Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stihl vs Shindaiwa

Default Stihl vs Shindaiwa

Last week whilst at Cannings (arborists specialty store) I got talking to a guy who's business is Hedgemaster.
    Thought i'd pick his brain as he does nothing but hedges.
    He had heaps of gear in the back of his van so I quizzed him on Stihl vs Shindaiwa which he had plenty of both.
    He said that he likes the combination of both, the Stihl for the thicker stuff, the shindy for the finer stuff.
    I only have shindy which I have been very happy with for many years.
    My only wish being that the shindy being able to cut through slightly thicker stuff .
    Im considering purchasing the Stihl for the sole purpose of cutting through the middle of the tops of larger hedges.
    Ive picked up a Stihl before which felt considerably heavier & in my op not as well balanced.
    Anyone used both & have an opinion ?
    Cheers Fred.

Default Re: Stihl vs Shindaiwa

Sorry, should have mentioned I meant multi tool hedge cutters.
    Cheers Fred.

have used both, the shindaiwa is a little more refined and I personally think the power comes on a little more smoothly and as you mentioned, I feel the weight distribution is better in the M230 than any of the stihls I have used
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Last week whilst at Cannings (arborists specialty store) I got talking to a guy who's business is Hedgemaster.
    Thought i'd pick his brain as he does nothing but hedges.
    He had heaps of gear in the back of his van so I quizzed him on Stihl vs Shindaiwa which he had plenty of both.
    He said that he likes the combination of both, the Stihl for the thicker stuff, the shindy for the finer stuff.
    I only have shindy which I have been very happy with for many years.
    My only wish being that the shindy being able to cut through slightly thicker stuff .
    Im considering purchasing the Stihl for the sole purpose of cutting through the middle of the tops of larger hedges.
    Ive picked up a Stihl before which felt considerably heavier & in my op not as well balanced.
    Anyone used both & have an opinion ?
    Cheers Fred.
    Hey fred.
    I use a combination of stihl fs 130-heavy duty,echo 265-medium duty,shindy ah 230-light/fine work.All dedicated articulated hedgers as i prefer the transfer at the gearbox not on the split shaft.
    The echo has a cutting blade which will acheive cutting thicker wood like the stihl but is better balanced + lighter in weight than the stihl.
    When cutting larger diameter wood the stihl is the option i would use.Any thicker and i bring out the 021.
    Maybe consider a fs85r + fit a articulated hedger,if weight + balance are paramount.
    I prefer the japanese ope because their ultra precise + reliable + balanced.
    The stihl ope will sort any thing thats left.

Cheers Astro.

I have the Stihl KM130 powerhead with articulated trimmer-head and extension piece. Heavy to use/balance with the extension on when on a platform and reaching out horizontally for a wide hedge. I still can't get used to the engine the way it revs. If you hold it on full throttle it sounds like it's valve-bouncing. It's great through heavier hedges like overgrown, unpruned Murraya etc and will nibble it's way through thicker branches (but I really need to buy the chainsaw extension).

That guy sounds like a good guy to know Fred. Did you chat to him about ladders and trestles etc?

It's interesting you mention this guy's business as with many recent events here I'm thinking I'm going to either wind-up my business altogether or or if I stick with it, concentrate solely on hedges and shrubs too. Too many cheap-arsed mongrels doing mowing for next to nothing here now.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I do a lot of hedges and am usually buggered if doing them all week. Kind of like having mowing in the mix to give the muscles a rest. Have used komatsu multitool, similar to shindi and Stihl KM90 & KM130 Kombi. All good but got frustrated on jobs the equipment wasn't heavy enough for. Decided to suck it up and currently go heavy duty with Stihl 130Kombi & Husquvana 226HD60s hedgetrimmer. Articulated and double cutting blades. Both quality machines and trim diosmas or rough stuff very well. Although the Husky can get a bit heavy when trimming a lot of low diosmas.

Ive noticed that hedgetrimming is a bit of a niche market here. If your good at it your name gets passed around and the work keeps coming. Not every fella can do a good job of it.

It seems to be a business of it's own,we got a guy here called "The Hedge Man"
    http://www.yellowpages.com.au/sa/ken...7-listing.html

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Yeah. Saw him about the place back about 6yrs ago when I had a round in the north eastern suburbs. Had another fella with him.

Well I've got:

Stihl HS81R - 800mm + double sided blades - does weigh a considerable amount, can't beat it for cut quality
    Stihl KM130R - with articulated hedger attachment and pole saw attachment - great for tops of hedges - wish it was lighter
    Stihl Hs56Ce - lightweight - 600mm bar - doesn't cut as well as the 81R however it is great for thicker stuff and the first run over
    And I've got a base model echo - used for really crappy jobs

I use a Stihl HS81R it really is hard on my back on larger hedges but does cut through thicker stuff fairly easy.
    I dont do a lot of hedges but something lighter for the smaller stuff would be worth getting.

Thanx to those who replied.
    Think I'll give the Stihl a go.
    Paul, the shindy will "nibble" its way through thicker stuff also but that's what I was trying to avoid.
    I didn't talk to him re ladders/trestles as Im pretty happy in that area & its become too contentious to talk about here.
    Thanx Astro, maybe the 130 in short bursts for the thicker stuff might be the go.
    GS, yes I too like to mix it up with a bit of mowing/gardening, its hard physical work hour after hour, not to mention the monotony!
    Cheers Fred.

So the km 90 & the km130 only have 100g diff in weight yet, 50% diff in power according to the Stihl website ?
    I don't even think you would pick 100g diff in weight ?
    Id have to go the 130 if that's the case.
    Are they traditional 2 stroke, or the new 4 mix ?
    The site doesn't seem to say.
    Anyone had any probs with the 130 ?
    I love multi tools, they're so versatile, I'd have to grab the snipper head also.
    Cheers Fred.

Bought a km130 a couple of months back, it's the 4 mix engine. Have got the hedger attachment and brushcutter attachment. No problems as yet starts first or second pull. Although when I bought mine the dealer did say something about a big tree mob that had a lot problems over summer with theirs. Something to do with not enough oil even though it was mixed at the right ratio. So I was told on really hot days to add a bit more oil to the mix. Not too sure but something along those lines anyway.

make sure the valves are set correctly REGULARLY and keep the oil ratio right. still a bastard to start when hot. each to their own
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I don't think its the brand , I really think its luck these days and 9 times out of 10 you get a good reliable machine. I have the km 90, and it is used everyday on hedges it start first or second pull and runs all day if need be.Then you hear of the guy that has one and has nothing but trouble, it happens with every brand. If I buy a machine and it starts to play up a bit more then it should , I off load it.In this game you need good reliable gear, not something that takes 10 minutes to start every time you use it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast