Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape Design qualifications

Hybrid View

Default Landscape Design qualifications

Thinking about doing a Diploma of Landscape design, looking to add another string to my bow that doesn't involve the heavy work for when I get older. Anyone here have the qualifications ? Are they worth the time and money etc?
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Default Re: Landscape Design qualifications

I have been interested in this as well. I am good at the building and designing side of things, just really useless on the technical names of plants etc.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

You need to enrol in horticultural college.I did 2.5 years and had to pull out not getting my diploma due to being to busy landscaping.

The guys who are most successful are running a business like a garden nursery and expand into landscaping,this is what i had to compete up against.Yes you can turn over a quarter of a mill in your second or third year if everything falls into place like it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You need to enrol in horticultural college.I did 2.5 years and had to pull out not getting my diploma due to being to busy landscaping.

The guys who are most successful are running a business like a garden nursery and expand into landscaping,this is what i had to compete up against.Yes you can turn over a quarter of a mill in your second or third year if everything falls into place like it did for me.

Are you making $250k per year drawing gardens? Why the hell are you on here talking about cutting grass, mowers etc?

Courty, Id research about where that Dip will actually get you. I mean, there are landscape co's going under here at the moment. A very large one just folded recently.
    I reckon you need to get in with established building co's, landscapers etc but most would already have designers/architects etc.
    Not saying don't do it, just call around landscapers, research it a heap before you sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Are you making $250k per year drawing gardens? Why the hell are you on here talking about cutting grass, mowers etc?

Courty, Id research about where that Dip will actually get you. I mean, there are landscape co's going under here at the moment. A very large one just folded recently.
    I reckon you need to get in with established building co's, landscapers etc but most would already have designers/architects etc.
    Not saying don't do it, just call around landscapers, research it a heap before you sign up.
    Are you making $250k per year drawing gardens? Why the hell are you on here talking about cutting grass, mowers etc? I was expecting to make a extra 50thou each year

That was over 20 years ago with the Keating Gov.t..when he said we had to have this recession is when my phone stopped ringing.
    All jobs were completed,4 guys were told there services were no longer required.

I sold off the tipper,bobcat,trailer and rest of plant.I was out of work,declared myself bankrupt.Just held onto the house and it took me 10 years to payout the debt.Went back to lawn mowing.

The bigger you get the bigger the fall.Decided to use the KISS system.

My Nephew is doing this as a diploma at Uni. He reckons its a very popular course.
    Apparently, he said that councils are going to demand a landscape designer's plan before any major front of the property garden renos are made. (must be things like retaining walls and the like)
    Also when a new house is designed, they will require a landscape designer's plan for tall the gardens also.
    So it seems to be the job of the future if this all happens.
    I reckon go for it Courty
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Hey Courty.
    Completed the 3-year Diploma in Garden Design in 2003.
    Studying the course was intense at times,but if you have a genuine desire do the course.Go for it.
    I operate on a small scale,with the design layout/plant sourcing by myself + installation assisted with offsiders.
    Hard landscaping is done by sub-contractors who i have worked with over the years.
    Staying small scale reduces risk,easier to manage the workload + cashflow.
    I would use the principals + concepts of the course almost everday.
    The course is a good starting point,but i found i had to do alot of additional research to conduct business.
    The cost was approx 15k when i studied the course.Which required upfront payments and there is not any goverment subsidy.

Cheers Astro.

Hi courty, Diplomas can be quite labour intensive and also expensive usually $10 thousand plus with no
    rebates unless you want to go on the hecs scheme .Goodluck

Thanks chaps
    It turns out the closest TAFE to me doing the course is Ipswich/Bundamba which is a 3hr round trip. I couldn't commit to that, so that kinda kills it for me.
    There seems to be TAFE campus's everywhere up here but they never have the course you want
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    Thanks chaps
    It turns out the closest TAFE to me doing the course is Ipswich/Bundamba which is a 3hr round trip. I couldn't commit to that, so that kinda kills it for me.
    There seems to be TAFE campus's everywhere up here but they never have the course you want
    Hi Courty ,If its purely the design your interested in have you thought about doing it at uni? With tafe I believe you don't start the design part to around cert 4 or 5.,

That happens down here in NSW too, lots of TAFE's but not lots of choices of courses

allrighty then Re: Landscape Design qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    That happens down here in NSW too, lots of TAFE's but not lots of choices of courses
    ACS [australian correspence school] has some quite good courses online did some back in 2000
    found them very good and through to they have many courses in Hort-certificate and Diplomas
    in many subjects

When you can no longer mow why dont you just open a boutique brewery instead. At least when business is slow you will have something to drink.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

hmmm, I like it!

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Hi guys just out of interest, I'm thinking very hard about doing my horticulture cert 2,3, I spoke with the tafe teacher today and recomended me starting with cert 2.3 then hit up the diploma,
    I'm thinking about my long term future in this industry, love the mowing and garden work etc, but in the long term I'm thinking if something happened to me I may need some certificate behind me to get some sort of desk job, what are your thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast