Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: oregon blade grinder

Default Re: oregon blade grinder

Try looking at www:magna-matic.com. I have just purchased a magnamatic 9000 and am saving heaps on blade re sharpening for ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMS View Post
    Try looking at www:magna-matic.com. I have just purchased a magnamatic 9000 and am saving heaps on blade re sharpening for ride on.
    Where did you get yours from and what sort of pricing are we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    Where did you get yours from and what sort of pricing are we talking?
    I got one from them a few years ago too - mid 2012. It was about $900 shipped to Aust. with a couple extra grinding wheels. I think they had a small winter discount also - through lawnsite at the time

Make sure you get it shipped to your door - fed ex or similar I think. Not any freight company.

Works a treat. Quick and easy.

Make sure you get a blade balancer also - I think Indy has one in his shop

Got mine direct from Magna Matic in the states - cost landed incl freight &gst -= $1300. Decision to buy one was made when local machinery dealer charged me $150 plus gst to sharpen & balance 3 blades as opposed to previous charge of $30 plus gst. Their reason was it took time and obviously was not a profitable task for them. Now, I get at least five sharpens from a set of blades and on one of my mower desks , the tough cut slasher, the blades get a fair hiding slashing. Best investment yet.

Thanks guys I'll save up some dollars it seems.

I to am sick of shops sharpening. Most use an angle grinder and we end up with blued metal (weakened) and they charge a small fortune for it.

Been thinking about buying one for a while now. Just going to have to pull the pin

4 things in the shed I wouldnt be without, compressor, IR impart, Magnamatic sharpener and balancer! The Manga stuff is worth the expense I reckon. Saves time, safer to use, get more life out of blades etc.
    If you go for Magna, get the balancer as well in the package and extra grinding wheels. Yes, it is quite expensive but it should last you forever, besides the wheel and the little table!

what about the fridge

Man those sharpeners are expensive!

Bar blades are only $20-$30 each for my machines so I find it hard to justify getting a sharpener.
    Also my mower guy only charges $10-$15 for a sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by joeymoey View Post

Bar blades are only $20-$30 each for my machines so I find it hard to justify getting a sharpener.
    During the season I can sharpen blades 3 or 4 times a week! So going off your numbers, thats min $30/week x say 30 weeks= $900 Thats not even counting the cost of the blades.
    You'll get longer life out of blades if sharpened regularly. Believe it or not! Your taking little off often rather than a lot off seldom.

It doesnt take long to make your money back if you mow with sharp blades. If you dont use sharp blades, well, whatever…..

Quote Originally Posted by joeymoey View Post

Is that $10-15 per blade?

We run 3 blades per mower deck so each mower would be costing us

$15 x 3 = $45

$45 x 3 sharpens per week = $135

$135 x 3 average weeks in a month = $405 x 12 months = $5,265

Just some rough calculations to think about to help justify a purchase of a sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    4 things in the shed I wouldnt be without, compressor, IR impart, Magnamatic sharpener and balancer! The Manga stuff is worth the expense I reckon. Saves time, safer to use, get more life out of blades etc.
    If you go for Magna, get the balancer as well in the package and extra grinding wheels. Yes, it is quite expensive but it should last you forever, besides the wheel and the little table!
    +1 .

Would love a magna-matic but will have to settle for the old bench grinder for now, Wonder if theres a cheaper version?

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Lawnmowing View Post
    Would love a magna-matic but will have to settle for the old bench grinder for now, Wonder if theres a cheaper version?

There are but theyre a little more fiddly by the looks, well, the Oregon is.
    Oregon… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWI-108BvMk
    RBG…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJsAcfx8x7c

Wanna get serious……(about US $3000) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfsFwOkJJU
    Probably the best option out there would be thi$… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvgvEpAHT3M

At the end of the day, Im a fan of the Magnamatic. Its compact size, ease of use, built quality make it best suited for me.
    Sure, its expensive but the time saved sharpening blades makes it worth it. I can take off, sharpen and balance and reinstall 3 blades in well under 10mins. Thats worth it to me. It just a part of my morning ritual or mini service the machine (ie, oil, blow off coolers, deck etc) before heading out. To me, thats worth the expense as Im not screwing around with angle or bench grinders. Been there done that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyZy0cctOQ