Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIXON ZTR 44" with 22hp Briggs & Stratton motor

Hybrid View

Default DIXON ZTR 44" with 22hp Briggs & Stratton motor

DIXON ZTR 44" fabricated deck with 22hp Briggs & Stratton motor

Does anyone have feedback on one of these or what to look out for if buying second-hand? There's one coming up at a farm clearing sale near me and I'm hoping it might go cheap.

Default Re: DIXON ZTR 44" with 22hp Briggs & Stratton motor

Just spoke to my local dealer who actually sold this machine to his client and has full service records for it which makes me a bit more confident to have a bid.

how many hours? they are a sealed hydro unit and not a big one either ...hope it hasn't been flogged being a farm unit otherwise overheating within the hydro may be an issue. I walked away from a Dixon 54" a few mths ago for this reason
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Hours unknown at this point. The hydros control the turning of the mower through the rear wheels, is that right? Being sealed means not rebuildable or serviceable?

yeah the hydros are what control the drive at the wheels, similar system to a bobcat. being sealed means exactly that, not rebuildable or serviceable ...FEW are but not viable or worthwhile. If youre on a tighter budget, maybe search for a commercial grade machine second hand in good nick, they come up from time to time.

This is a slightly older Dixon that was supposedly their commercial model. Apparently Husqvarna have now taken over Dixon and are just rebranding some Husqvarna models as Dixons. The dealer I spoke to is having little to do with the new models.

Paul, if you go to the clearance sale have a look at what areas have been mowed, most farm mowers are just used to mow around the house and maybe the orchard. Be aware of getting caught up in the bidding as I have seen old stuff sell for the price of new or even more than new price.

Yes David it does look possibly like the 'house block' mower from the low res pics I've seen. Retail was about $6000 on this one when new and the dealer said if they were to freshen it up for resale they'd probably ask about $3000. If I have a bid I'd hope to pick it up for well under $2000. It's last major service was in November last year and had a fair bit done to it on that service.

Going to this sale in the morning. What's the easiest way to tell if the spindles etc are worn with the mower on the ground. Also from videos I've watched on Youtube regarding hydros it seems if they are worn it will groan and won't have a lot of drive. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Going to this sale in the morning. What's the easiest way to tell if the spindles etc are worn with the mower on the ground. Also from videos I've watched on Youtube regarding hydros it seems if they are worn it will groan and won't have a lot of drive. Is that right?
    To check the spindles, release the tension on the belt, grab the blade and feel if it wiggles in any direction ie up / down, side to side etc. If theres more than a tiny bit of movement its probably no good.
    Hydros arent so easy to tell. You need to drive the thing and let it warm up. If theres any kind of shudder when pushing forward on the sticks, its no good. Drive it up a hill and see how they feel.
    Hydros should be responsive. Expect a "whine" from them but no, they shouldnt groan. Thing with hydros is, they can fail at any time. Its always going to be a risk.

It would be a good idea to have someone with experience test drive the machine before purchase.

i did try to respond earlier but my internet farked out again. as mick said, try and grab a blade on both ends if possible and try and wobble it. it shouldn't wobble. as for hydros, way I know is a good indication, put the machine on a SLIGHT hill on an angle and try to turn up it from both sides. it will show any signs of problems fairly quickly. they shouldn't groan at all nor should they be any slower one side to the other.

any luck Paul?

Unfortunately not. Me and a couple of others walked away at around $1700. It ended up selling for nearly $2900 + GST.

bugger that lol a lot of money for a second hand machine, but at least had a GST invoice. keep your eye open mate, good machines pop up occasionally for a good price. I got my toro for a steal cause the guy didn't know what it was lol

You can pick up a new Dixon either 42in or 48in for just over $6000. and being near YOFY you could get them for a bit less. In that price is about $600 gst which you get back immediately from ATO, and then you have write off's on your tax which makes buying a new mower a lot more attractive over a 2nd hand one. and considering that Briggs motors are usually only reliable for a thousand hours as against thousands of hours for Kawasaki and kohler motors, buying a 2nd hand mower with a briggs motor is not a real good move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast