with no load and no trailer, completely stock. The diesels on the other hand, my old boss had an '02 diesel manual single cab with a steel tray. We loaded that up with tools and a stump grinder on the trailer, we ALWAYS got at least 400km to 40L (boss only wanted us filling it up with 40L). It's only downfall was lack of maintenance, brakes were worn down to metal on metal and the handbrake cable snapped, even then it took a few weeks to get it off the road >_>. Apart from that it was a pretty solid ute.
    Cert III Arborist

Wow! That's the worst fuel consumption I've heard yet. How big / heavy is your trailer setup, Matt?
    Here's the trailer. Loaded up with ride-on, push mower etc. Trailer with gear in it would be 750kg.
    Yep they are thirsty Rodeo's. Having said that having a trailer this size more than doubles your fuel usage I've established.
    When we moved back to Sydney from Melbourne I towed this trailer back with some gear in it in the wife's Ford Territory. Fuel consumption for the trip was 24 litres to 100km. Trips to and from Melbourne without the trailer where 9.4 litres to 100km otherwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Here's the trailer. Loaded up with ride-on, push mower etc. Trailer with gear in it would be 750kg.
    Yep they are thirsty Rodeo's. Having said that having a trailer this size more than doubles your fuel usage I've established.
    When we moved back to Sydney from Melbourne I towed this trailer back with some gear in it in the wife's Ford Territory. Fuel consumption for the trip was 24 litres to 100km. Trips to and from Melbourne without the trailer where 9.4 litres to 100km otherwise.
    Yeah, my trailer would be very similar I'd say.

My Triton was only a 4 cylinder - seemed to pull ok - except struggled when the trailer was really packed with heavy green waste or soil / gravel. But while it would have done 9l / 100k without the trailer, it would defiantwly have done almost double that when the trailer was fully loaded.

Matt, have you made any mods or upgrades to your Rodeo?

Doesn't the Rodeo have the same V6 as the commodore,as commodore V6 has ample power

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Doesn't the Rodeo have the same V6 as the commodore,as commodore V6 has ample power
    No. Some of the Colarado's did. The older ones are the Izuzu engine. The 3.2 and 3.6 engines were ok, but stay away from the 3.5. They use excesive amounts of oil from new, and is an endless money pit. When I bought mine (2004 model), it had 2 burnt out valves and worn rings with only 12000 on it. Now the engine is leaking presure into the water system.
    A few weeks ago I bought a new hilux workmate, and its a dream in every way. The only thing I found strange was there is no intermittent setting on the wipers, and no central locking.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Rodeo's have the 3.2lt Isuzu engine. Mine is a 2002, very reliable, heaps of power, enough cab space. I tow 1.2ton every day in hilly areas and get around 18lt/100km. Roughly 250kms tank. Only gripe is the fuel use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    No. Some of the Colarado's did. The older ones are the Izuzu engine. The 3.2 and 3.6 engines were ok, but stay away from the 3.5. They use excesive amounts of oil from new, and is an endless money pit. When I bought mine (2004 model), it had 2 burnt out valves and worn rings with only 12000 on it. Now the engine is leaking presure into the water system.
    A few weeks ago I bought a new hilux workmate, and its a dream in every way. The only thing I found strange was there is no intermittent setting on the wipers, and no central locking.
    Im looking for another vehicle at the moment, started looking at toyota single cab/chasis vdj79r workmate.
    They want close to 60K, no tray & you have to wind up your own windows
    Its very hard to justify their price tag until it comes time to sell.
    I think toyotas hold their value better than anything else on the market though.
    Cheers Fred.

I was advised to stay clear of holden utes with v6 engines from my mechanic as they become very expensive when they have a lot of k's on the clock. Second hand engines can be very hard to get if something goes wrong with the original engine. I almost bought a Holden colorado v6 a bit over a year ago as it was nice to drive and had heaps of power. I purchased a Ford falcon ute instead( on advise from my mechanic and searching the net) as there are plenty around and cheap engines in good condition are easy to source if something goes wrong.

If you are wanting to stick to a petrol ute with good towing capacity I would recommend the ford falcon. I tow about 1.2 ton in stop/start traffic around town and it gets about 17.5 litres per 100 k/m, and less then 10 litres on the highway without a load.

The only way to reduce the fuel usage is buying a diesel. I owned two different 4 cylinder petrol utes prior to the falcon and wore out both motors towing heavy loads. The other reason I went petrol is so I could get it with an auto. I also got a transmission cooler installed because of the heavy loads I was towing.

Thirst, thirsty and did i mention thirsty.

Yeah, my trailer would be very similar I'd say.

My Triton was only a 4 cylinder - seemed to pull ok - except struggled when the trailer was really packed with heavy green waste or soil / gravel. But while it would have done 9l / 100k without the trailer, it would defiantwly have done almost double that when the trailer was fully loaded.

Matt, have you made any mods or upgrades to your Rodeo?
    No haven't made any modifications or upgrades. Standard dual cab with canopy. Standard tyres. Tows well with the air conditioning on as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast